Kendon Trailer Users - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Kendon Trailer Users

Im looking at the Kendon Single Rail trailer. With my limited garage space I like the fold up design. Looking at the users manual it states that you should have two people load the bike. Since I will be by myself when loading and unloading at home, I was wondering if any of you ride up the ramp. Looks like it should not be a problem getting your feet down while riding up and down.
Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
Im looking at the Kendon Single Rail trailer. With my limited garage space I like the fold up design. Looking at the users manual it states that you should have two people load the bike. Since I will be by myself when loading and unloading at home, I was wondering if any of you ride up the ramp. Looks like it should not be a problem getting your feet down while riding up and down.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I have a two-rail Kendon -- same idea, just wider. I would not even *think* about trying to ride up on just the stock ramp. The trailer deck is at least a foot off the ground, and unless you have a 40" inseam, there's no way you could reach the ground with one foot as you roll up the ramp, even if you were sliding *way far* off the side of the saddle.

I do, however, have the ability to load the bikes by myself, because I have a couple 8' ramps for loading things like lawn tractors into a pickup. I drilled holes in the deck plate at the rear edge of the Kendon for removable bolts w/wing nuts to secure the ramp ends. One ramp is aligned with the bike rail (for the bike's wheels), and one ramp is set parallel, a foot or two to the side, for walking with a supporting foot as I ride the bike up the ramp.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Angry Kendon

I just bought a Kendon and tried loading my V Strom this weekend as a prelude to eventually loading up the K1200LT.
I used the driveway slope to minimize the angle and "walked" the bike on under its own power while standing on the ground. It was not a pleasant experience and I instantly missed my Chariot's full width ramp. I can't imagine how I'm going to handle the K1200 and I don't know what an extra person could do to help. Problem Number three is the very slippery diamond plate - some "Safety Walk" tape will be absolutely essential on that surface. Problem Number Three is the rotating chock gizmo. It was a bear to get the 435# V Strom out of it and I'd guess it will be nearly impossible with the K1200 without another set of hands to push/lift the bike.
A wider ramp would be a big help so the bike can be ridden onto the trailer, but at this point, I can't figure how to make that work since the back end of the trailer tapers down to about 10 inches wide.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Hey guys thankls for the response. Looks like I need to consider another direction. Its just me so I really need something that I can load by myself.
Thanks,
Jim
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Hey guys thankls for the response. Looks like I need to consider another direction. Its just me so I really need something that I can load by myself.
Thanks,
Jim
Maybe I wasn't clear -- I can and do load my Kendon by myself. I substituted my own ramps so that I have a place to put my foot down while driving up, but that's the only difference from a stock trailer.

Last thoughts: Loading single-handed is not a real problem (you're sweating bullets balancing 850 lb. a foot or two above the ground, but that feeling is not Kendon-caused -- it will always be there).

Unloading, however, can be an issue for one reason: It is a bear to get something the LT's size out of the wheel chock. Nonetheless, between the reverse gear and a strong pull rearward on the handlebars, it will come out. That said, I have yet to need to try to unload alone (other than to load/unload as a test at home to confirm I can do it). While it seems no one is ever around when I need to load a bike, I've never arrived at a destination where there isn't someone willing to give me a hand to get out of the chock.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 4:01 pm

Jim,
If you're looking for something really easy to load single handed, look at the Chariot Cycle Sled 9'.
http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index...id=4&Itemid=32
The full width ramp self stores underneath and just slides out when you need it. Storage of the trailer, however, isn't as easy as with the Kendon. I just sold mine because of the storage issue.

Mark,
With the back end of the single rail Kendon tapering to a narrow 10 inches or so, it won't be easy devising a foot rail solution on at least one side. I'll probably think of something because I need the fold up capability or more garage.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmckinley
With the back end of the single rail Kendon tapering to a narrow 10 inches or so, it won't be easy devising a foot rail solution on at least one side. I'll probably think of something because I need the fold up capability or more garage.
John, thanks very much for the correction! It never dawned on me that the singles would have a different tail, but looking just now at the Kendon site, it's obvious why.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 6:17 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Thanks,
Jim
I have a 1 year old Kendon single rail for sale $1250. I have used it to tow LT's GS's RS's and my Duc. I ussualy load them by myself but if I can get help with the LT I do just to be safer.

Let me know if you're interested

[email protected]

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 6:44 pm

Jim

Take a look at this trailer. If you've got the room to store it, it sure looks like it would be a piece of cake to load the LT.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/motorcycle_trailer.htm

Jack

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are".

Jack

2000 LTC Cannon Red
1997 Valkyrie Tourer
1987 Helix (hers)
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 8:33 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage
Check out this trtailer from Big Tex. They build them tough as iron and this one has a full width ramp. http://www.bigtextrailers.com/spec/35mc.html

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:24 pm

Kendon Loading

I have an older Kendon single rail (No chock) and I use it to trailer my R100GS with great success. The R100GS is light enough that I can just push it up and hold it with one hand while I attach the tie downs. I have never had the nerve to try to load my K1200LT on it because even if I could push it up the ramp and on the trailer (actually I probably could do that but it would be tough) I wouldn't be able to hold it upright while I attached the tie downs.

If anyone has figured out how to do it I would certainly like to know as it would be great to be able to trailer the LT.

The Kendon is really great to tow by the way.

Jerry Miller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in