Uni-go recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Uni-go recommendations

Have been thinking about getting a trailer for a few years. And now the urge to buy is back. I like the unigo and bushtec. Just don't think I want to spend the extra $ for the Bushtec.
I've read and heard about some problems with the uni-go hitch concerning the bearing. Wondering if this is still an issue with the new manufacturer.
Also, if any one has recommendations for a good dealer to use.

Thanks

Doug Roorda
Mid TN
99 K1200LT
03 Ducati M800S-sold
02 F650GS-Dakar
03 DRZ400S
KJ4EER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 8:32 pm

I too got the wild hair last year to purchase a trailer. well I only had the Uni-go in mind.... I liked the one wheel, leans with the bike & I was not going to carry the kitchen sink on any trips.
Took a short 450 mile trip on the LT to Salt Lake City and bought it used (2003) from Mike. He said he never had any problems. I have only pulled it back to Albuquerque, but I really liked how it worked. Lots of great trailers out on the market. Just need to decide how much money you want to spend and the amount of stuff to carry. My $.02 cents
Good Luck

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #3 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Funny you should ask...

I don't have an answer for your bearing question, but I'm also looking at these 2 trailers. 3 weeks ago we rode over to Monroe, OH (home of Unigo) and on Saturday we visited the good folks at Bushtec.

The Bushtec is more expensive (and fully loaded with options can be a LOT more expensive), but its cost is less per cubic foot of storage. I guess it depends on how much stuff you need to haul behind the bike. Unigo: 5 cu. ft. Bushtec: 25 cu. ft. (slightly more or less, depending on model)

Sorry I'm not answering your real question. I'll be watching this thread for others' input. Let me know if you find a magic way to decide between these 2 fine products.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:54 pm

Hey Doug,

I've had my unigo since 2002 and probably have about 25k on it. Changed the bearings once, not very difficult at all. Next time will switch to the bearings Don Norwood found. Great trailer, goes into the room with me and stays in the hotel as long as I stay at the hotel. Also visited Bushtec and had tour during CCR Gatlinburg and was VERY impressed with the quality workmanship, just more trailer than I need and I like the single wheel.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #5 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:46 am

Doug, you're used to traveling light so I'd think that the Unigo is really what you want and/or all that you need. AND, you never know when you might want to consider hooking it up to the Duc. Surely the Unigo would work better with the Duc than a Bushtec would, no?
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
3 weeks ago we rode over to Monroe, OH (home of Unigo) and on Saturday we visited the good folks at Bushtec.
Hi Howard

I've been considering the Uni-go for some time now. In some correspondence with Mark Huffman there last Fall, he responded with the following to an inquire I made. (He had given me permission to post his reply). Was wondering if he has made the improvements that he was talking about below. Also, did he give you any idea on lead time from order to delivery or pickup? He really hasn't updated his web site much in the past year, but I imagine he's been pretty busy.

Thanks
Carl

We are in process of a redesign to eliminate the current
>> problems. The chassis has already been redesigned and is upgraded greatly
>> from the NZ version (the NZ version suspension was known to shear off
>> under heavy use and the front drawbar attachment plates would rip off.)
>> The lids leaked occasionally and the finishes would be destroyed by heat
>> in the shipping boxes. The tail fairings would warp and not fit well on
>> most of the trailers also. I have seen a lot of problems and we are
>> working to make them all go away. We are working with any customer with
>> issues on their new trailer and will make all of them right, even if it
>> means replacement of the trailer. We have also done warranty replacements on
>> numerous NZ trailers that are far out of their warranty period because it
>> is the right thing to do. The dealers are right in being unhappy, we
>> expected to be able to deliver trailers in a period of 2-3 weeks and we
>> have not been able to do so due to issues we have no control over. We
>> also cut the commissions of the dealers because most of them are just
>> websites with no shop to service the customer. If you buy a trailer from
>> a dealer you should be able to expect some form of service or support
>> from them, not just an e-mail that says "contact Uni-Go". We are working
>> to make Uni-Go the best trailer on the road on any continent and will not
>> stop until we are there. The bodies and finishes will be completely
>> upgraded in a few weeks and the Uni-Go will soon be a US trailer not a
>> mix of new and old.
>> Regards, Mark Huffman

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Hi Doug,

I have owned a Uni-Go for several years now and dragged it all over Australia.... I love it. The best bit is when you're riding you don't know it's there, the worst bit is, no matter how hard you try you can't see it in the mirrors and you don't know if it really is still there!!!

Mine is a NZ build of course, and I have suffered the suspension failure on a trip back from Tasmania last year, but I fixed it enough on the side of the road with some "borrowed" fencing wire to continue the further 700klm home where I could fix it properly. I wouldn't swap it for any other trailer I've viewed.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Hi Howard

I've been considering the Uni-go for some time now. In some correspondence with Mark Huffman there last Fall, he responded with the following to an inquire I made. (He had given me permission to post his reply). Was wondering if he has made the improvements that he was talking about below. Also, did he give you any idea on lead time from order to delivery or pickup? He really hasn't updated his web site much in the past year, but I imagine he's been pretty busy.

Thanks
Carl
Hard to say -- we covered a lot of territory (Q & A) in a short amount of time. He did discuss how the unit is being built now, improvements, etc., but I can't quote specifics. He did show us the redesigned lid hinge/hardware. Lead time was 4-6 weeks IIRC.

As I recall, the shell of the trailer itself -- the fiberglass body -- is made somewhere else and shipped to them. They paint it, assemble everything (all hardware, axle assembly, wheel, etc.), and wire it.

Hope this helps.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Hard to say -- we covered a lot of territory (Q & A) in a short amount of time. He did discuss how the unit is being built now, improvements, etc., but I can't quote specifics. He did show us the redesigned lid hinge/hardware. Lead time was 4-6 weeks IIRC.

As I recall, the shell of the trailer itself -- the fiberglass body -- is made somewhere else and shipped to them. They paint it, assemble everything (all hardware, axle assembly, wheel, etc.), and wire it.

Hope this helps.
Hi Howard,

Judy and I are planning on stopping at Schoolhouse during that trip we're making to Ohio mid April.

Did, in your opinion, they have a worthwhile number of fully and partially assembled units to look at and discuss? We're pretty sure we're going the Uni-go route strictly because of my lack of desire to pull much more weight with the LT.

It doesn't hurt that the Uni-go lines fit the LT perfectly.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Hi Howard,

Judy and I are planning on stopping at Schoolhouse during that trip we're making to Ohio mid April.

Did, in your opinion, they have a worthwhile number of fully and partially assembled units to look at and discuss? We're pretty sure we're going the Uni-go route strictly because of my lack of desire to pull much more weight with the LT.

It doesn't hurt that the Uni-go lines fit the LT perfectly.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Yes, absolutely you should stop and check the products out. When we were there, they had trailers in many different colors. (they do color matching, of course) There aren't a whole lot of options but you can also see the touring model, the sport model, and whatever they call the third model. (sorry, CRS is acting up)

They probably had 30 trailers in various stages and colors: unpainted, painted, fully-assembled, etc. Trailer tongue in paint or chrome, etc.

Funny thing is, I SWORE I had my camera with me that day but I don't have any pix to share. They had a very cool custom-painted R1150RT and matching trailer -- all painted flat gray with WW II-era USAF markings, with the typical "No Step", "Static Port", and similar stencilings, all well done. You'll have to see it to appreciate it. Again, a picture would have been nice to share...

Let us know when you're going to be doing that trip. I'd like to ride over there and check them out again.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Yes, absolutely you should stop and check the products out. When we were there, they had trailers in many different colors. (they do color matching, of course) There aren't a whole lot of options but you can also see the touring model, the sport model, and whatever they call the third model. (sorry, CRS is acting up)

They probably had 30 trailers in various stages and colors: unpainted, painted, fully-assembled, etc. Trailer tongue in paint or chrome, etc.

Funny thing is, I SWORE I had my camera with me that day but I don't have any pix to share. They had a very cool custom-painted R1150RT and matching trailer -- all painted flat gray with WW II-era USAF markings, with the typical "No Step", "Static Port", and similar stencilings, all well done. You'll have to see it to appreciate it. Again, a picture would have been nice to share...

Let us know when you're going to be doing that trip. I'd like to ride over there and check them out again.

Thanks a lot Howard. Great info.

We'll be in contact at that time, looks like the weekend of 4/20-4/22. However, a word of warning, Judy won't let me any where near Lebanon without eating at the Golden Lamb

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:23 am

Quote:
They had a very cool custom-painted R1150RT and matching trailer -- all painted flat gray with WW II-era USAF markings, with the typical "No Step", "Static Port", and similar stencilings, all well done.
IIRC that bike and trailer belong to the owner of Schoolhouse. Saw the trailer for sure at CCR last year.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
IIRC that bike and trailer belong to the owner of Schoolhouse. Saw the trailer for sure at CCR last year.
You are CORRECT sir! It's Mark Huffman's.

Nice setup, eh? Too bad I didn't have my camera. Definitely could attract a crowd.

You say he was at CCR '06? I saw someone in the vendor area (near the guy selling the helmet sunblocker things) with a Unigo trailer but I sure didn't see this one.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 7:09 pm

It's not the aircraft gray that we were talking about earlier, but it was at CCR last year. This one is on a pre-05 K1200GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unigo.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	10761  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's not the aircraft gray that we were talking about earlier, but it was at CCR last year. This one is on a pre-05 K1200GT.
That's the one I saw!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 16 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Owner of Uni-go for past five years

I bought a Uni-go from New Zealand and can only rave about it. Some of the great features:
Tire (inflated to 26 psi) that lasts 30K miles--what other trailer can boast that.
Able to unhitch and wheel into hotels, on the luggage cart, and into your room.
Very strong: I had a dual cab pick-up back into my trailer at a gas station. Only minor damage sustained (the hitch took the brunt) included tail light lenses smashed. The horizontal egg shell design and rear tire resisted the damage.

The comment about not able to see the trailer (and to feel any resistance) is true--I rely upon looking for the trailer's shaddow while riding.
The manufacturer (USA) is Schoolhouse and absolutely first rate.
I've ridden the trailer at speeds up to 100 mph (it's rated to 130 mpg in turns).

Captain Tom

2002 K1200 LTE
Email:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in