Smile Dropping problem solved

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/bikes/...ult.asp?Id=391

Lloyd Morris
'99 LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 2:09 pm

Seen um on a Gold Wing

I saw something similar to these on a Gold Wing at Deals Gap about 2 years ago. As I understand it, they were speed activated. The couple riding were on the older side. Since I'm in my early 60's, my reference to older is probably considered very old by a significant number of those on this forum. Anyway, I never saw them come down. The couple was leaving the area and were stopped. Upon acceleration, the wheels lifted and by about 75 to 100 feet they were completely retracted. My guess is that if they had to make a very quick stop, the bike would be down.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Of course there's a current thread going [LANDING GEAR (TRAINING WHEELS) that has a boatload of activity. Thought I'd add my 2 cents to this one:

Perhaps there are some deeper issues, none of which matter to whomever finds this a solution.

One question that is begged is that if you can't handle it at whatever speed, slow, 2-up, etc. etc. then it's [perhaps] the wrong bike. And while I hate analogies cuz for every analogy made someone has a [better] counter-analogy. E.g. The pilot could fly the DC-10's pants off but he sucks at landings. Go for it!

The other issue is do you just look like a DS with the damn things? That's a bit tricky. And perhaps can only be answered by some internal/infernal honesty? WOULD YOU RIDE AN LT WITH THOSE WHEELS? Not someone else, but YOU?

All that being said, I am not going to invest my money in the company that makes these. "

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Talking Just the opposite for me....

As a forty four year old LT rider, I'd just love to have a set....if nothing more than a conversation piece! If only my financial situation would allow.

I agree wholeheartedly though concerning one not being able to handle this big bike! The LT is NOT an "old frail man's" bike IMHO.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 4:27 pm

I dunno...I think I could still find a way to drop the beast!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Ok, I remember you . . . now that I look at that avatar! Looked at your profile and c'mon . . . paste a current picture. Sort of remember commenting that you cut quite a figure for the ladies on that HD and asked if you ever had any INTERESTING stories as a LEO.

Best Regards

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz
As a forty four year old LT rider, I'd just love to have a set....if nothing more than a conversation piece! If only my financial situation would allow.

I agree wholeheartedly though concerning one not being able to handle this big bike! The LT is NOT an "old frail man's" bike IMHO.
It would be fun to pull into the local HD hangout (Starbucks?) with the wheels . . . play the infirmed look and hten do the LT wheelie as you leave. heh heh I CAN DREAM, CAN'T I?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 6:16 pm

John,
I have made no bones about it....that photo was taken about 1969. I still look the same, however, so a recent photo is totally unnecessary. That 1968 AMF/HD was the biggest piece of junk I have ever rode..brakes did not work, had suicide shifter and foot clutch, leaked oil by the gallons but boy howdy! was it fun!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:35 am

My take is that if you need something like this to ride an LT, you should be riding something other than an LT.

Mike Gray
Fairbanks, Alaska
2000 K1200LT
2014 F700GS
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 7:58 am

Garage
We're all quick to respond with the "I wouldn't be caught dead riding with those training wheels" but the fact remains that we are all going to get old at some point and one's reflexes and strength do wane. That being said, why should one of us have to give up riding the bike we love because of health issues? There are alternatives, such as trike conversions, but that changes the character of the ride completely. I feel that there is a place in the LT world for these so-called training wheels so that when we inevitably get older, we can safely ride, lean into turns, etc., and still have the safety factor when coming to a stop. Heck, if a 30 year old can drop this bike, think about what could happen with a 60 or 70-year old. That's my 20 cents' worth (inflation, you know.)

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 8:25 am

And this is one reason the over categoriztion of this forum has bothered me. who wants to vist 347 subforums to see what is going on?
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 8:34 am
Bouncer

You don't have to. If you use either the thread or post options under the "New Activity" menu item, you wouldn't have to.

BTW, 6 months from now, when you are desperately looking for that post on doodad #12, categorizing the accessories is going to be much easier to find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 9:23 am

True, but this kills serendipity and I LUV serendipity. As far as finding info on doodad#12 isn't what search is for?
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:25 am

about the getting older part...

We have been riding our Lt since purchase in '99. I have the "lowered" after market seat, etc., but the bike is still very top heavy at slow speeds - unlike any of its major competitors. We all have been patiently waiting for the new model which will have a v6 engine, lower center of gravity,lower seat, better headlights, better back brakes, etc. but it is not on the horizon. This summer, after CCR at Jackson Hole we dropped it hard having encountered some pea gravel near Walla-Walla, Wa and I ended up with a broken ankle (to go with the broken ankle on the other foot while golfing six years ago). Two things happened in that accident. 1. She refuses to ride anymore claiming too many falls. 2. My ankles are now too weak to hold it if if starts to fall. So - the alternative, if I want to ride a big cruiser - HD ? never!. Honda - hummm, have to give up too much, Yamaha, etc. - no. The training wheels - they will not come down fast enough and are useless (as we were on the last drop - on a slope) So - to convince her to get back on I had a choice of the Vovager (don't like the looks) or triked - it will be triked by 12/23. End of story.
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:06 am
Prodigal Son

I always though feature like automated gear lowering was just something else to break--the I saw a very skilled and highly qualified(20,000hrs plus) pilot unintentionally belly land a new Bonanza. never heard the buzzers and bells.
Point--EVERYBODY makes mistakes, sometimes technology like this may save your but.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in