Do you replace tires as a pair? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Do you replace tires as a pair?

I'm getting ready to replace my squared off ME880 rear tire (not enough twisties on the Texas Gulf coast) and got free shipping from Southwest moto tires by ordering both front and rear tires.

I'll probably replace both tires because I have them but I'm wondering if most of you replace both tires at the same time, or do you run the front tire longer until the tread wears down too?

Have a great day!

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:56 am

I think it is really personal preference.

Changing one saves money.

Changing two ensure good rubber, and less frequent trips for tire changes.

If I changed my own tires, I might do the one at a time thing, but since I don't, I change them both at the same time.

I don't want to change one, then go back in a month or two and change the other. Besides, even though the front wears longer, they usually start to feather and I don't like the ride as well as a new one.

It really boils down to a money / convienence type of decision.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:58 am

Yes.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:17 am

If money does not matter and in a perfect world a new matched set is the perfect way to go.

Myself, My Front 020 bias ply is worn down to 1 mm, I ordered a set of 880s and will install only the front 880 as my rear 020 bias still has 5.+ mm of tread left. When it wears down I will install the rear 880 then!!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:25 am
Ted

on my 3rd set of 880's - and have replaced both every time.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #6 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:27 am

Your Mileage May Vary

I average 12-14 thousand miles on the rear tire
and 20 thousand on the front
and change them accordingly unless circumstances call for an earlier change like if I'm preparing for a major road trip or there's a problem. (cupping, uneven wear etc)
The rule I follow consistently is if I have any doubts I change them.
The cost doesn't matter, I want the best equipment, tires and brakes because I'm worth it.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:34 am

More often than not, I only replace one at a time. But if the front only has 1K or so left on it, I'll do both just to get it over and done with. I do tend to order them 2 at a time though...just to save on shipping.
post #8 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 6:19 pm

So far yes, on my LT, 2 at a time.
ME880s on my second set changed at 12K
I'll probably change those out too at 24K

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:15 pm

I change both. For about he same price for one tire at a dealer I can get a set online.
post #10 of 26 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:20 pm

I do both at the same time. It's only one trip to the shop and if I get another 2-4k miles out of the front, then I have to make another trip to have it changed.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll replace both as I have the replacements in the garage.

I bought the NO-Mar tire spoons after wrestling with duct taping a standard spoon to keep from scratching the wheel last time. I'm looking forward to an easier time getting that rear bead over the rim with these.

Do you have your tires installed at Lone Star, ibbones? BMW of North Houston is supposed to open their shop on our side of town (Beltway 8 & US 59) this November. That will be a little shorter ride if the service is decent.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #12 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:28 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
I'm getting ready to replace my squared off ME880 rear tire (not enough twisties on the Texas Gulf coast) and got free shipping from Southwest moto tires by ordering both front and rear tires.

I'll probably replace both tires because I have them but I'm wondering if most of you replace both tires at the same time, or do you run the front tire longer until the tread wears down too?

Have a great day!

Joe
Yes, because nothing feels better than all new rubber. Improved handling and the confidence of that new tires can provide is well worth the cost.
post #13 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 1:01 am

I too replace both at the same time. I keep the rear as a spare in case I pick up a nail, bolt, or other road hazard debris.

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #14 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 1:03 am

2:1 Ratio

Joe,

My ME880's wear at a rate of about 2 rear tires to 1 front tire. I do change my own tires, and I try to order them 3 at a time from SWMoto. 2 rears and 1 front.

Bill B.

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #15 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:57 am

Same here with my 880's. Two rears to one front.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #16 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:34 pm

BT020 Radial

Usually replace front when feathering / wear warrants it. Then when it is time for the next front the rear is ready and the pair gets replaced.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #17 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Quote:
T

Do you have your tires installed at Lone Star, ibbones? BMW of North Houston is supposed to open their shop on our side of town (Beltway 8 & US 59) this November. That will be a little shorter ride if the service is decent.

Joe
I ordered them when Edgar needed a set and had them shipped to his house in San Antonio. Dick picked them up from Edgar and dropped them off at Rhinewest on the day I made an appointment. I am not the one to do my own stuff so I rode in and rode out.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 26 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:05 pm

Re: Do you replace tires as a pair?

Im not about to change and balance a tire myself.So......if you buy online the local BMW dealer is ok with installing tires that was purchased elsewhere ? If so what would they charge ?
post #19 of 26 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat
Im not about to change and balance a tire myself.So......if you buy online the local BMW dealer is ok with installing tires that was purchased elsewhere ? If so what would they charge ?
Some dealer will not mount tires from some one else so check with "YOUR" dealer. I sometimes use "Cycle Gear" (when Grif's Garage is closed) they do good work

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 26 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: Do you replace tires as a pair?

Quote:

Have a great day!

Joe
NO! I change them when it's needed as I do my own changing and keep a set near my computer as I buy them online mainly in the fall and winter as they are usually much cheaper to buy.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #21 of 26 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:21 pm

Independent of changing one or two tires, important is to change when you real need.
If you see this video, you will know when is time to change tyres and other things very interesting about tyres.
Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Yq7...eature=related

Regards from Portugal

Fernando Fernandes (Portugal)
K1200LT

post #22 of 26 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:21 am

Garage

has anyone checked the manufacturers date code on their new tires? I saw a report that you don't want to be on tires that are over 6 years old. I am sure most of you will wear them out way before 6 years passes, but I bought a low mileage LT and the tires on it are now 6 years old. The date code is the last group of 4 numbers follwoing the tire size.
post #23 of 26 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 4:18 pm

How much is the 880 rear these days? Last bought them in April 2007 and got 10,000 out of the rear, front still looks great.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #24 of 26 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Some dealer will not mount tires from some one else so check with "YOUR" dealer. I sometimes use "Cycle Gear" (when Grif's Garage is closed) they do good work
Nope... Won't accept that they do good work... Took my rims to them for new feet. Had over 4 oz's. of weight on the front rim and 3.5 on the rear.

The dot on the tire was no where near the heavy spot on the rim. Guy tells me the spot is worthless and all cast rims are balanced true before they go on the bike.

Rims were a dirty mess when they went in I will admit, but the rims came back just as dirty.

Puh-leeze...

I now use a NoMar machine. All the wheels I now do have the rims cleaned spotless, the rim balanced before the tire goes on and then rebalanced when the shoe is on the rim. My front shed 3 oz's on remounting and 2.5 on the remount of the rear.

Cycle Gear? Sells products, but I won't go to them for service...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #25 of 26 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002LTC
has anyone checked the manufacturers date code on their new tires? I saw a report that you don't want to be on tires that are over 6 years old. I am sure most of you will wear them out way before 6 years passes, but I bought a low mileage LT and the tires on it are now 6 years old. The date code is the last group of 4 numbers follwoing the tire size.
Yep...

http://expressoriders.org/UMBlog/?p=39

Scary when you read all about it...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #26 of 26 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:20 pm

I seem to go through 3 rear tires for every 2 front ones... so occasionally I do change both together but more frequently not.

Recently I even mixed brands: my BT020 rear had about half its tread left so I just changed the front to a PR2, and then changed the rear to a matching PR2 when the tread was gone. (Well, actually was past gone...) Anyway, I didn't notice any handling issues with the mixed brands, but it was sure nice to get a fresh PR2 on the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in