BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Surveys and Polls (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/surveys-polls/)
-   -   What is your age? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/surveys-polls/2247-what-your-age.html)

eljeffe Nov 10th, 2005 7:20 pm

What is your age?

We had this poll running on the old site, and the average age was 52. Based on the people I met at CCR, I am interested to see if that average has dropped. So, share your age. The poll is anonymous.

eljeffe Nov 17th, 2005 6:23 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the results so far from the K-Bikes.com site (compared with BMWLT.com in blue)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...tachmentid=771 -----http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...tachmentid=772

TimVipond Nov 18th, 2005 8:01 am

Cool. How about a poll on "Have you ever had your K1200LT rear drive fail?" Yes or no choice for each 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 model owned. Might help us determine percentages, problem models.

eljeffe Nov 18th, 2005 8:11 am

Tim,

I don't know where you've been lately, but we've had a rear drive failure survey going for years (both on the old site and now here). Mike Kiesel was kind enough to transfer all the data from the old site into the new survey system.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/survey.p...results&sid=28

SilverBuffalo Nov 18th, 2005 8:35 am

above average

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljeffe
We had this poll running on the old site, and the average age was 52. Based on the people I met at CCR, I am interested to see if that average has dropped. So, share your age. The poll is anonymous.

I just voted and just as I figured, I'm above average :)

michman Dec 21st, 2005 11:59 pm

25-29 y/o = .35%

Guess I am young....

Oh well, still a heck of fun machine and I'm not much into racing around town from bar to bar.....

Owned her for 1.5 years and 25,000 miles....having fun!!

Ride safe...

Steve_R Dec 22nd, 2005 6:55 am

Just shows that you have much more common sense than your peers!! Glad you're enjoying your ride.

Ride Safe!!

NevadaNez Jan 8th, 2006 7:54 am

Not surprised at the stats

Thanks for setting the poll up! I'm new to the site and the K1200 (I should be picking up a brand spanking new gold 2005 LT on Monday, if all goes well) but certainly not to motorcycling. These poll numbers confirm what I think is an intuitive understanding about owning a machine like the K1200, or any BMW motorcycle, for that matter: the owner of a bike like this is not typically the first time motorcycle purchaser looking to discover whether riding is for them--or not. No, I suspect most BMW owners have previously owned other machines over their lifetimes and "graduated" to the BMW in a progression of refined tastes and preferences for their riding needs.
I'd like to see a pol about this? Got any extra time handy to create one? *wink*
Thanks again for the poll--and by the way, I'm dead on "average." Ah, but what the heck--I am soon to be blasting the highways and byways from Nashville to Reno and I can assure you, there'll be nothing average about taking those trips on my new K1200!

eljeffe Jan 28th, 2006 1:04 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Wow! It looks like the age has skewed DOWN since the last time we ran this poll. The majority of votes was in the 50-54 range the last time. Now it looks like the 45-49 range has more people. Very interesting! Keep'em coming!

K1200LT riders versus the rest of the K1200 line.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=1708http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=1709

nbroca Jan 28th, 2006 3:28 pm

59 since December 12, '05

StLHeadake Feb 6th, 2006 2:39 pm

Hey Mich

My wife and I were just in Madison last week. She was there on business, I was there for the beer! Sorry it's a weakness. I/we used to live in Lancaster on the south west corner. Beautiful riding over there if you haven't made it (I'm sure you have though). What a great state to ride in!

I used to ride up 35 from Prairie DuChein(sp?) to St. Croix or Michael just at WI and MN border. I would frequently get caught behind a heard of Cruisers. I couldn't wait for them to get into the nearest town. Seemed like they always stopped at the bars. I never understood that!

BTW I am on the youngish side too 36. I got mine before my father who's 61! He rode mine and sold his wing!

Take care!

Scott Armstead
aka Stlheadake
99 LTi Basalt Grey (Special K)

Quote:

Originally Posted by michman
Guess I am young....

Oh well, still a heck of fun machine and I'm not much into racing around town from bar to bar.....

Owned her for 1.5 years and 25,000 miles....having fun!!

Ride safe...

hawg Apr 1st, 2006 3:12 pm

Compare LT with Goldwing age survey

Thought you might like to see how LT age survey compares with a Goldwing age survey:

http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/files/5.../5009ages.jpeg

WestWind Apr 4th, 2006 12:52 am

I'm below average ... ... age that is.

The line graph is an easy way to view the results at a glance.

rixchard Apr 4th, 2006 2:19 pm

the bell curve exists everywhere

winder Apr 5th, 2006 11:25 am

Safely arrived at 50

winder Apr 5th, 2006 11:28 am

The HD age is over "shake, raddle, and barely roles"

winder Apr 5th, 2006 11:31 am

I ride a K12LT,richard you ride a BMW ??

winder Apr 5th, 2006 11:40 am

Nomohd

The difference between what I had , 03 HD FXD and what I have now
06 K 1200 LT is like going from the flintstones to the jetsons., no comparison.

andyhardt Sep 12th, 2006 11:33 am

43 years old

Billy Oct 7th, 2006 8:50 pm

? Average age LT driver

I am 62. Just sold my Harley Deuce and I like the LT. Many
Harley drivers are in my age group. Is this true of the LT or are they much younger?

early1 Oct 7th, 2006 8:53 pm

I think --

Our last survey showed 51-- IIRC

Lzyellodog Oct 7th, 2006 9:04 pm

Turning 39 in a couple of days. So I must be below avg. :)

GBaker Oct 7th, 2006 9:05 pm

I just sold my RK Classic and bought the LT. I am 56 years young...

hschisler Oct 7th, 2006 9:14 pm

This poll shows that you are well within "the norm". Now go get your LT!

zippy_gg Oct 7th, 2006 10:15 pm

Turning 51 in 9 days... so I am right on the money!:D

sbrooten Oct 7th, 2006 11:34 pm

Age is just a state of mind. Now get out there and ride!

danbrown Oct 8th, 2006 6:56 am

age does't matter -adults don't ride motorcycles

LTsaddledance Oct 8th, 2006 8:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbrown
age does't matter -adults don't ride motorcycles

Right you are Dan!

I've got a sticker on my RK that says:
"Your never to old to have a happy childhood"

stefeb Oct 8th, 2006 8:20 am

At just past 60,(July, this year), I traded my Ultra Classic for an '06 LT. Some truth to the saying, "Wisdom comes with age." ;)

STARFIGHTER Oct 8th, 2006 8:45 am

63 going on 18
I'm above average !!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy Oct 8th, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks guys. I love the LT and I am going to get one. I haven't had any trouble on the test rides other than trying not to zoom around the corners!

dpmitche Oct 8th, 2006 3:17 pm

Eeek, I'm only 31! But I haven't bought it yet -- riding a BMW R1200C at the moment and calling about a specific LT tomorrow morning... Came very close to buying on Saturday.

early1 Oct 8th, 2006 3:38 pm

Don't fret yungun

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpmitche
Eeek, I'm only 31! But I haven't bought it yet -- riding a BMW R1200C at the moment and calling about a specific LT tomorrow morning... Came very close to buying on Saturday.

--Heck 'most none o' us acts our age nohow

Londonlad Oct 8th, 2006 4:24 pm

Just had to add my 2 cents. Almost (but not quite 71) Sold my 04 FLHTCUI for an 06 LT. Do the same. You'll love it. Just got back from a 200 mile spin thru the TN countryside.
Bill

2191 Oct 8th, 2006 5:39 pm

Ave age of LT riders

Turned 67 on my last BD. Hope to be riding my LT at age 80.

Ribber side down, shinney side up.

Ride safe an ENJOY the LT you buy.

Jmkinniell Nov 27th, 2006 5:45 pm

Who is the youngester?

So, Who is the Young Guy?

CajunBass Nov 30th, 2006 7:02 pm

I guess I'm right in the "average" at 54. I just started riding motorcycles about a year ago on a Yamaha Majesty 400cc "scooter." After a year of commuting on that, I realized that (1) I really enjoyed riding a motorcyle, and (2) needed something more comfortable. The only things I found that offered what I felt I needed were the Gold Wing, the full dress Harley (I forget what it's called), and the K1200LT. I really liked the BWM, but figured they were out of my price range until I happened to find a very lightly used one at what I thought was a good price.

I've only got about 3,000 miles on it, but I've only had the bike about a month or so.

dhendy Dec 1st, 2006 9:35 am

CNN says 60 is the middle age...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/11/30...eut/index.html

Now start the rants about CNN and bias.

As a barely 40 something about to retire, I love being 40, knowing who I am and not having any thing to prove. And I know what I like, just like those 40 year-old women!

Of course, having a new injury every time I work out is fun too. What the hell is a piriformis anyway. Or a planter fascia. Or a shoulder spur. Or bursitis. And why can't I see as good I used to even though my doc says I have 20/20 vision...

And what is this grey stuff in my hair. Of course I do have as much hair as I always have had...except now it seems to be coming out of my ears, nose, and eye brows...

Why is youth wasted on the young?

Morley Dec 26th, 2006 6:33 pm

You forgot one on the poll page:
Old enough to know better but still don't want to.

beemerrider Jan 16th, 2007 7:46 am

i see i am i the most common year age group.....46

Jerod521 Jan 18th, 2007 1:10 pm

Considering I was born in the Reagan decade I guess that would make me one of the youngest...

dano0827 Apr 11th, 2007 8:00 pm

so mostly old guys with grey ball$, i should be careful i will be old one day, as the saying goes, better to be old and wise, then young and stupid.

TomC Apr 14th, 2007 11:00 pm

Long-in-the-tooth and loving it!

I am now 68 and have been riding Beemers for 35years. I'm on my second KLT now and plan on wearing out a couple more before I'm finished. My riding buddy (for over 50 years - he's 70) and I did an Edelweiss Alps tour last August and loved every mile of it......planning on Rome to Sicily next.
Ride safe and long.

Tom C
Rome GA

zippy_gg Apr 15th, 2007 4:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomC
I am now 68 and have been riding Beemers for 35years. I'm on my second KLT now and plan on wearing out a couple more before I'm finished. My riding buddy (for over 50 years - he's 70) and I did an Edelweiss Alps tour last August and loved every mile of it......

Congrats! That is what my dad did, retired from professional riding (press) and kept riding smaller bikes just for fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomC
planning on Rome to Sicily next.

There may be some swimming involved!:rolleyes: :D
All kidding aside... you will have a ball!

Octus May 2nd, 2007 10:50 pm

Double Nickle/55

Don't tell my wife though. She thinks I'm 65 and look great for my age.

mefly2 May 3rd, 2007 9:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dano0827
so mostly old guys with grey ball$, i should be careful i will be old one day, as the saying goes, better to be old and wise, then young and stupid.

:rolleyes:

Yeeech; how do you conclude that?
The largest single segment in the survey is 45-49, but with 50-59 and 40-44 contributing to the curve. Last I checked, no gray here ... in fact, my doc said to go for it every hour on the hour while awake! My wife agrees !!! :eek: Must have been the high speed flying ... balls to the wall ...

If that (40-49, or... even 40-59) is old ... then, perhaps, I should stop teaching martial arts, hiking up and flying my paraglider, riding my bicycle, skiing, (quit long-distance running just about four years ago), certainly turn in my badge (although I passed the last PT / but the 26 yo I ran with did NOT) and MOST Certainly trade in my 1150 for something more akin to a gentleman of my gathering dusty years ... you see, I clock in at 59! :cool:

Heracleitus Jun 13th, 2007 5:36 am

Feeling young, dumb and . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by mefly2
If that (40-49, or... even 40-59) is old

It may not be old, but it sure makes you older than I. :histerica

It was interesting to see just how few LT owners there were in my age group (33). I wasn't surprised since my "peer group" seems to gravitate towards either crotch-rockets or cruisers (HDs, mostly). But I want to ride with the Mrs and she doesn't want to ride her own. That landed us smack-dab in the LT, GL or UCEG market. The LT, at least to me, was the obvious choice of the three.

ironbuttwannabe Jun 14th, 2007 1:41 pm

im 23 and there is not many around that age. if anyone around my age, or any age, would want to ride sometime im planning a big trip this year. and a trip to alaska next year. hopefully get my 100,000 miles on bmw's by end of this year. i live just south of cleveland so if you want to ride sometime get a hold of me.

DarkMeister Jun 18th, 2007 6:24 am

52 and (not) counting.
No gray balls. Yet.
The way my 20-year old son is drooling over the LT (So! Dad! How's the old ticker, anyway? Feel fine?) we may get a very young member one of these days.

brianbeemer Jun 19th, 2007 5:11 am

Can I change my vote as I move into the next bracket??? :o