Trike trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Question Trike trailer

I see all sorts of nice trailers for hauling two-wheelers. I'm looking for one to haul my Hannigan trike LT. I'd prefer an enclosed one, but for a trip I'm planning, it could be open. I have a full cover that I could strap on securely to protect it.

Anyone seen trailers of this size?

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:03 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Baxley Trailer Company in Alabama. Easy on easy off. A bit expensive but a solid trailer.

For the record, a bit biased since I sell some of their products.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:40 am

I agree with Raffy. If I were going to buy other than an enclosed trailer it would be a Baxley. Inovative design and well made.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker

I see all sorts of nice trailers for hauling two-wheelers. I'm looking for one to haul my Hannigan trike LT. I'd prefer an enclosed one, but for a trip I'm planning, it could be open. I have a full cover that I could strap on securely to protect it.

Anyone seen trailers of this size?
Any landscape trailer should work. You have to decide how much you want to spend and ease of loading-unloading
I have 2 one came with a quad I won, good for hauling quads firewood etc. Frame is 2x2 angle.
The other I bought (before I won the quad) form a local place, where they pay close attention to the little details. Like a rule joint the entire length of the tail gate., so you can lift the gate right off if hauling longer lumber etc. Slight beavertail last 6" for easy loading bikes tractors. 2x4 stake pockets welded inside as well as out, 5k hitch even though it is only rated for 3500
Real 18ga rolled fenders (not tin cans) and this was where he got me.
"You know your going to back that light into something, go stand on the tail light protector of any trailer in the yard. If you can break it, I'll give you the trailer. After trying every trailer in the place I handed over the money.
He was right, my plate which is below my left light is mangled ripped and almost unreadable, but the light is perfect.
This is a small town and he builds for farmers where length of service for your dollar is more important than cheap now replace in 2 years.
(Besides I think he made all the money he will ever need when he invented the flat bed roll back, mechanism.)
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Smile Bought me a trailer yesterday

http://www.adventuresportsproducts.c...es-hauling.htm

The above link is the company I bought my trailer from, and it seems to be a really good trailer for the value. Everything about it is quality.

I'm posting some pics as well which you'll see on their site, but if you don't want to go there, these are what you'd see.

The SE package that I purchased, has the wheel chock I need for my trike, the tie downs (four, two front and two back), the Rock protector in front and LED lights all around.

The neat thing about this trailer is that you don't need a ramp. The air-compressor (which gives it an "air-ride") deflates, the bed rests on the ground and you just drive on. Then, flip the switch again and it rises to the proper height for towing.

I had been having a terrible time finding a trailer that was wide enough inside the wheel wells and long enough for my trike. This one with trike loaded is only about 1200#. My 4 Runner should be able to pull it ok.

Thanks for all the responses and most of all to my co-worker Bo who drives a GW trike and gave me the link to Adventure Sports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes-hauling01.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	11023   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes-hauling02.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	11024   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes-hauling04.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	11025  

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

I put it to the acid test.

Pulled like a dream. Covered 2100 miles (RT). Had a couple of glitches, but everything worked great. Hardly knew it was there.

Getting on and off this trailer is super. I've even suggested to the mfg to add a "turntable" design to the front wheel chock so that after driving into it, be able to turn it far enough for the LT to lock. (Why doesn't BMW have a way to lock without turning it? Don't they know that motorcycles need to be hauled occasionally?

It's getting its paint job now. I picked it up before they had time to do that. When it's done, I'll post some pics.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Trailer Pics

Quote:

Pulled like a dream. Covered 2100 miles (RT). Had a couple of glitches, but everything worked great. Hardly knew it was there.

Getting on and off this trailer is super. I've even suggested to the mfg to add a "turntable" design to the front wheel chock so that after driving into it, be able to turn it far enough for the LT to lock. (Why doesn't BMW have a way to lock without turning it? Don't they know that motorcycles need to be hauled occasionally?

It's getting its paint job now. I picked it up before they had time to do that. When it's done, I'll post some pics.
Ok, here are the pics of the finished product. I'm very pleased. Not only did they paint it, they also had the clear 3M product installed to the areas most likely to be hit by rocks, etc. Take a look.

The last picture is with the trailer in my garage. With chocks on both sides of the wheels, I park on it at night. Truly an easy on, easy off vehicle.

The first couple of pictures show it in "load mode", air out of holding tank.

Takes less than a minute to raise it with no load, and about 2 1/2 to three with the trike on it. These trailers can be fitted to carry up to three two wheelers easily. The strap system is really neat also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020515.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	12207   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020517.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	12208   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020519.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	12209   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020520.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	12210   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020521.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	12211  

Name:	P1020522.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	12212   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020523.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	12213   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020524.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	12214   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020525.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	12215  

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Ok, here are the pics of the finished product. I'm very pleased. Not only did they paint it, they also had the clear 3M product installed to the areas most likely to be hit by rocks, etc. Take a look.

The last picture is with the trailer in my garage. With chocks on both sides of the wheels, I park on it at night. Truly an easy on, easy off vehicle.

The first couple of pictures show it in "load mode", air out of holding tank.

Takes less than a minute to raise it with no load, and about 2 1/2 to three with the trike on it. These trailers can be fitted to carry up to three two wheelers easily. The strap system is really neat also.
Good golly, Hal - you done good. Real good. I don't think I've ever seen that particular trailer before, butt it sure has the right features for your needs.

Can sure tell you're happy with it - thanks for sharing.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 9:46 am

Damn Hal, you've got class.........................
Nice job.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in