Trailer Hitches - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Trailer Hitches

My potential dealer says that installation of a trailer hitch will void the warranty of the drive train by BMW.

Can this be rue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:22 am

Red face

I believe that I read that in the owner's handbook too. Last year at the CCR a lot of riders had trailers, but I didn't ask about the warranty issue though.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:47 am

I have a trailer.

Various dealers around the country have serviced my bike, sometimes under warranty. The general consensus is that IF there is a specfic problem that MAY directly RELATE to towing a trailer BMW MIGHT not honor the warranty.

More than one dealer simply said that if it appeared to be an issue, I should (or they would) remove the hitch prior to seeking BMW approval for warranty service.

One last thing. My trailer is a Bushtec. The owners of Bushtec are very proud that BMW NA came to them when the new LT was being engineered in 1998(?) and asked them to design a hitch to compliment the bike and the suspension design. Bushtec eagerly complied. BMW and its dealers KNOW many LT owners tow, and in the case with Bushtec, they encouraged it!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:36 am

Smile

I believe BMW is again talking out of bothe sides of thier mouth. I sounds like the commercials for drugs on TV: dont take if you are pregnanat or intend to get pregnant.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:15 am

I have a Bushtec hitch and trailer. It is a fact that BMW did not warranty a rear drive on my bike and the excuse the BMW Customer Service Representative gave was because I did tow a trailer. I do think that some dealers work with this a bit, but BMW does indeed have this excuse/reason as an out, if they so choose.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in