Toy Hauler Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Toy Hauler Question

I'm looking at buying a toy hauler and have a question for everyone how has one.

Do the bikes leave any gas or other smells after they are removed from the hauler? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:38 pm

Maybe

I don't own a tow hauler (no one one has come out with one you can fulltime in) but I have been in many. If you leave any fluid, from an oil leak on the Harley or gas leak on the BMW, on the floor that will smell for a while. One of the guys I know sealed his floor much better than factory (it could have held 6" of water with out a leak) and could clean up a spill really easy so the smells did not last long. Most people have so much gasoline or nitro-methane in the back you just get used to the smell. Of course it doesn't do the brain much good but the pot smoking reverses the adverse effects.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwillis
I'm looking at buying a toy hauler and have a question for everyone how has one.

Do the bikes leave any gas or other smells after they are removed from the hauler? Thanks in advance.
Can't speak for the Harley, but my LT doesn't leave any odor behind. You might get a faint fuel odor if you have removed the canister on the fuel tank vent. I have a 33" 5th wheel with separate garage and always travel with the side vents open.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2007, 9:20 am

The smell depends on the bike and Toy Hauler.

Some bikes have a gas smell, but mostly on dirt bikes. My Honda dirt bikes had a little, but the KTM didn't.

I never noticed any with my BMWs.

Also depends on the Toy Hauler. Some have a separate "garage" for the bikes. This is really nice in that you can close the smell (if any) off. Also nice because you don't end up heating/cooling that air space. Once where you are going, many allow you to use this space as another room with fold down bunks, or better yet, just put a King size air mattress in there and you have another private room.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2007, 8:34 pm

We have a small toy hauler with an open floor plan. We took it to Texas this last winter with our LT on board with no odor problems. I would be more concerned with an older carbureted bike.
Hubert

1999 K1200LT Beemer
1999 VFR 800 Honda
1983 550 Yamaha Vision(in shed)
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Vents

We have a 27 foot hobbi and it does not have the separator wall , but it does have a vent on the front and one near the back cargo area, I have never opened them , but designed for when on the road to vent. I have hauled several different bikes in ours with no smells lingering afterwards. Fumes Would make sleeping a headache inducing experience I would think.

Later Spike
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:45 pm

FunMover

Greetings,

I have a 31 ft Funmover made by Four Winds. My model has an exhaust fan that I can leave running or set so that when it warms up inside garage fan comes on automatic depending on switch for in or out air works very good. Has door in between garage part and living quarters and never smell anything.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

- Einstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in