BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Tire Damage

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I noticed a large chunk of tread missing from the rear tire on my K1200LT when I was washing it (the bike) today. I assume this happened somewhere on the way to or from last weekend's TX RTE trip to San Antonio & Austin, as the bike hasn't been out of the garage since then. My jaw fell when I saw this! I briefly considered riding it to the dealer for next week's service appointment because I've already ridden on it for some unknown number of miles in the same condition. But since I have a trailer, chock and straps with me here in New Orleans I'll just trailer it up the road to Baton Rouge for that appointment.

In the meantime I posted this on the South Central forum, in case there are any guys in the area who have the ability to change m/c tires. I'd like to save some money, as both tires should be replaced.

And by the way - the tire has 11,600 miles on it. I don't know how that happened. I usually get 8500-9000 miles on a Metzeler rear tire. Could riding two-up vs. one-up account for the difference?

Also - is this what delamination looks like...?

See less See more
#3 ·
Howard, this is just a guess, but I think that missing chunk could indeed be caused by delamination. Tires are made up by layering different layers in the green stage (before molding), and heat activated adhesive is applied between the different layers. The molding process shape the final tire, tread contour, etc. as well as curing the adhesive between the layers. The picture looks like that chunk was right under a localized delamination and ripped right off under load.

#5 ·
I kinda of jumped back in my seat when I saw this
First you were fortunate to see it when you did.
Mine was nowhere close to yours. It was more in the center of the tire and not as wide. Plus nothing was missing just worn showing the white thread. My situation call for riding from St. Regis to Missoula MT. about 50 miles but I was cautious and watched every crack in the road like a hawk. To be honest I was quite nervous. I too got a bit more than 11000+ usually 1-up. 3rd back versus 2 fronts. The thing I don't like is no warning or perhaps I don't know I'm looking at. I usually spin the wheel for a visual meaning no nails, rocks or cuts and then all of a sudden braaaaaaam :mad: and the rest of the tire looks good.
Oh well better to be safe than sorry.
Just like the severe heat is impacting those forest fires I guess it is also taking a toll on our tires if you are counting.
ride safe :bmw:

#6 ·
what a coincidence.

A rider over on TWTex just recently remarked about the same thing happening on his GL1800. Looks like the same model of tire, Metz 880.
He did a 'net search and found this is not an isolated event for these tires. I think other LT riders have experiences this too.

#7 ·
dukey33 said:
what a coincidence.

A rider over on TWTex just recently remarked about the same thing happening on his GL1800. Looks like the same model of tire, Metz 880.
He did a 'net search and found this is not an isolated event for these tires. I think other LT riders have experiences this too.
We have read on this site about delamination; it's not common, but it happens. I'll have to go back and see on which brand it was that a few guys have experienced that.

I'm not saying this is a delaminated tire. It's just such a shockingly-large and isolated patch of missing tread it caused me to pose the question. I'll do some searching here.

#8 ·
My opinion only. I don't think that is a delaminated tire. I think you hit something. I had a delaminated tire with a Bridgestone when I first got my LT and it was a swelling from underneath causing the tire to go out of balance and creating a big gash from the edge of the tread to the sidewall from rubbing on the swingarm. But maybe the Metzs respond differently when this happens.

#9 ·
Razmataz said:
My opinion only. I don't think that is a delaminated tire. I think you hit something. I had a delaminated tire with a Bridgestone when I first got my LT and it was a swelling from underneath causing the tire to go out of balance and creating a big gash from the edge of the tread to the sidewall from rubbing on the swingarm. But maybe the Metzs respond differently when this happens.
+1. I agree that it's not a delam. I had a Bridgestone that was replaced under warranty, and a delam (in my opinion, having also seen it on car tires) is a larger bubble area. I think you hit something, and actually are one lucky SOB that the chunk is all you lost! :eek:

#10 ·
hallzee said:
+1. I agree that it's not a delam. I had a Bridgestone that was replaced under warranty, and a delam (in my opinion, having also seen it on car tires) is a larger bubble area. I think you hit something, and actually are one lucky SOB that the chunk is all you lost! :eek:
OK then. I'm happy to learn from the collective here that this is most likely not a manufacturing failure but a road hazard issue. I do remember hitting something small "somewhere" on I-10 last week; who knows where or when. I think it was a small piece of tractor-trailer tire carcass. Looks like I should have pulled over and inspected the tires at the time, but then I'd probably (a) have found the damage on the spot, and (b) still be somewhere in Texas getting a tire changed. :eek:

When I do get this tire changed I'll keep it as a show-and-tell item.

#13 ·
The tyre looked fine in the daylight, before a 2 hour ride home in the dark at the end of March so didn't notice anything till last week when viewed for the first time in daylight. A little alarming to say the least! Anyhow a new tyre fitted this week (Avon Storm again), they grip right to the end. :bmw:

#15 ·
To me that does not look like a delamination, they just flat look worn out! Maybe it is the light but there does not appear to be much meat in the center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.