Finally got my lift table.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Finally got my lift table..

After 2 and a 1/2 months of waiting the folks at Complete Hydraulics finally sent my table. Going to unpack it and get it set up at the shop so I can make sure of the hole I have to cut. Planning on cutting the garage floor at the house and insetting it flush so there is no trip hazard.

Anyone in the Phoenix area done this and can you share any tips so I only have to make new mistakes instead of old ones??

Tired of sitting on the concrete so want to get this done before the heat gets here. Got a guy with a concrete saw lined up and he will help with the lifting and grunting.

Why am I here and what day is it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 6:14 am

Re: Finally got my lift table..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaron
After 2 and a 1/2 months of waiting the folks at Complete Hydraulics finally sent my table. Going to unpack it and get it set up at the shop so I can make sure of the hole I have to cut. Planning on cutting the garage floor at the house and insetting it flush so there is no trip hazard.

Anyone in the Phoenix area done this and can you share any tips so I only have to make new mistakes instead of old ones??

Tired of sitting on the concrete so want to get this done before the heat gets here. Got a guy with a concrete saw lined up and he will help with the lifting and grunting.
Hi, Kevin - got questions. What brand of lift table? Method of raising/lowering (I assume hydraulic, butt assuming is ???).
After cutting the floor, what will provide the foundation for the lift? Any cause for concern in cutting thru the garage slab's grid of rebar?
Insetting the lift flush into the floor will decrease the lift's fully raised height dimension by the depth of the cutout hole. Considered?
Does the lift have an attached wheel chock? If so, is it easily removed after the lift is lowered?
Sorry for all the questions, Kevin. I don't mean to be negative, but I pondered those and more, back in the day when I considered flush mounting my Handi-lift at the house. Decided against it at the time, and as luck would have it, I've had an occasion to move the lift twice!!
Good luck with your plans, Kevin - hope you'll issue a project report following completion.
post #3 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 7:07 am

Also, is there any damp proof course that you might cut through. Maybe that's not a consideration where you live, but it would prevent me doing something similar to what your planning. Any benches around here that I've seen have wheels so they can be pushed somewhere out of the way.

post #4 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 9:07 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

I have moved mine a couple of times also as other things in the garage have come and gone. I park the bike on it so it doesn't take up much space that wouldn't be used anyway. It is a Handi Lift and the ramp will remove just by lifting up on it so if that is a concern it can just be leaned up against a wall.

Also consider resale of the house. Unless this is going to be your last house the new owner may not want a hole in his garage floor.

Good luck with the project what ever you decide to do. Pictures would be great if you do the cut.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #5 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Dick, The lift table is this one..http://www.completehydraulic.com/lif...ycle-tcml.html

Not sure of the make but it's rated for 1500 lbs and looks solid.
It is air lift so I will also cut a small channel for the air line to run to the bench where the compressor is hiding.
Hadn't thought about the rebar in the garage floor, phone call to the concrete guy this morning to check on that. Thanks for tip number 1!
I know the lift be a little bit shorter inset and I have no problem with that.
The lift does have a detachable chock, haven't had the time to look at it. Going to set up the lift today and play with it.

Thank you for all your questions Dick, that's why I came here and asked for help. Having never done this before I am hoping to get as much information and insights as i can before I even fire up the saw.

Highroamer, Not a worry about water here, we live on the edge of a mountain so drainage is great and this is Arizona, We don't have any water anyway!!

Jim, not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. As for the hole I figure if and when we leave I will just leave the table in the hole and do something new at wherever we settle.

Last edited by kevincaron; Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:22 am. Reason: Forgot something...
post #6 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Nice feature packed lift table, Kevin. You're gonna enjoy it a lot. Might even attract some new found riding friends!! Best always.
post #7 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

You are so right!!!

My brother said he is going to help install so he can get on the table first. The cute little sport biker up the street is interested also.

Looking like a side job is starting up!

post #8 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have three of these lifts Kevin. On all three I had to square up the clamp so it pinched the front tire evenly front to back. I had to slot the holes to get all three clamps square. This is important on a heavy bike.

Read the instructions before you unpack it & don't flip it over by your self. You need one person on each end so you don't tweak the table. All three of my lifts work very well.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Garage

[QUOTE=kevincaron]Dick, The lift table is this one..http://www.completehydraulic.com/lif...ycle-tcml.html

Thank you for all your questions Dick, that's why I came here and asked for help. Having never done this before I am hoping to get as much information and insights as i can before I even fire up the saw./QUOTE]

STOP! NO! DON'T DO IT
That type of lift in not designed for in-ground installation. Yes its your choice but why even go that route. Since the chuck is removable all you have left is a 7" above ground platform. I has rollers so it can be moved, you make it the parking spot for the bike in lowered position how is it going to be in the way or be stumbled on. Another suggestion would be home made catwalks for either side (2"X6" planks covered with 1"X3" short cut pieces) since these are of wood you can easily move them after table is raised for use. This gives you the best of both worlds mobility and practicability.
And if ever you have to do any work on the lift itself (hope not) service or change a part would not have to worry about pulling it out of a concrete box. Give it some thought before digging a hole in the garage. I don't think I could say it any clearer than Dick and the others. And I don't have a table.
ride safe
post #10 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

saddleman

I'm a big reader,grabbed a cup of Joe and sit and read. Got some help for sure. It seems a little jerky going up and down but I figure it should smooth out with weight on it and a little time.

Off to the house with chalk and tape measure in hand..

post #11 of 28 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Quote:
That is a great lift, I have a friend that has the exact model. Absolutely bullet proof (believe me, Hoss would have trashed it by now if it were otherwise)!

IF YOU MAKE THE HOLE: Beware that this lift needs a solid surface to rest on (cement). There are rollers that travel back and forth on the floor when going up and down, so you'll have to cut out the garage floor, dig an extra deep (by 4-6" inches beyond what the lift requires) hole, and make a "new slab" (with rebar, I'd suggest) for the lift to sit on in the cut out.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #12 of 28 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

hallzee

Oh yeah!!!! been talking with the concrete guy for the last month or so while waiting on the lift to get here. I need 7 inches to make it flush with the floor, he wants to going down 18 and adding a foot to all sides just to make sure. Lots of rebar to tie everything together again.

Still have to get out there and play with the tape and chalk to make sure where I want it will work.

Here are a few photos of the unpacking....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Didn't have the right fitting to hook it to air so no raised photo yet. The side extensions are still in the box....

post #13 of 28 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have considered doing that with mine, but it stores nicely under the truck with the wooden ramps I use to load the bike on it. I think you understand that basically you'll be building a box to set the lift into and it does need smooth concrete to operate on.

One thing you need to consider is side clearance. If the lift catches the original concrete edge on the way down, things will get ugly very fast. I found that out the hard way with a poorly placed work stool. (Almost had another stool when it happened, but that's another story.) I would suggest a couple of inches clearance on each side and a drop in cover for the edges of the hole when the lift is up. This will keep loose tools and parts from rolling into the hole.

Lastly, do you like to wash the garage floor often? This poses a potential problem if the slope isn't just right. Don't want that shiny new lift setting in a box full of water. Please post the "after" photos. Personally, I think it's a great idea if all the conditions are favorable.

post #14 of 28 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 1:23 am Thread Starter

Was thinking about some sort of skirt to go around the edge. Leave a small gap all the way around so nothing can catch. I am going to put the side extensions on and put the bike on it.
I will take the house air compressor down to the shop and pump it up with that one. Just to make sure everything works like I think it will. Then cut the floor..

post #15 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Well hell,

Finally got the chance to use the lift table at the house and the first thing I notice is my compressor won't put out enough air to lift the bike!!

Go buy a new compressor,,,,,,

Finally got it up and got the work done I want'ed to do.

Finally got my lights installed, they have been sitting on the bench for about 3 months now!!

I leave for Cape Cod in two weeks so I should get some use out of them on this ride.....

Decide to not cut the floor. wasn't that hard to get it up on the table and back off again. Table fits in the corner with some of the other stuff stacked on top so screw it. Leave the floor alone and just pull it out when needed...

post #16 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 8:55 pm

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Finally got my lift table..

Both bike on table looking good.
That set up looks sturdier that HF. Was there a reason for not using the CS.
I was completely thrown for a loop when I looked at the floor to see how you managed the in-ground install . . . . real smooth then I read the rest of your post
ride safe
post #17 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

I'm sorry,,, what's the "CS"?!?!

Have been waffling back and forth on cutting the floor. Now that I have lived with it set up in the garage and moved the empty table around, it's not that hard to move or get the bike on and off the table by myself.

Probably will only use the table a few times a year but my knees are just getting too old and beat up to be on the concrete anymore.....

post #18 of 28 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:18 am

Garage

Quote:
Well hell,
Dam that picture looks REAL familiar..

Brother from another mother?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sacramento-20120914-00001.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	38693  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #19 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Garage

Quote:
I'm sorry,,, what's the "CS"?!?!

Have been waffling back and forth on cutting the floor. Now that I have lived with it set up in the garage and moved the empty table around, it's not that hard to move or get the bike on and off the table by myself.

Probably will only use the table a few times a year but my knees are just getting too old and beat up to be on the concrete anymore.....
cs =center stand
I saw you had it well secured so I inquired about the center stand. I imagine it would give it a 3 point stance for better balance. But what do I know when I don't even have a table as yet
ride safe
post #20 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Oh duh!!

I didn't use the center stand because it would pull the front wheel back from the clamp. And the straps would try to pull it forward off the center stand.

Never had any bike on a table like this before so I was kind of playing it by ear.. Or the seat of my pants....

post #21 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Garage

Like that lift
But 18 wheeler, crane, forklift and superman no can do city residential street and side access drive no shipping/handling here. Might have to trailer it behind the LT.
ride safe
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

I hear ya... Had to pick it up at the terminal and off load it by hand at the house. Luckily I have a big trailer so at least I had a ramp to slide it down.

Now just get used to getting it on and off the table with just the wife for help...

post #23 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 9:35 am

Where you going on the "Cape"?

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 9:39 am Thread Starter

We have a beach house in Truro.

On the bay side off old county....

Going to be there from about the 24th to the 5th of July..

post #25 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 11:01 am

I always thought it would be handy to have a lift and I looked at a few, but every time I got close to pulling the trigger, I hesitated because of the limited times I work on the bike and the type of work I actually do. Basic fluids and little add on stuff.

What I do use is large sections of carpet that are easily stored on the floor ( keeps from tracking dirt into the house) and a few old boat cushions. When I do work on my bike, I stack up a few sections of carpet around the bike with newspaper below it and a big bag of cat litter stuff handy. I also have a short shop stool with wheels that easily scoots around when necessary.

Boy, a lift would be nice though from time to time!!!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #26 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

With labor costs at the dealers it doesn't take long to get your money back!!

post #27 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 9:49 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

I have had my electric Handi Lift through three bikes now. Doesn't really take up any extra garage room as I park the bike on it. I don't do all of my own work but what I do is much easier with a lift.

Just came in from putting the front rim back on the bike with a new tire mounted. Not only did I not have to get down on the garage floor, with the tire locked in the vice it was much easier torquing all the fasteners.

I'm sure I will have other bikes in the future, but the lift stays until I sell the last one.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #28 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Amen Jim!! Amen....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in