Southern CA, around Hemet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 1:22 am Thread Starter

Southern CA, around Hemet

I've been day dreaming for a while about taking a ride to CA from here in Tucson and noticed Hemet is near a couple of National Parks and lots of twistie roads.

While playing around with Google maps I easily came up with 2-3 days of just riding twisties in that area.

The roads I saw on Google look as if they would be hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of FUN?

Does anyone have experience riding back roads in that area? Joshua Tree National Park, Big Bear City, Route 79 and 76, S1 and S2.

When are the night time temps in the low 40s in that area? Are S! and S2 LT friendly?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 2:42 am
Gold Supporter

Garage
Re: Southern CA, around Hemet

They are all excellent choices. S2 is known locally as the glass elevator as it goes down so quick and the view is fantastic. It is very LT friendly. I've been known to go down, turn around and go back up. Rinse and repeat. This time of year the road gets lots of snowbird motor homes so just make sure you give yourself plenty of distance between you and blue hairs as you will catch them quickly.

You are so close you should throw in the 14 mile loop up and down Mt. Palomar. It is best ridden during the week. The squids own it on the weekends and that makes for dangerous riding.

Enjoy!

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

I scanned on S1 and S2 and discovered a place with cabins for rent, with a web site. On the site they have current pixs, showing snow.

After that I ran more scans on different spots and discovered more snow!

I ran into the same problem when I planed a 2 day ride here in AZ--snow and below freezing temps at night.

I'm guessing I'll have to wait one or two months?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage

Don't know where you are seeing snow? S2 can't be more than 3,500 to 4,000 before you head down into Borrego Springs. Don't know where the cabins are but if they are close to Julian you may have snow in spots.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 5:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is my backyard and ride these roads regularly. Very rare snow will be an issue except for Big Bear, Idyllwild, and occasionally Julian. A must ride road is the Palms to Pines Highway (CA 74) from Palm Desert. It's a little rough in parts but then all CA roads are getting rough through neglect by our State that would rather spend billions on useful ventures like a highspeed railroad that nobody will ride. Sorry for the negative comment. Let us know when you are coming this way. PM me if you need more info.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Lets see if this link opens a link to what I played around with riding from Hemet towards Tucson?

I've shared a map with you called Driving directions to Yuma AZ:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
210856868362377738808.0004b971c2540dcde36aa

And this link to for riding from Desert Hot Springs to San Bernadio

I've shared a map with you called Driving directions to Hemet, CA:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
210856868362377738808.0004b971f1a84dcd3930c

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #7 of 9 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

The highways mentioned above are popular for riders of all types, especially on the weekends. Watch out for California Highway Patrol officers on those roads, (again - especially on weekends).

On Sunday, 30 August 2009, I was on the Ortega Hwy and we had to stop for a CHP checkpoint. They made us show our licenses and specifically checked for the motorcycle endorsement. They also demanded to see our insurance and registration papers, as well as checking helmets. As we ate lunch at Hells Kitchen, we saw one flatbed after another go by the window, each loaded with 6-8 strapped down motorcycles. I wondered how the unfortunate riders got home that day.

I have been back many times, but have not seen the CHP checkpoint since then. However, the Palomar area was swarming with CHP officers on Saturday, 24 July 2010.

I suspect that the patrols and checkpoints are the most common in the summer, but you never know when a few might be hanging around.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:24 am

Garage

You might google "the Rock Store " and plan a ride a little north for some of Californias Best Moto-Friendly Rides

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2012, 1:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Watch out for California Highway Patrol officers on those roads.
Make that on all roads . . .

I'm noticing more CHP "enforcement zones" recently, even on my local city streets. Two to four bikes will sit near an intersection, usually on the sidewalk and thus hidden by fencing or shrubbery, and just pick off motorists all afternoon long.

Now I'm not saying that the drivers are necessarily innocent here, just that I'm seeing more areas specifically and systematically targeted.

And driving up the 101 from Monterey to Crescent City today, I saw a CHP on average of once every 50 miles. Some were parked in unobtrusive places, and some were running full radar as they cruised down the highway . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in