Build Your Own Trailer For Less Than $300. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Build Your Own Trailer For Less Than $300.

I found the following link sometime ago (when I owned my kawasaki Nomad), and I thought I would share it with you. This fellow built his own trailer and says it works very well. I already have one of the carriers and am considering "going for it" on this project. Not the fanciest one on the lot for sure...but for less than $300.....well, I just may go for it! See for yourself:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

PLEASE POST BACK AND LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Jack, that is VERY creative.

I had one of the those trailer kits many years ago. It lasted about fifteen years, and I gave it to one of my troops when I was done with it. I assembled the bloody thing in my living room, expecting to roll it out the patio door. Forgot to add the width of the wheels and fenders to the 4x8 dimensions.

Oh, to be young and foolish again!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 8 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Jack,

There have been several forum members that have made very similar trailers. DaveDragon, RonKMiller, and the like. One guy even made one out of a little freezer that was quite impressive.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:14 pm

PastorJack,
I am no trailer expert plus I have never hauled one with any motorcycle but I have thousands of miles of trailering motorcycles behind motorhome and pickup trucks (plus farm machinery and construction equipment). Just visually, the center of gravity (CG) (centroid) of that trailer looks quite high compared even to that bike. Also, the traverse leaf springs may be cost effective but don't perform like torsion bar suspension. These 2 issues speak to trail stability and bump dampening which I would think is really important especially for a 2 wheel tug. A trailing arm (rubber) torsion bar suspended wheel(s) would lower that CG I would think. Just some thoughts.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #5 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:03 am

I have seen a bunch of trailers like that and I even had one back in the 80's. It had so many miles that I had to have the wheel bearings replaced twice (note:had to have). Mine was butt ugly but it went everywhere. I took a 4X4 utility trailer and a car top carrier and two ceder wood planks. I bolted the car top to the planks and then bolter the planks to the trailer frame. Nothing was cut down to fit but it made to through most of the USA before I chunked it and got a little pop-up camper to tow.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I found the following link sometime ago (when I owned my kawasaki Nomad), and I thought I would share it with you. This fellow built his own trailer and says it works very well. I already have one of the carriers and am considering "going for it" on this project. Not the fanciest one on the lot for sure...but for less than $300.....well, I just may go for it! See for yourself:

Go here for the skinny on building your own: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing and here for my build: http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...iller/?start=0

I spent about $600.00 total on mine - but I've got a LOT of labor in it. The shocks were overkill but there is no question they make the trailer behave a lot better, and reduce "feedback" through the hitch on tar snakes and rough roads.

I say build your own - good fun!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

What do you think is the question. and What are you going to do with it is the next one. Personally I think the pod is limiting, but I did meet one guy that could take his off and have a flat bed trailer, by pulling 4 spring loaded pins.
My buddy Ranger Rick, built one on their frame but with out the pod thing.
He has spent alot of time on his bike camping so knew what he wanted.
He built a box to hold his gear a cooler rack.
The box lid slides into a slot that hold his camp stove at, just the right level.
His flag pole flips end for end and the same pin that locked it into place, holds a coleman lantern at 7' making a street light for the camp.
I have been on several long trips with him and he has never had any trouble with the trailer.(now his bike!)
Rock
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Trailer

I built on of these trailers and extended the tongue out and make a mount for an ice chest. I decked the trailer and covered the sides with aluminum diamond plate and it looked great. It pulled like a dream. I sold it a couple of months ago to a Harley guy who spotted it in my yard. It was cheap and fun to build and it served it's purpose........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in