Plug a Tire? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:20 am Thread Starter

Plug a Tire?

Had my first 'puncture' on my LT yesterday, a hunk of metal in a rear Metz with about 12K miles on it. Couple of questions: how far would you trust a plug? My closest BMW dealers are in either Indy or lower Michigan (we have a former BMW dealer 20 miles away, but I am not letting some 23 year old kid with 2 weeks of 'Yamaha school' touch my bike). I thought of my options and I can either ride to a dealership, or take a shot at doing it myself. My only issue with doing it myself is lack of equipment and lack of a way to properly balance the new tire. If I DID elect to do it myself, is there a way to balance a tire without all the equipment? WTF are Dyna-Beads?
Riding just a couple miles home on a tire loosing air....in traffic......also made me wonder about those air pressure monitoring systems I hear everyone talking about....can someone enlighten me?
Right now the bike gets to be dormant for a couple weeks while I take the family on vacation, so I will have plenty of time to weigh all my options and see what is both the safest and most cost effective course of action.
Thanks.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Plug a Tire?

With 12K on the tire I would NOT plug it as the tire is gone anyway. Do you have a Cycle Gear Near you? if so pull the rear wheel yourself & take it in to be replaced. If no Cycle Gear then any dealer can do it. Before I started mounting my own tires I used a local Honda Dealer. I still buy my rear tires from them as they are cheaper then I can find them online.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:54 am
cws

Garage

If you need to ride it to get repaired, you could use Ultraseal in the tyre. Depends on how much tread is left whether its worth it.
I put it in my tyres when new as soon as I get home. Peace of mind.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Tire still actually has plenty of tread left on it, and my wife accused me of being a skinflint for even considering riding it further than just to somewhere to get a new tire put on.
Given the amount of tread left om my rear tire, and the fact that my front (although cupped) still has plenty of tread......it made me wonder.....what is everybody else getting for mileage out of a set of tires?

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 8:48 am

Unhappy Re: Plug a Tire?

I've plugged 5+ motorcycle tires using sticky worms from the auto parts store. I've never had a failure. Total mileage on plugged tires is probably around 10K. Two Sundays ago, after a day of gravel and some off-road on the Strom I pulled a rock out and plugged a rear tire that was less than 48 hours old. It will be going to Nova Scotia later in the summer. I'll probably put 8K on this plug alone. I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever had one of these type of plugs fail?

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:24 am

This should not be that hard..

If you are okay to open you wallet and replace the tire, you can
a) plug it and ride up to the shop of your preference or
b) put the bike up on the centerstand, remove the wheel assy and carry it to the shop of your preference. It's the easiest bike wheel to remove I have ever encountered.

The shop tech will be much happier with you on either of these options than any kind of sealant which will require cleaning off the wheel.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever had one of these type of plugs fail?
I've had one come loose and leak. It was by no means a catastrophic, crash, burn and die situation.

It worked loose.
It leaked air.
I put in a new plug and went on.

Just keep an eye on the tire and pressure (like you should anyway). No biggie.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:11 am

Having had a tire go down rapidly at 65 mph once, any compromise in a tire seems too risky. Out of a abundance caution I am of the opinion that plugs should only be a short term solution.
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:19 pm

As for your question about Dyna Beads look here:
[URL=http://www.innovativebalancing.com/[/URL]

Um, don't know if I put that link in there correctly or not. May have to copy & paste.
Anyway, there's been a big discussion on this board about this. The ones that use them (me) love them. The ones that don't have never tried them. I think I've seen one post from someone who tried & didn't like them. Not sure why. I've got over 21,000 miles on my front tire and its just now starting to cup a little bit. But its up for replacement anyway.
YMMV

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I've plugged motorcycle tires a time or two during my riding years,
long enough to get me to a place where I could get another tire.

It just doesn't make any sense to ride on a plugged tire,
that's a lot like playing Russian roulette,
sure you might be able to get away with it for a while,
but sooner or later it's going to "bite you in the ass"

The way people in cars drive "these days" there's enough "risk" just riding a motorcycle,
I'm not going to put myself or my wife at a "disadvantage" for a couple of hundred bucks,

I'm worth more than that and my wife's safety is worth everything I own!

This kinda goes back to the:
"if you've got a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet"
type of logic.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:15 am

Let me revive this old thread. I searched and know the opinions of plugging verse replacing tires.

Some months back I had plugged my rear tire with a sticky worm and glue after finding what turned out to be a sheet rock screw in it. It worked and to my knowledge from checking it didn't leak air.

This week I picked up another nail and it's definitely leaking from the new nail. I'm not all that comfortable though with putting a 2nd plug in a different spot on the same tire though. It seems I remember from somewhere that was really not a good idea. So it looks like I'll be getting a new tire a little sooner than I had expected. Unless someone has amazing true experiences with multiple pluggings to convince me to try it I guess I'll be tire shopping.

FWIW the current rear tire is a Bridgestone Battleax BT020 with well over 13,000 miles on it and still has good tread. From what I'd read I didn't expect it to last this long. I ride mostly 2 up with a normal pressure of 44 psi in it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have no problem plugging tires on the LT. They do handle quite well with no air in the tires. I use the rope plugs. At worse they might develope a slow leak.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 7:27 pm
cws

Garage

I'd be plugging it and putting Ultraseal or Slime in it to make sure any leaks stop.... rode a previously plugged tyre for 3000km's to end of life with a tek-screw still embedded in it.... but thats just me.... you have to make up your own mind what you consider safe.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Right about that I hav to decide what's safe. I've plugged it once already with no ill effects or leaks for several thousand miles since last November. I was a bit hesitant about a second plug. But now I'm thinking I'll go for it and keep on schedule to replace the tire before a BRP trip this fall. And Dave you're right, with tires designed for the LT it handles pretty decent on very low tire pressure.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #15 of 20 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 6:07 am

Garage

I put a tube in it.

Sam

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 9:05 pm

Have not had the "good fortune" to ever need to plug a bike tire. Every bike flat I've had has been on one that ran tubes.
BUT I would have no hesitation whatever about doing so on normal tread punctures and carry the tools to do so on my bike (and in every car). I've done this routinely on car and truck tires, sometimes in a pinch even on track tires that see temps way above street rubber. Never had a plug leak or fail and wouldn't expect to ever see that happen. I use only string type plugs and T-handle tools. Because only modest punctures get sealed this way (I would never use multiple plugs in a hole- anything that big needs internal repair, a tube or a new tire.) even a failed plug would only lead to a slow leak, the remote possibility of which disturbs me not at all - I've had total blowouts of tires on tracks at triple digit speeds and don't find such stuff much of a problem- a slow leak is hardly worth thinking about. I'd just replug it and keep driving should it ever happen.
However, my experience and training makes it very easy for me to detect small differences in tire pressures on stuff I normally drive with no instruments (like a TPMS) needed. Others may not have this ability so be more worried by the chance of an undetected slow leak so do what suits your comfort level. If you think you wouldn't notice a small leak until the tire gets so low your bike is ready to wobble it off the wheel you probably ought to just buy a new tire every time you get a puncture - but remember that you still have a valve stem and possible slow bead leaks at any time and even new stuff doesn't offer full protection against those possibilities.
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 6:21 pm

I figure the same thing COULD happen or it COULD NOT and that would be a slow leak. So this weekend, I'll see what happens.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #18 of 20 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 7:53 pm

Couple of things...

1. A patched tire is just that... patched. It should do you well to get to some place where you can change it for a new tire.

2. Placing a tube in a tubeless rim is not a good idea.

So, start diatribe (grab remote and change channel):

When a tire gets punctured, something from the outside travels all the way thru the multiple layers of the tire towards the inside. Along the way, those many layers get disrupted, damaged, broken or displaced. Putting a patch in a tire does not repair the broken cords, the disrupted vulcanizing of the layers or the damage to the carcass. I would use an analogy of getting blood drawn by having a needle puncture the arm and ultimately the vein. Damage does occur, however, the human body can repair what is broken or damaged. Tires cannot do that...

So in a plugged tire, the damage to the layers is still there. The choice to continue on a tire that has had such damage is up to the rider. A rider could go for years with nary a mishap on a plugged tire... but then there's that one day when the bike is loaded, Precious is in position behind you and the plugged tire gives up from damage that the plug could not repair.

Now, as for tubes in tubeless rims designed for tubeless tires. I would use a tube in a tubeless tire if I needed it to make it to a place to get a new tire. I would not run a tube as a way of doing business in a tubeless rim on a cruising motorcycle. PERIOD!

Tubes can and will move independent of the tire on a rim built for a tubeless tire. Movement results in friction. Friction results in heat. Excess heat is an enemy in a tire. To much and it could be pucker factor time at 60+ miles per hour.

Any type of movement (and you can't tell me there won't be in a tire at pressure) will cause wear, hot spots and possible tire/tube rotation. Anyone of these undesirable effects can lead to failure of the catastrophic kind. Don't forget that as you make turns, accelerate or brake, the forces put upon the tread, sidewall and casing of any tire are enormous.

When you get a chance, look at the inside of a tubeless tire. Feel along the sides and edges... feel along the inside surface of the rim... not quit as smooth as a babies butt is it? Every bit of fuzz, raised edge or rib will cause a tire to work on a tube. Any one of those irregularities is a point of failure in a rim and tire that has a tube placed inside. I won't even discuss if a rim has a TPMS in it.

I could go on about trapped air between the tube and the tire carcass during inflation, but most everyone knows that a tubeless tire seals on the rim and inflating a tube in a tubeless rim would need some way to make sure that air is not trapped inside between the tube and the tire or the inevitable bubble could occur.

As a side note, tubeless rims are also not designed with a tube in mind. Tubed rims are designed to work with a tube. Tubeless rims are not.

So... I opt for safety. A plugged tire or a tire with a temporary tube will make it to someplace where you should consider a new one IMHO.

I look at it this way... Replacing (translate: buying) a tire, front or back, that has had a puncture and patch that got me to safety is worth the $200 when it comes to insuring my safety and that of my passenger.

However, your mileage may vary...

just sayin'...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #19 of 20 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 8:12 pm

Because "it" never has happened
"proves"
that "it" never could happen .........to you????

I fully support your freedom to make your own decisions,
even though I may not agree with your "choices" or your "logic"

It cost's about ten bucks to get a "hot" patch put on the inside of a tire,
If that's too much money or trouble to go through for your safety,

then there's nothing left to say, except maybe:

Here:.... hold my beer and watch this!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #20 of 20 Old Jun 25th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Let me revive this old thread. I searched and know the opinions of plugging verse replacing tires.

Some months back I had plugged my rear tire with a sticky worm and glue after finding what turned out to be a sheet rock screw in it. It worked and to my knowledge from checking it didn't leak air.

This week I picked up another nail and it's definitely leaking from the new nail. I'm not all that comfortable though with putting a 2nd plug in a different spot on the same tire though. It seems I remember from somewhere that was really not a good idea. So it looks like I'll be getting a new tire a little sooner than I had expected. Unless someone has amazing true experiences with multiple pluggings to convince me to try it I guess I'll be tire shopping.

FWIW the current rear tire is a Bridgestone Battleax BT020 with well over 13,000 miles on it and still has good tread. From what I'd read I didn't expect it to last this long. I ride mostly 2 up with a normal pressure of 44 psi in it.
It's a moot point now. I pulled the wheel to go ahead and plug it. What at first seemed to be a nail was actually the plug from last fall's repair. It indeed was leaking. As others have posted, the most that could happen is to develop a slow leak. Well it did that. I'm not going to repair a repair to a tire so it looks like my tire purchase has been moved up after all.

Chris Ehlbeck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in