The Mojave's Infastructure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Question The Mojave's Infastructure

I'm looking for someone who's ridden through the Eastern part of the Mojave Desert/National Preserve. One of my trip planners has an option of going from Arizona into Needles, California, then North towards Las Vegas. There's a 46 mile road running pretty much North and South connecting Goffs and Nipton, Ca. called Lanfair Rd on the Southern end and Ivanpah Rd. on the Northern end. The National Park Service's website claims all of it is paved except the middle 15 miles, which they describe as graded dirt that all vehicles can travel- famous last words. I'm wondering how many LTs have they seen travel it w/o incident? Has anyone here done it, especially two-up on a heavy bike such as the LT?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikerj; Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:29 am. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Garage
Re: The Mojave's Infastructure

Jeff can't answer that.
At the start of your Q I was about to say when I left the Grand Canyon on US 64 south into Williams picked up I-40 thru Kingman and Needles I was basically into the Mojave but that was the total extent as I continued west.
Similar predicament only for about a mile or so.
Tried to camp in Yellowstone but full. Ranger told me I could check out Eagle Creek campground just to the north and so I did. What starts out as paved soon turned into gravel and later into harden ground and loose gravel up pretty steep grades with 15 and 20 mile switchbacks. Well I needed the rest and the campsite so I did not let that stop me. One thing though if a turtle or snail were racing me to the spot they would have gotten it . Next morning I was freaked out coming down. Good thing I did not have to pee
ride safe
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: The Mojave's Infastructure

Iíve been on most of the paved roads in that area but am not familiar with Lanfair Rd. If you want to ride through Mojave suggest: East on I-40 to you get to Kelbacker Rd., then North on Kelso/Cima Rd., to Ivanpah RD to Nipton then North on I-15 to Vegas. I take these roads often way I go to Vegas as I can save 30 minutes vs. the Interstates. Last time was in May and parts of the roads were pretty rough but doable two-up. If youíre looking great scenery Ė the Mojave doesnít do much for me. If time permits, go from Flagstaff to go through Sedona, Prescott to Quartzite, CA. Take I-10 East to Joshua Tree Nat Park. Scenery is a little better albeit different. Then head toward Amboy. From there you have several options including one through the Mojave. Keep in mind the low desert in the summer is really hot!

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in