Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BALDTIRES
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 1:46 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 85
Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

1) Trailers are for boats
2) If you see this motorcycle on a trailer, it's being stolen

With that out of the way, can anyone offer first-hand advice on the Stinger trailer for a K1200LT? (StingerTrailer.com - The Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer)
This trailer is small and light, folds and stores easily. It is said to be made of heavy-duty components. The 8" wheels cause me concern. It's no longer made in the USA but in Ontario, Canada. It is not much cheaper than a Kendon now, but price isn't the reason I'm considering it.
I know of the U-Haul option, but it's inconvenient for my situation.
It seems Kendon gets good reviews*, but I only need one rail, this is smaller and will be easier to store.

Thanks for any responses.

* although generally positive, I've read quite a few Kendon reviews complaining about low clearance damaging the spare tire underneath, poor weather resistance, and little advantage to the SRL technology.
agschmidt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 2:35 pm
Senior Member
 
Why aint we riding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 340
Garage
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agschmidt View Post
1) Trailers are for boats
2) If you see this motorcycle on a trailer, it's being stolen

With that out of the way, can anyone offer first-hand advice on the Stinger trailer for a K1200LT? (StingerTrailer.com - The Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer)
This trailer is small and light, folds and stores easily. It is said to be made of heavy-duty components. The 8" wheels cause me concern. It's no longer made in the USA but in Ontario, Canada. It is not much cheaper than a Kendon now, but price isn't the reason I'm considering it.
I know of the U-Haul option, but it's inconvenient for my situation.
It seems Kendon gets good reviews*, but I only need one rail, this is smaller and will be easier to store.

Thanks for any responses.

* although generally positive, I've read quite a few Kendon reviews complaining about low clearance damaging the spare tire underneath, poor weather resistance, and little advantage to the SRL technology.

You have hit on a big issue in the 8" tires. They just arent good for interstate travel (yes, I know people do it successfully, but not for long). I dont know the Stinger brand so cant give first hand advice there. Around here there are numerous trailer builders that will custom build a substantial, well designed, open single rail trailer for $350-550. Steve
Why aint we riding is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 85
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm not looking for a simpler (and cheaper) open single rail trailer is that I have limited storage space. The fold-up or break-down models (Stinger, PortaChopper, Trailer-in-a-Bag (no longer available)) meet this need. I'd be very concerned about creating my own (or a local provider doing so) as it would be trial-and-error, with my KLT as the guinea pig.
agschmidt is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 7:14 pm
Senior Member
 
BALDTIRES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 293
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agschmidt View Post
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm not looking for a simpler (and cheaper) open single rail trailer is that I have limited storage space. The fold-up or break-down models (Stinger, PortaChopper, Trailer-in-a-Bag (no longer available)) meet this need. I'd be very concerned about creating my own (or a local provider doing so) as it would be trial-and-error, with my KLT as the guinea pig.
I have storage space so I got an Aluma MC10 that dose not fold but they do make a folding version that you can stand up on it's end like a Kendon. The thing I really like is it's all aluminum.
Motorcycle/Bike Trailers - Aluminum | Aluma Trailers

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
BALDTIRES is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 30th, 2015, 11:39 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 85
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

I don't have storage space.
agschmidt is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old May 4th, 2015, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 85
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Oh boy, now it begins. I found a used Stinger trailer locally and picked it up this past weekend. After "fixing" it (repairing some damage done by previous owner) I tested it out. I am not comfortable with it as is. Either I'm worrying to much, or I didn't secure the KLT as effectively as possible. It's also possible that this just won't work with a KLT, but I've read some posts here indicating that a KLT was successfully transported on a Stinger trailer.

The problem is there is a lot of flex at the front of the trailer. Because I can't use the handlebars as tie-down points, I have to use the front forks just above the fender. The geometry with such a low tie-down point requires more tension on the straps to keep the bike upright. And, with the top-heavy center of gravity, if I just push the bike sideways with "not a lot" of force, the entire trailer front twists quite a bit. I'm guessing that was why the rigid mounting pin was used rather than a standard ball hitch. Unless the pin snaps, I guess the trailer can't tip over. But it sure looks precarious to me. I should point out that this model year did not use a Condor wheel chock, so the front tire is not secured vertically - it's just sitting in a channel with a stop to prevent forward motion. I've never owned a Condor chock so don't know if this would help with stability.

Can anyone with first-hand experience loading a KLT on a Stinger trailer help with tips on how to properly secure the bike?

Thanks.
agschmidt is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old May 4th, 2015, 9:22 pm
Senior Member
 
BALDTIRES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 293
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agschmidt View Post
Oh boy, now it begins. I found a used Stinger trailer locally and picked it up this past weekend. After "fixing" it (repairing some damage done by previous owner) I tested it out. I am not comfortable with it as is. Either I'm worrying to much, or I didn't secure the KLT as effectively as possible. It's also possible that this just won't work with a KLT, but I've read some posts here indicating that a KLT was successfully transported on a Stinger trailer.

The problem is there is a lot of flex at the front of the trailer. Because I can't use the handlebars as tie-down points, I have to use the front forks just above the fender. The geometry with such a low tie-down point requires more tension on the straps to keep the bike upright. And, with the top-heavy center of gravity, if I just push the bike sideways with "not a lot" of force, the entire trailer front twists quite a bit. I'm guessing that was why the rigid mounting pin was used rather than a standard ball hitch. Unless the pin snaps, I guess the trailer can't tip over. But it sure looks precarious to me. I should point out that this model year did not use a Condor wheel chock, so the front tire is not secured vertically - it's just sitting in a channel with a stop to prevent forward motion. I've never owned a Condor chock so don't know if this would help with stability.

Can anyone with first-hand experience loading a KLT on a Stinger trailer help with tips on how to properly secure the bike?

Thanks.
First thing I did after getting my trailer was to put a proper wheel chock on it. Makes a huge difference especially when loading solo and holds the front end securely . Do not scrimp-I recommend Condor or Baxley.
hschisler likes this.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
BALDTIRES is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old May 6th, 2015, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 85
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

I was planning to upgrade to the Condor chock included in the newer models. However, I learned that it requires welding and accurate positioning. I'm not going to make a welding jig and I don't want to eyeball it, so I guess I'll not have a chock. The big benefit I see with a good chock is that you can get off the bike to strap it down properly without it falling over (one-person trailering). I'll need a spotter to tie down without a proper chock.
agschmidt is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 11:28 pm
Junior Member
 
cwglindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 11
Thumbs up Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers? Trailer in a Bag

Just bought a Trailer in a bag, barely every used. I couldn't pass it up for $230 when these things used to go for $1200. It is the basic model without the Condor chock.

I am going to test it out this weekend and see how it goes for my 2000 K1200LTC. I have some bumps on the pavement and a half mile of dirt road to go down. We will see. All the reviews of people who have actually owned them seem pretty good. I'll try to post pictures later.
cwglindn is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2016, 12:32 pm
Senior Member
 
davebullock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: waukesha, WI, USA
Posts: 407
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

I have a Stinger Trailer, and it has worked just fine for the LT. Used it to CO and back to WI, and plan another trip this fall to CO. It does take getting used to securing it, and at first it does seem wobbly on the trailer. I use front two tie downs, and rear two tie downs, and well as a single rachet strap over the seat (my comfort is always more safety.) It pulls well at 65-70, and on my small Honda car, hardly notice it is there. The newer ones have a chock which I think makes it much easier to load. I put the front tie downs on first, ride the bike up, and a helper puts them on the trailer-haven't dropped it yet. Good product, stands in the corner of the garage for the rest of its life

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
davebullock is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old May 4th, 2018, 10:44 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Question Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Dear Dave and all, as per your experience, do you think I could tow a R1200 GSA adventure from NYC to Florida round trip without concern?

I do not understand about wheel sizes and its complications, but some posts mention a 8 inches wheel is a concern for longer trips?

I appreciate your comments.
Regards,
luiz
brazeagle is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2018, 4:43 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

yes, bought the trike version. it is under-engineered. in fact, center lines are not center lines but lines from the edges of the ramps. if i had a chance, I would not buy but it is too late for that. send me an email at johndomenech at yahoo and i will send pics. it is a dangerous trailer for a heavy bike like mine which is a goldwing. they claim it will handle it but....weight distribution causes the cheap metal to warp which causes the trailer to sag at THE stress point. it folds alright but I prefer a solid trailer vs one that looks good in a garage all folded up. Had to spend an extra $200 (USD) at a fabrication shop to beef up the stress point.
johndomenech is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2019, 11:12 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Re: Anyone use/know about Stinger trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndomenech View Post
yes, bought the trike version. it is under-engineered. in fact, center lines are not center lines but lines from the edges of the ramps. if i had a chance, I would not buy but it is too late for that. send me an email at johndomenech at yahoo and i will send pics. it is a dangerous trailer for a heavy bike like mine which is a goldwing. they claim it will handle it but....weight distribution causes the cheap metal to warp which causes the trailer to sag at THE stress point. it folds alright but I prefer a solid trailer vs one that looks good in a garage all folded up. Had to spend an extra $200 (USD) at a fabrication shop to beef up the stress point.




hello, i have a can am spyder RT and am having the same issue with a sagging right front. can you send pics of the reinforcement you did on the ramps? g a r y l e b l a n c 1 @ c o x . n e t
thanks
gleblanc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trailers bobst2 Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 17 Mar 13th, 2011 9:06 am
Kendon Trailers deanwoolsey Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 1 May 15th, 2009 1:57 am
Piggy Backer XL or Road Dog Widetrack Trailers Hanshi Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 4 Feb 28th, 2009 8:59 pm
Speaking of Trailers JPSpen K1200LT 8 Apr 26th, 2008 5:57 pm
Chocks, Trailers, and My LT (long) hschisler K1200LT 21 Dec 24th, 2005 7:20 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome