Hitch + Isolation Relay Pack = $48.00 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Hitch + Isolation Relay Pack = $48.00

Hello all, I just got back from a 3 day camping weekend doing the Wisconsin stretch of the Mississippi. I decided to invest in a trailer for my 05 LT and admit I should have done this sooner. I checked out the available hitches and relay packs currently available and wasn't overly impressed with any of the designs or PRICES. So, I decided to build them.

Receiver & Hitch
I built a receiver for the frame which can be removed (rear tire removal) with 6 stainless steel allen head bolts. The hitch attaches to the receiver by 3 stainless steel allen head bolts, which allows the hitch to be switched to a basket for camping gear, cooler or wife's shopping. All bolts are drilled and stainless steel wire tied for security. Cost: $36.00 material + 14 hrs labor (mine = free)

Isolation Relay Pack
I ordered 5 (1 spare) 15 amp single pole double throw (SPDT) relays online and wired them up. They didn't need to be double throw, but at $1.29 each, I decided not to look any further. Cost: $12.00 relays & shipping + 5 pin receptacle, wire and labor.

If anyone would be interested in giving it a go and saving some money (FOR GAS!), pm me if you have any questions or need a wiring schematic. Wiring and installing the relay pack is VERY easy.

I wanted to take this opportunity to possibly help someone else out in appreciation for all the info I have benefited from over the last year. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:51 pm

Got any pictures? I might interested in being a guinea pig

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #3 of 5 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

Cory,

I'd be interested in pictures and specs/wiring diagram/instructions for the electrical. I already have a hitch and the trailer is en-route, but need to know how to prep the wiring.

TIA

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 5 Old May 28th, 2007, 4:10 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Same here post some pics please

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:06 am

Need help tapping into the bike's wiring. Right now I have a wire running from the tail lamp housing, but I am looking for something cleaner. Any pictures of where to tap the bike's wiring for stop, turns, and tail lamps?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in