Trailer Option - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jul 8th, 2017, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Garage
Trailer Option

If anyone is considering a bike trailer but wary of riding up a ramp, here is one option:

This one is a RAMPFREE brand. Not sure if they are still in business but I found one slightly used on Craig's List for the bargain price of $1250.

There is no ramp at all - you just winch the trailer bed down to the ground and ride the bike on the trailer. You then winch it back up. It is very balanced and can be easily moved by one person even with a bike loaded.

Also, the model I bought came with a CONDOR front wheel chock so I leave my bike on the trailer when in the garage as it is very easy to ride on and off. The benefit of this is that I save some floor space and the bike is off the side/center stand where I can do limited work on it (clean, change oil, etc.). I put some car wheel dollys under the wheels which allows me to move the loaded trailer around the garage with little effort. Even with the dollys, the trailer bed lowers to the floor and will not move when riding on/off the trailer.

The trailer is standard 4'x8' bed size but the usable inside measurement is actually about 45" X 90" (Just enough width for the my RT with Ilium crash bar and highway pegs with a few inches to spare).

Downside is that you have to unhook from the travel vehicle to load/unload but this should not be an issue unless the trailer is used on a frequent basis.

There are a few companies that make similar styles but this is one of the smaller ones - Baxley is one of the more popular ones but it is much longer, heavier and expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	128649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170703_142936.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	128657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170703_143015.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	128665  

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)

Last edited by WillH; Jul 8th, 2017 at 8:54 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in