NEW'B"MW HITCH question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

NEW'B"MW HITCH question

well after generous prodding from brother and friends, i purchased a 1200lt.
found a sweet deal. 03 with only 7,700 miles, gps, and all goodies, for $13,000
i sold my venture to do this, and man WHAT A BIKE.
my wife and i just got back to south la. from a 1300 mile trip to the texas state scrc annual reunion.
we rode all over texas hill country on some great twisties and smooth roads.the bike was smooth as silk. best move i ever made. we will be pulling our trailer with it once i get a hitch for the bike.
thus my long winded question.
need advice on any locations to visit on the web such as "hitchdoctor" or other places that members would suggest.

thanks very much.
scrc 361
ride safe, ride often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 8:51 pm

One hitch that's pretty popular with the LT crowd is the Dauntless.

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch...bmwhitches.htm

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:29 pm

ditto what LTSaddledance said.

Hey bro we have to get together as your a neighbor, Me and LT hook up often and roll some miles or do some wrencing, He lives closer to you than I do but I am not far either.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Hey, me too! Welcome, I also went from a Venture to my 05 LT, not counting the 2 months on a Goldwing in between. If your in the B.R. area give us a holler, I'm in Prairieville. We need to all get together.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltarider
my wife and i just got back to south la. from a 1300 mile trip to the texas state scrc annual reunion.
we rode all over texas hill country on some great twisties and smooth roads.the bike was smooth as silk. best move i ever made. we will be pulling our trailer with it once i get a hitch for the bike.
need advice on any locations to visit on the web such as "hitchdoctor" or other places that members would suggest.

thanks very much.
scrc 361
ride safe, ride often.
uhhh i have seen the daunltless hitch broken off up here ,

I would stick with the beigger larger hitch if i were you like the hitchdoctor

not that I am thinking about selling my hitch mind you <g>

Seriously though i have seen the other broken off, luckily there was no accident involved just a inconvience trying to get it welded up here on a weekend which could not be done till during the week

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Thumbs up Hitchdoc hitch comment

I have had both the Hitchdoc and now using a Bushtec hitch. Both have been excellent hitches. I like the rear mouting of the Bushtec better, and I had to romove both for rear wheel changes. I think the Bushtec was a little easier to take on and off. If I remember correctly, they were close to the same price. Both companies are excellent people to deal with and would buy either one and can recommed both. Good luck....Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltarider

thanks very much.
scrc 361
ride safe, ride often.

Bob
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:20 pm

A couple of good hitches. BIG thing is the isolator relay, that creates separate circuits for the trailer lights. A MUST to protect the sensitive electrics of the LT.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Smile Check this one.

click
Might be a consideration.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Hitches

I just posted the trip my wife and I just completed towing a tent trailer all over Utah for a total of over 4000 miles. The hitch we have is the Dauntless and it was amazingly strong for the weight we pulled.

Cheers, Bill

Ocean Blue
05 K1200 LT
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:11 am

One thing to consider is using only LED lights on your trailer and you will not have to use isolator relays or powered converters. You will also be more visable. IMHO

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

many thanks from DELTARIDER

all good advice, and very much appreciated.
also, info i did not know was about using all led's and this will delete the need for converters and relays.

i really enjoyed my venture, But, man what a difference.
the ride, response, handling, comfort, etc.
there really is no other bike like it. i will ride a BMW FOR LIFE.
I have had the bike for only two weeks and have put 2,100 miles with my wife and i taking a trip to texas hill country, and enjoyed the trip 100%.
i will be fully retired in about 2.5 years and will be seeing our beautifull country on two wheels wife my wife of 30 years. god willing.!!!!!!!!!!!

again; thanks,
ride safe my friends.
scrc361
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
One thing to consider is using only LED lights on your trailer and you will not have to use isolator relays or powered converters. You will also be more visable. IMHO
Sorry, but I disagree.

Pulling a trailer without a relay on an LT will almost guarantee you problems with the ABS fault sensor - and could potentially cause other serious electrical issues, especially on 05 and 06 models.

Most LED's are highly directional and do not have much visibility from an angle. If you've "got all the angles covered" with LED's they look nice, draw a fraction of the current incandescents do, and will never burn out. Unless you are willing to add side markers fore and aft your trailer lighting will be very hard to see unless you are looking at it straight on.

With the LT's abundant electrical power reserves you don't need to worry too much about powering up trailer lights, (I've got 2 large LED combination tail, stop, turn lamps on mine, 4 LED side markers, 2 white incandescent license plate lights, and 3 red incandescent rear running lights).... oh yeah, and a 12 volt socket inside the trailer for my mini fridge. I get tired of always hunting down ice and dumping water.

...as well as heated vests, aux forward lighting and a few other goodies - all at the same time.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 9th, 2006 at 9:53 pm.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:04 am

I don't know if you have visited this site but it is worth looking at. Lots of information about trailer towing.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...towing%2Fstart

Rusty Snyder
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
.... oh yeah, and a 12 volt socket inside the trailer for my mini fridge. I get tired of always hunting down ice and dumping water.
Ron,

I have been thinking about doing that for some time now. Do you have a thermocouple type cooler or the real deal with a compressor? I have a compressor type and was concerned it might be a little much for the Oydessy. How long will it hang in there without the engine running, long enough to stop for lunch for example?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in