Ride to Jerome AZ from Tucson Oct 13, 2012 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Ride to Jerome AZ from Tucson Oct 13, 2012

KSU, Kick Stand Up, at 7AM this Sat, Oct13, at Bisbee Breakfast Club, 4131 W Ina Rd, Tucson, AZ.

Spend the night in Cottonwood AZ. Breakfast in Jerome at 7AM; ride to Sedona, up Oak Creek Canyon, down to Camp Verde to Payson for lunch; head back to Tucson after lunch.

Freewheelers Group ride

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Re: Ride to Jerome AZ from Tucson Oct 13, 2012

Isn't that like a day ride??

Just rode from Colorado Springs to Phoenix in 13 hours.....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaron
Isn't that like a day ride??

Just rode from Colorado Springs to Phoenix in 13 hours.....
That means you probable came through Santa Fe! If you're ever in the area, look me up, do a little riding, and get some eatin' done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
That means you probable came through Santa Fe! If you're ever in the area, look me up, do a little riding, and get some eatin' done!
We really need to slow down on our rides!!

Blew through your neck of the wood in about 10 minutes. When darling says "Lets go home!" that's all you can do.....

Just in too much of a hurry to get back to the critters and our own bed. Next on the list is to pick an area and spend a couple of weeks there.

Would love to see some of the art community and just hang in your town...

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

We left Tucson late, around 8:30. One member in this ride has a tank that is just over 2 gallons, She gets between 50 and 60 mpg. To be on the safe side the group hits a gas station around 90-100 miles.

If the speed lomit is 65 we travel at 70 mph. For speed limit we travel at 75 mph so that the trikes can keep pace and it allows the Burgman, if he is in the group, to keep pace until we go up hills. On the down slope or on flat runs the burgman catches up.

I think we covered just about every type of scenery we have in AZ by the end of the second day. From Jerome we headed up to Oak canyon, to the southern part of Flagsstaf where we headed down 17 to Camp Verde, over to Payson for lunch at the airport. After lunch we rode past Saguaro Lake (Who knew!! Water in AZ?!!), through Mesa, San Tan Valley, through Coolidge through Picacho onto 10 South back home.

I dropped my LT in Cottonwood at the Giant Gas station. I didn't notice that there was a slight downwards slope on my left because it was in a shadow. When she went down the slope was enough that the black wing wasn't long enough to support her, so she wound up with her rear wheel in the air. While the left mirror popped off, the black inner section, where the sprin and holes are thta the three ball type studs pop into, broke off.

The station had a small roll of "Red Green's Fix-All", silver colored duct tape, so I taped the mirror back on ad finished the day's ride.

Because a cool front rolled through AZ over the weekend the highest temp we hit was only in the upper 80s-lower 90s. Through the pine forrests of Oak Creek Canyon, aprox 7K above sea level, the near mid day temp sank to 60F.

I tried to load some pixs but each one is too large. If I switch OS, from Ubuntu to Windowz, i can resize and load some later.

Pixs of the ride are on the "FreeWheeler's" site, trip to Jerome:
http://www.meetup.com/TucsonFreewhee...ccess=uploaded

Bob

Oh. Another Eclectic group of riders is headed out to Silver City this comming weelend.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

On an up comming trip Rudy this group will be spending two nights in ABQ as they head to a restuarant that was used in a comedy about middle aged riders. I think the trip is in April?

I've been kicking around hitting Santa Fe instead of ABQ on the first night. If you don't have anything going on that weekend there isn't any reason why you can't ride with everyone.

Bob

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bob,,
You went though Jerome and didn't stop at the Asylum, I thought that was a required stop?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in