small trailer project - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By UNclebudintx
  • 2 Post By N00bie RT Gawd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2014, 11:09 am Thread Starter

small trailer project

Because I am hard headed, stubborn, (so I have been told), I have pushed my luck with the gas gauge and the number of miles to the next gas station, while pulling my trailer. Actually I have only run out once, 6 miles from my planned stop, luckly it was still daylight, and plenty of traffic and a guy stopped and helped me out...I was on an ironbutt rid e, I always plan my ride and ride my plan... but this day I was bucking alot of wind and hills and speed, so I came up with this project.http://
Ih

It is a rotopax 1 gallon fuel can and bracket, alot of GS guys buy these for going outback, cost $100.00 on ebay, it is pricey, but it is good quality. I had to modify the bracket as it comes A perfect 90 degree and my mounting spot is not.. I also spent $4 on two 1 1/2" muffler clamps to secure it to the tongue. I also had to drill my own holes for the muffler bracket ubolts, because none of tge predrilled matched.. http://
Turned out pretty good I think.
http://
They offer a two gallon and some otger sizes but one gallon should keep me out of trouble
http://
AttackPug likes this.

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Garage
Re: small trailer project

I bought a 3-gallon version from Amazon for $82. Used my Rewards Points and I actually paid nothing. I got in touch with Maple Farkles and he created a LRM system to haul it. It was more expensive than the auxiliary tanks they make, but those are ugly and I don't feel like all of the work is worth it.

3 gallons is half a tank and with the bike loaded riding anywhere from 80-85 on my '16 RT, I can easily reach 352 miles combined, even more if the speed is reduced just a fraction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180406_144114.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	147365  
AttackPug and UNclebudintx like this.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Is that plumbed into the bike or do you stop and pour

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversrio
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267
Beer is PROOF God loves us and wants us to be happy
Days an months are travelers of eternity, So to the years that pass by.
the journey is the destination

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 12:01 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackPug View Post
Is that plumbed into the bike or do you stop and pour
Stop and pour. However, I'm moving away from using it on Iron Butt rides since it doesn't really help unless I need to stretch the distance between stops because of being in a really rural area.

Went to a car tire and it seems mileage is all over the place, but I've also seen the bike's range shortened because it (or the fuel), doesn't like cold/cooler temperatures.

So figure I get 235 miles on the bike's tank. I stop, take 20 minutes to refuel, take care of paperwork, eat something quick, bathroom, etc. I ride out again and repeat...so 470 miles, 40 minutes down time.

Now let's use the RotoPax. I ride 235 miles and stop to dump gas from it. That takes 10 minutes (about half is the actual pouring and the rest is removing the straps, etc. Despite how much range I can get out of those 3 gallons, I have to stop at 350, so only about 115 miles max (and frequently less). Now I am making a second stop to refill both the tank and the RotoPax, have about 30 minutes of downtime, and have gone only 350 miles (versus the 470 mentioned earlier).

An auxiliary tank plumbed into the bike makes more sense (technically can ride 350 miles, refuel, ride another 350 miles), but I really hate how they look and I have no real desire to do all of that work running the lines.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

My rotopax is strictly to save my butt when push too far on a tank.. i usually have every gas stop planned down to the address of the station, but sometimes things happen and you think you can make the next town. . I have the mounting figured out on my LT but have not come up with a loction i like on my GSA.. of course the GSA has a longer range than i have butt.. i have only sweat out the fuel light on the GSA once and that was not on an iron butt ride, just random unplanned trip..

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNclebudintx View Post
My rotopax is strictly to save my butt when push too far on a tank.. i usually have every gas stop planned down to the address of the station, but sometimes things happen and you think you can make the next town. . I have the mounting figured out on my LT but have not come up with a loction i like on my GSA.. of course the GSA has a longer range than i have butt.. i have only sweat out the fuel light on the GSA once and that was not on an iron butt ride, just random unplanned trip..

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I hear ya- I bought mine because I foolishly thought that there would be adequate fuel stations on I-20 in GA, but hahahahahaha, the joke was on me as I nearly ran out.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in