Warning about old tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Warning about old tires

I posted a few weeks ago that found an incredibly good deal on Dunlop tires for my "new" R1100RS from BMW of Grand Rapids. But as always, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is...

I should have ask a few questions before I bought...

The tires I received are made in 04 and 05. The consensus in the tire industry is that tires should not be used past 5 years from the manufacturing date according to the DOT week and year code on the sidewall. Some tire manufacturers do not warranty tires any longer after 5 years.

I would have bought the tire even had I known about the age and I will use the tires and monitor them closely. But, I think it is bad business practice to not disclose to the public that these tires are old stock. Most consumers have no idea what DOT codes are, and have no idea that tires have a shelf life. I certainly would not sell 5 year old tires out of our dealership for fear of possible future liability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=360170997105

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Garage
Re: Warning about old tires

Sometimes, when a store has a sale on items with an expiration date like tires, batteries, etc. it is to rotate the stock...get rid of the old, make room for the new. So it is buyer beware, check the manufacture or expiration date whenever possible.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:57 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Again I am going to open my yap and say it depends.

If I am stocking tires, and I am, when they come, I inspect them, spray them with SP 303, inside and out, and they go into a spare ceder lined closet. Not that the cedar matters, but cool, dry, and no UV light.

My Azarros may be close to that or over, and I dont give that a thought at all.

I would say, buy fresh, store them well, and no worries.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 3:18 am

Have you ever gotten a great price on new tires and wondered how can this tire be new? Well the answer might be that you just purchased old but UNUSED tires. The problem is that tires, like any rubber product, degrade over time and could present a significant yet hidden safety risk regardless of tread depth.
The danger of old tires has been known since at least September 2003 when the British-based Tyre Industry Council issued an unprecedented warning that previously unused tires should not be sold if they were more than 6 years old, and that all tires should be replaced 10 years after their manufacture. It is curious that European and Japanese automobile manufacturers warn of this danger but NOT U.S. tire manufacturers. For example the Volkswagen manual states “WARNING - old tires can fail in use, causing loss of vehicle control and personal injury. Replace tires after 6 years regardless of tread wear.”
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Garage

I've worked in the tyre development for 10 years and I can confirm that tyres DO get "old".

On the other hand, the major reason for a tyre to get "old" is exposure to UV, ozone, oxigen and weather in general. This is a reason for the warning on the Volkswagen manual: you have to change the tyres after 6 years on the car.

Therefore, also LAF is correct: if you're totally sure that the tyres have been stored properly, protected from UV, weather and humidity, they can last longer than 5 years.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in