Trailer Hitches & "Cooler" Racks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Trailer Hitches & "Cooler" Racks

Hi Folks,

The K1200LT has less storage than my last bike.

Besides the fact that my BMW dealer told me that adding a trailer hitch will void the warranty on the driver train, can anyone tell me what kind of hitch they use and if they use a cooler/luggage rack or if they knew of a manufacturer sells a hitch with the optional rack.

I actully have no desire to pull a trailer, but have found the rack useful for luggage when traveling 2 up over a long weekend or 1 up when traveling over the course of several weeks.

Thanks.
Don from NJ

Last edited by DonNJ; Jun 15th, 2006 at 8:55 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:50 am

wow im packing for 9 days for 2 people just enough room,,,,one word......SPACEBAGS...they work great
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:13 am

I have a Dauntless hitch
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/bmwk1200lt_hitch.htm
and built a rack that bolts on in place of the ball. I have a tall narrow cooler on it most of the time,but have strapped a dry bag to it also. Here's Ari's rack http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9600
Someone that was at STC, had a manufactured one from someplace in AZ but I did not get the name. Check a Goldwing forum for a rack builder or have a local shop weld one up for you.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:21 am

Smile Rack

I am the guilty rider with the hitch rack that was seen at STC. Don Norwood named it the "NO GO" - hmm Unigo has one wheel!

I have carried 44 and 30 lbs on two trips. Only time I notice the weight is when stopping - sort of a little twitch!! One of the boxes I had mounted would touch in sharp corners (this was a big box!) I am still trying to find the best carrier to mount on the rack cause the wife says the dry bag and boxes I have used are not "BMW pretty" I will post a product review when settled on set up. BTW I use a Dauntless hitch and the rack was $45 with shipping. Good service from ALs see link below (type in URL - I must be challenged on how to copy a link!!
http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories....gage_rack.html
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 1:03 am

Here is a site with hitches and racks

http//www.alsmotorcycle accessories.com

Rusty Snyder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in