Bushtec Tracks like Crap When it is Upside Down!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 3 Post By RonKMiller
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bushtec Tracks like Crap When it is Upside Down!!!

Discovered this un-joyful thing this morning as we left for Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge to watch the eclipse. Just 1 mile from the house I was turning onto a 4 lane highway were the northbound lanes were about 3 feet higher than the south bound lanes. I cut the turn a little too tight when I got the green light and the left tire dropped off the pavement but then found the pavement rather violently. Not exactly sure what it did as there is damage to both sides and the top. It was a wild ride as I straightened up from the turn and heard the awful noise. Looked in the mirror and saw the trailer sliding side ways to the right, corrected for the pull from the hitch and she doubled back to the left. After a few wild oscillations I got her slowed down and off the highway without dropping the LT. I nice young man in a pickup stopped and help us put it back on the wheels. A quick inspection showed the wheels to be OK and the contents were jostled but undamaged ($100 worth of Chateau Elan wire for the eclipse party). Repacked the trailer and continued on to Ironhorse with no further issues.

I't will buff out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	632.6 KB
ID:	130834   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	130842  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Re: Bushtec Tracks like Crap When it is Upside Down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Discovered this un-joyful thing this morning as we left for Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge to watch the eclipse. Just 1 mile from the house I was turning onto a 4 lane highway were the northbound lanes were about 3 feet higher than the south bound lanes. I cut the turn a little too tight when I got the green light and the left tire dropped off the pavement but then found the pavement rather violently. Not exactly sure what it did as there is damage to both sides and the top. It was a wild ride as I straightened up from the turn and heard the awful noise. Looked in the mirror and saw the trailer sliding side ways to the right, corrected for the pull from the hitch and she doubled back to the left. After a few wild oscillations I got her slowed down and off the highway without dropping the LT. I nice young man in a pickup stopped and help us put it back on the wheels. A quick inspection showed the wheels to be OK and the contents were jostled but undamaged ($100 worth of Chateau Elan wire for the eclipse party). Repacked the trailer and continued on to Ironhorse with no further issues.

I't will buff out...
Wow John, glad you didn't drop it during all that and there was no injury. How was the traffic the rest of the way? Hoping to make it up that way tomorrow morning very early. No place to stay so it may be a very long day.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wow...that really says a lot about the quality and integrity of Bushtec trailers when you see how well it held up. So glad it all worked out and everyone is safe.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ouch! Glad you're both ok, with only your trailer getting hurt. Take care and be safe, John!
Patric likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #5 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Wow John, glad you didn't drop it during all that and there was no injury. How was the traffic the rest of the way? Hoping to make it up that way tomorrow morning very early. No place to stay so it may be a very long day.
There was no traffic today but we were at IH by 2 pm. They were parking all over the Cherohala Skyway and the gap going over to Robbinsville. So be careful. It will be clobbered tomorrow and even worse after the eclipse as everyone tries to leave at the same time. I am staying put here at IH until Tuesday before we even go riding.
pkpr1998 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Quote:
There was no traffic today but we were at IH by 2 pm. They were parking all over the Cherohala Skyway and the gap going over to Robbinsville. So be careful. It will be clobbered tomorrow and even worse after the eclipse as everyone tries to leave at the same time. I am staying put here at IH until Tuesday before we even go riding.
Thanks for the heads up. I may try and make it as far as Clayton or Franklin and hunker down till the eclipse and then bug out like everyone else as long as I can get a tank of gas while there. The animations put Sylva at about the best but I don't know if I will make it that far. I am about a year and a half late in planning. Glad you and Jean are OK.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 9:24 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I was snow skiing on Jan. 16th 1972 when we had a shorter eclipse. It gets dark & then it gets light again. I don't remember if the lights came on at the ski lodge or not.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2017, 11:44 pm

In 1972 you were most likely too busy in the lodge with a ski bunny to care.
Patric, pkpr1998 and Mark65 like this.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 1:06 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is a Google Earth street view of the hole the tire dropped into. This is an old shot and the hole is much deeper now. Lines show the path as I estimate it was for the bike and the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	path of flip.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	131058  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Quote:
This is a Google Earth street view of the hole the tire dropped into. This is an old shot and the hole is much deeper now. Lines show the path as I estimate it was for the bike and the trailer.
Cut that corner just a little too tight. Again, glad it was not any worse than that. Enjoyed seeing you and Jean at the lodge and watching the eclipse with you and looking forward to October.

Hopefully you got some riding in on Tuesday and your traffic home was better than I had going home Monday afternoon. Clayton was a hair ball and after sitting in traffic for an hour, I reached a sign that said it was still 8 miles away. Ditched that idea and went back to 64 and over through Hiawassee and down 129. Much better that way but still didn't get home till 9:30.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 15 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Sorry for your troubles but kudos to Bushtec for a sturdy trailer. That pin hitch they use with the swivel mount is such a great safety item. Had you been using a regular ball type hitch you could easily have found yourselves thrown from the bike. We've pulled a Bushtec for years on several different motorcycles and always been pleased.
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 8:03 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I finally got the quote from Bushtec for the repairs. He had thought he had sent it earlier as there were two of us with flipped trailers. Anyway it was a bit steeper than I was expecting and that led me to look at my insurance policy from Progressive. There was a $3,000 "accessory" coverage that was included with my collision and comprehensive coverage. I called them and low and behold they consider a "trailer designed to be pulled by a motorcycle" an accessory, so I was covered! Now I just have to wait until Wednesday for the adjuster to come look at it. Wish I had looked sooner before all the Hurricane stuff happened.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Sep 29th, 2017 at 4:51 pm.
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 29th, 2017, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

UPDATE

The adjuster came in at 2,917 and BTM estimate was 2,987 so off to Bushtec we went and dropped the trailer off yesterday. I am adding an upgrade to the lid with the third light and new latch system along with two new tires. Can't wait to see her again lookin' all good and stuff.
saddleman likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 15 Old Sep 29th, 2017, 5:33 pm
Enjoy The Ride

When is the estimated time it will be repaired ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2017, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I got a call today from Todd and it was about the fender repair. They said they could do it but for 200 more they would paint the whole trailer body. I said go for it as that is why I bought the Bra to cover all those nasty rock chips. They actually remove the body from the frame to paint it. He said he would have a good idea by Friday when they would be finished. I also had them put two new tires on and he said the bearings were shot so new on that too. I hope they have it ready early next week so I can use it for the Ironhorse trip.

I asked him to look at the suspension as I used to see the tops of both tires peeking out when I increased the the pressure on the shocks but the one that hit the hole was flush while the the other side was peeking out. May have taken a little bend in something when it hit that hole.
Patric and saddleman like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in