Landing Gear (Training Wheels) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Landing Gear (Training Wheels)

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4814/

Seriously, if you are going shell out that much for training wheels, just get a smaller bike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watermark.jpg
Views:	3066
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	573  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:33 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsquareWI
Seriously, if you are going shell out that much for training wheels, just get a smaller bike...
It's cheaper than a trike or sidecar rig. Looks like an interesting alternative to triking the bike or adding a sidecar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:44 am

Folding stairs

Now all we need are folding stairs so the vertically challenged can mount up!

Looking at the BMW frame, it just seems "plausible" they could provide a lower seat position without giving us a 2x4 to sit on...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:46 am

Quote:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4814/

Really? Seriously? Let's see. I'm going on a four hundred mile trip and it would be better to have a 750cc motorcycle than a GoldWing or LT with "training wheels"? Uh, duh, NO! No on so many levels including comfort, weather protection, sound system (iPod), well, every reason why you bought an LT in the first place.

I don't need something like this ... yet. But if I ever have to choose between triking, a side car, a smaller motorcycle, or "training wheels" I will definitely be choose the latter. Why? Because it will still turn like a motorcycle which is 98% of why I ride motorcycles as compared to driving a car.
post #5 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Looking at the BMW frame, it just seems "plausible" they could provide a lower seat position without giving us a 2x4 to sit on...
Here's your

Your choice.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Geez folks take it easy. Sorry for the (apparently poor) attempt at a joke. It was just a way of pointing out there are a little pricey. And funny looking. Definitely funny looking.
post #7 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:37 am

Hi,

I saw a program on TV a while back where a guy who had been paralysed in a road accident from the waist down had wheels similar to those shown. As he pulled away and got up to 10 mph the wheels would lift off the ground. As he slowed down they would deploy again to hold the bike up.

Looks like what has been done to the LT in your picture.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #8 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:24 am

I think that's pretty darned clever, and I could think of more than a few times when I've been fully loaded with Momma, the poodle and a near 250 lb. trailer when those bad boys would come in REAL handy. And I ain't no wussy boy.

All you would need to complete the scenario is the sound of a turbine engine spooling down - blazing over the speakers - as you come to a stop.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I think that's pretty darned clever, and I could think of more than a few times when I've been fully loaded with Momma, the poodle and a near 250 lb. trailer when those bad boys would come in REAL handy. And I ain't no wussy boy.

All you would need to complete the scenario is the sound of a turbine engine spooling down - blazing over the speakers - as you come to a stop.
You ain't no wussy boy???? Hmmmm, just the fact Ron. BTW, since we are both (you more so than I) inventors, I always thought that some MP3 device that plugged into the AUX and perhaps had its own amplifier, etc with varying sounds:
e.g. 1998 Fat Boy/HD with Two Bros. pipes WAV file.
GE Diesel locomotive
F18 at take-off
etc. etc.
And, some control to simulate the doppler effect(s) of the noise. Now there's a farkle!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #10 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:30 pm

Steve, was that my "cake"? haha.. thanks!

Sorry if I seemed to "smart off".. I was just thinking BMW could lower the seat level for some folks. At 6' 2" I stand flat-footed over the LT, yet it would be great to have an adequate seat... I know, quit whinin'...

The idea of the "wheels" seems a good one for folks who need the extra reach.. When I think of situations where you still might "high center" or get off kilter coming in and out of driveways and such, it just makes me pucker all the more.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:45 pm

It's not cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Steve, was that my "cake"? haha.. thanks!

Sorry if I seemed to "smart off".. I was just thinking BMW could lower the seat level for some folks. At 6' 2" I stand flat-footed over the LT, yet it would be great to have an adequate seat... I know, quit whinin'...

The idea of the "wheels" seems a good one for folks who need the extra reach.. When I think of situations where you still might "high center" or get off kilter coming in and out of driveways and such, it just makes me pucker all the more.
Hey Channing,

Just pulling your leg a little with the plate of cheeses. "The devil made me do it and all." You need to show up next time, we get Dick up for dinner from Boerne when jackd and I come to Austin in the spring.

Ride safe and keep the pucker factors to a minimum.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #12 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 3:08 pm

I always thought that some MP3 device that plugged into the AUX and perhaps had its own amplifier, etc with varying sounds:
e.g. 1998 Fat Boy/HD with Two Bros. pipes WAV file.
GE Diesel locomotive
F18 at take-off
etc. etc.
And, some control to simulate the doppler effect(s) of the noise. Now there's a farkle!

Potato, potato, potato, potato. If you build it John, they will come!

(how about the sound of my 1972 Kawasaki 500 triple two stroke for my LT - heck I've already got the blue smoke part down!)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Yeah, but you'd have to paint the LT that fugly lime green!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #14 of 49 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
Hi,

I saw a program on TV a while back where a guy who had been paralysed in a road accident from the waist down had wheels similar to those shown. As he pulled away and got up to 10 mph the wheels would lift off the ground. As he slowed down they would deploy again to hold the bike up.

I saw a Wing with something like this installed on pull up to a red light one time a few years ago. As the bike slowed to a stop a pair of small wheels came down from under the bike to hold it up while stopped. As he took off, the wheels folded back up. Looks like that idea is still out there.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #15 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 6:44 am

The ONLY thing that is 'suitable' for the KLT is the sound of a Jet Engine ! ! ! !

Think about it !

The sound of a LARGE Jet Engine spooling up when you key the starter then, settling down to an idleing sound UNTIL you kick it into gear and pull away. Then the sound really cranks up to an afterburner blast when you stomp on it.

As you slow down, the whine subsides to an idleing sound as you come to a stop and, upon shut down, the you hear the PROLONGED sound of a Jet Engine spooling down to a stop.

If someone builds it, they will come and, I'll be 1st. in line. Just let me know where to send the check !
post #16 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 6:59 am

For us "short" guys, the training wheels are a great idea, but as long as I can man-handle the bike I will defer on the wheels!

As stated earleir, I would pick the training wheels over the trike and sidecar. But, you can't carry extra stuff like you could if you had a trike or a sidecar! Let me re-think this, the older you get the need to carry more stuff is vital. Between the drugs, walker, breathing machine, diapers and the such, maybe the trike isn't a bad choice after all!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:15 am

A few years back I was at a swap meet and this wing rode in with a elderly gentle and his wife on it. As he slowed the wheels came down. They dismounted and someone said why don't you just ride a trike? The old guy turned and said trikes aren't motorcycles and I like riding motorcycles. He had had a stroke a few years back and couldn't hold the bike up. At 78 he says if you can't ride a motorcycle why ride. Nice guy.

Bill
post #18 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:25 am

Quote:
...And I ain't no wussy boy.
All wussies say that though...
post #19 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:31 am

Quote:
Geez folks take it easy. Sorry for the (apparently poor) attempt at a joke. It was just a way of pointing out there are a little pricey. And funny looking. Definitely funny looking.
I'm with you man! That "contraption" is ridiculous-looking and pricey, to say the least. But, you'll learn (like I did) that there's a lot of thin-skinned folk that hover in this neck of cyberspace. And they're usually better typists than riders! Besides...since when aren't you allowed to have an opinion?
post #20 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:54 am

Just guessing, but I would imagine that contraption would look a lot less ridiculous if you were physically disabled and it allowed you to keep riding. I know of a story similar to the one posted earlier, elderly gentleman, stroke etc (GW rider). Riding a trike just ain't the same, ya know?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #21 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:56 am
Super Moderator

Lots of folks have leg problems but want to tour, and don't want a trike or sidecar rig. The first time I saw something like this was on a guy's goldwing. He was in his late 70s and loved to ride, but had problems holding the bike up. He was still putting on 12,000 miles a year mainly becuase he had this type system. So you think he should be limited to a Vespa for his touring desires?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #22 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Just guessing, but I would imagine that contraption would look a lot less ridiculous if you were physically disabled...
That's where I have to stop you Dave. I have a handicapped son and that's "right where we live". Whether I was handicapped, physically disabled, or what-have you . . . that contraption would still look ridiculous to me. It may be a viable option...but it would still look ridiculous. At that point, I would be the first one to make fun of the poor thang while using it.

Let's not try to candy-coat every little thing. Beauty is only skin deep . . . but ugly is to the bone!
post #23 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:22 pm

Does it detract from the beautiful lines of the LT? Absolutely....almost criminally.

I say beauty is also in the function, and if that function allows me (or anyone else) to ride on, I don't see anything ridiculous about it. I give it a

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #24 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 7:35 pm
Bouncer

Just reviewing the options:

A good trike job (i.e., from Hannigan) would run about $10000

A good sidecar setup would run about $10000-$15000

The landing gear at $5000 sounds like an economical solution and allow one to have the benefits of low speed stabilization and still retain the best things about riding a motorcycle.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #25 of 49 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 8:50 pm

I have struggled mightily with the BigBrick, and have had two putting-my-foot-down falls. I'm big enough at %10 and @60 lbs, but the strength isn't what it used to be as I get on with the 7th decade of life. I called up the Ghost Wheels people when I read about that, but they only want to deal with Goldwings. I have considered the Voyager kits, and the Hannigan trike. I have looked at the Insta-Trike video. I have ridden side-car rigs in the past, and have considered one for the BigBrick. My wife prefers the machine to lean. But she also doesn't want to have to jump off anymore if there's another parking lot fall. Those who want to call it ridiculous-looking will just have to accept the fact that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So thanks for the link to this much-more-unobtrusive than a Voyager kit!

Deacon of the Desert

Last edited by LoneAmigo; Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Adding signature
post #26 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 4:52 am

Cool

Quote:

Ron,
rather then a turbine engine, you could have a space craft landing.
Many years ago a band called Queen write a song called "Play the Game". There is one version i have that at the start there is a space craft landing and it goes for about 20 seconds or so... do u have an mp3 player???
post #27 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 8:51 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
Ron,
rather then a turbine engine, you could have a space craft landing.
Many years ago a band called Queen write a song called "Play the Game". There is one version i have that at the start there is a space craft landing and it goes for about 20 seconds or so... do u have an mp3 player???
No MP3 player Dez, but I am sad to report that I am old enough to remember that song and Freddy Mercury, and yes - the spacecraft sound!

Another one bites the dust.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #28 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 9:13 am
Bouncer

Here is the perfect sound: http://www.dailywav.com/0999/jetcar.wav

-
post #29 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:25 am

Actually, folks, these 'landing gear' type things have been available for the GoldWings for quite a few years! There are at least 3 different ones that I've seen. Some deploy and retract automatically, others require a switch to deploy. One set, IIRC, takes the insides of the saddlebags as the retraction position, leaving no difference in lean angle.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #30 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:32 am
Bouncer

Here's a picture actually showing the landing gear holding up the bike

-
post #31 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:36 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Excellent!

I think I will put a "spool up" sound on the o'l iPod for a pre-ignition start up routine including turning on the emergency flashers ... just gotta find one that is convincing enough to have my HD buddies scratching their heads.

I could always tell 'em its a new Roots supercharger that I just had installed.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 6th, 2005 at 10:42 am.
post #32 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:40 am
Bouncer

Linky worky just finey

-
post #33 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:43 am

Yeah, stoopid $*%&#&@@ Compuserve bites!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #34 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:44 am

Not woking with SBC either

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #35 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:48 am

Different manufacturer? I don't see the "ridiculous" pods added to the sidebags.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #36 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:52 am

Here's a good one for an impending slow tipover:

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/a...e/divcrash.wav

and a great one for "spool up":

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/a.../jetstart2.wav

spool down:

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/a...e/jet_stop.wav

passing a Harley!

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/a.../airstrike.wav

AND passing an RV on a canyon road:

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/a...itfire_gun.aif

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:10 am.
post #37 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:01 am
Bouncer

It is a simple wav file. If you can't get to it, you need to fix your browser

-
post #38 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:19 am

Thumbs up I LIKE it!

Quote:
Jeff,

That sound reminds me of the Jetsons's. I loved that cartoon show.

Thanks.
post #39 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:26 am

I can can play it now, didn't have to fix my browser, so it wasn't a browser issue.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:32 am.
post #40 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:40 am
Bouncer

Oh, then it was a user issue. Okay.

-

Last edited by eljeffe; Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:53 am.
post #41 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:46 am

Wack!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #42 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 1:30 pm

Wink Well, I could always pretend

Quote:
Here's a picture actually showing the landing gear holding up the bike

I've always wanted to be a jet pilot. With these, I could always pretend it is a Harrier Jump Jet.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #43 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 3:53 pm
Bouncer

I prefer the Jetsons sky car sound.

-
post #44 of 49 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 4:49 pm

OK Elroy...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #45 of 49 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:21 am

HOW addition

perhaps a new addition to the hall of wisdom??
I am not ready yot for them but I would certainly consider them over a sidecar, and definitely over a trike. Yeah at 5 grand it is expensive but if you got the money why not spend it, you sure can't take it with you.
post #46 of 49 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:08 am

Turbine bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokoppmann
The ONLY thing that is 'suitable' for the KLT is the sound of a Jet Engine ! ! ! !
Why just mimic the sound? Make it real:

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp

http://www.bikemenu.com/turbine.html

I recall reading a quote by Jay Leno that he couldn't ride his turbine bike on public streets because the heat output from the exhaust would melt the plastic trim and bumpers on adjacent cars at intersections.
post #47 of 49 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:34 am

I would agree. Should the need for assistance with riding become a need I'm not going to care about price or looks. I fully plan to ride as long as I can whether it be a standard bike, trike, side car, or training wheels. I've always been impressed with those who have come up with clever ways to keep riding in spite of handicaps. Let the less sensitive laugh if they want.
post #48 of 49 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 1:59 pm

Quote:
I prefer the Jetsons sky car sound.
Tried to send you this .wav file but it didn't like the file type.
How does one attach a file?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #49 of 49 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 3:22 pm

I'm 48 years old, I've dropped my LT twice - in 32 years of riding they're the only times I haven't had a bike on wheels or a stand(to be honest, it fell over once, all by itself) - I've still got the strength to pick it up by myself (for now). I love my LT - IMHO for long distance touring, it still can't be beaten. OK, the training wheels look a bit 'odd', but I could imagine in 10-20 years time, if they would allow me to carry on riding, I would definately get them.

Comfy on a bike .....Rubish.
Comfy on a bike .... after 600 miles ....... never!
Sound system on a bike ..... dont be silly
Central locking, Electric windows, cruise control, .......on a bike???
etc..
etc..
etc..
Stableisers(training wheels) ... why not??

I actually think the guys have done a good job - the conversion looks neat, OK, it's different now, very rarely seen, but if you see more & more of them, you'll get used to them. If they keep me riding after I've no longer got the strength to pick mine up, I'd get them anyday over a trike or sidecar conversion.

p.s. 1197 views on this post so far, must be saying something

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in