anyone using a TOW PAC ON THEIR LT.

like - dislikes
easy to install

thinking of adding it,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 25th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Re: tow pac on the LT

A friend of mine that rarely participates on this board has a tow-pac on his '06. He likes this system.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2014, 1:00 am

Re: tow pac on the LT

Put a tow pac on my 2002 LT about 2 months ago.
Install took me about 6 hours. If I had to do it again I think I could do it in 4hours.
Secret to install is to just mount all the hardware to the LT hand tight. This will allow you to get everything aligned.
Once the mount is secured to the LT the wheels slide into the trailer hitch and two lean too brackets fairly easy. After attaching wheels three bolts hold it in place.
Wheel alignment is next. Tow pac give instructions, but I found the best way to align the wheels is to use a string with a nut attached. Tape sting to top of tire and let hang. Move the tire until the string is flush with the top and bottom of the tire. Once flush tighten bolts that hold the wheels to the frame. Tow pac provides shims if needed to align the wheels.

Going for the first ride.
This scared the hell out of me. The bike will lean slightly in the opposite direction of a turn. The faster and sharper the turn the more the bike will lean. You also have to apply a good deal of force in the direction of the turn with the steering. You will want to put your feet down as you feel the bike leaning. You have to completely unlearn counter steering and steer the bike the same way you would steer a car without power steering.

After overcoming the fear factor and riding for the first couple of weeks I am now somewhat comfortable with the tow pac.

Pro’s
Great at slow speeds, parking lots, parking, and slippery roads.
Two up no fear of bike tipping over as passenger gets on or off.
Stopping on the side of the road no fear of uneven ground.
Stopping anywhere and not having to worry about getting your feet firmly on the ground.
Stopping fast.

Cons
Takes a bit of an effort steering through curves.
Ride is not as smooth as two wheels. Bike will wobble slightly from side to side on rough uneven road surface.
At this point in my learning curve I take all curves in the road at or below speed limit.

I like having a trike, but I think if I stick with it after a year or so I will bit the bullet and go to a complete conversion by Hannigan. The tow pac has no means on adding an anti sway bar. The hannigan does have anti sway which allows for flatter cornering and smoother more stable ride. The tow pac is okay if you ride at posted speed limits and are not aggressive in the corners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in