AZ 288 between Globe and Heber-Overgaard Paved? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

AZ 288 between Globe and Heber-Overgaard Paved?

Has anyone ridden this stretch of road? I'm looking for a Thanksgiving weekend ride, and that road looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it is paved, or rideable on the LT?

Thanks,

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:58 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: AZ 288 between Globe and Heber-Overgaard Paved?

A quick Google search shows THIS

With this info

The ride from Heber-Overgaard to Globe on Arizona Highway 288 is action packed. Over 100-miles of curvy tarmac winding through Sitegreaves & Tonto National Forests await motorcycle riders. But so do the Highway Patrol in Globe so ride with caution.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
A quick Google search shows THIS

With this info

The ride from Heber-Overgaard to Globe on Arizona Highway 288 is action packed. Over 100-miles of curvy tarmac winding through Sitegreaves & Tonto National Forests await motorcycle riders. But so do the Highway Patrol in Globe so ride with caution.

I did see that one, and it sounded good. However, there is also this: http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=s0288az

that says: "The road is primarily a dirt highway, with some paved sections, and is narrow and winding."

So, just looking for some clarification.

Thanks ,

Dale

Charles Bukowski

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I did see that one, and it sounded good. However, there is also this: http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=s0288az

that says: "The road is primarily a dirt highway, with some paved sections, and is narrow and winding."

So, just looking for some clarification.

Thanks ,

Dale
288 is an easy dirt road but I would not recommend it for an LT. 188 out of Globe which terminates at 87 is a nice paved road. It passes Roosevelt Lake and Tonto National Monument. Hope this helps.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
288 is an easy dirt road but I would not recommend it for an LT. 188 out of Globe which terminates at 87 is a nice paved road. It passes Roosevelt Lake and Tonto National Monument. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bruce,

Looked too good to be true, and not well known like other roads in AZ.

Dale

Charles Bukowski
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Yep, Bruce is correct. As you pull off of 260 going south to Young the road turns to dirt. I stays that way until you get to the Rock House on the east side of Roosevelt lake which is about 5 miles before you go over the Salt River. If you ride a GS model then it is a great ride.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Yep, Bruce is correct. As you pull off of 260 going south to Young the road turns to dirt. I stays that way until you get to the Rock House on the east side of Roosevelt lake which is about 5 miles before you go over the Salt River. If you ride a GS model then it is a great ride.

Thanks Guys,

I decided to make Thanksgiving a ride and hike to Sedona, maybe through Prescott and Jerome if weather permits. Heres a picture from the last time I made a winter trip to Sedona.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0984.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	33535  

Charles Bukowski
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 2:56 pm

nice. i might be heading that way for Thanksgiving. let me know if you want some company
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
Thanks Guys,

I decided to make Thanksgiving a ride and hike to Sedona, maybe through Prescott and Jerome if weather permits. Heres a picture from the last time I made a winter trip to Sedona.

Dale
Brrrr. Head south, young man!

I'm seriously considering Big Bend, with three - maybe four - nights "camping" at Lajitas for - get this - $111.00 PER NIGHT. (the deal expires in 2 days...) This rate beats the hotel's absolute best rate on a king room by $41.00 a night - even their "stay 2 get 1 night free" promo. Yeah, I've got connections.

Lajitas

Top 10 Gourmet Getaways
- MSNBC

Top 10 Guys' Getaways
- Sherman Travel

"Top 10 Most Scenic Drives in America"
- Reader's Digest

Between riding Big Bend, shooting skeet and playing golf, I can't imagine a better get away. The Cowboy Action Shoot sounds like great fun for $100:

Cowboy Action Shoot

Put your holster on and head for the Lajitas Cowboy Action Shoot, where you will have the opportunity to handle a single action Colt 45, the pistol that was infamous for maintaining law and order in the Old West. Learn how to fire the same short double barrel shotgun that stagecoach drivers used to fend off bandits and gangs that roamed the open badlands. Finish off with the .45 caliber Winchester model 94, the favored saddle gun of cowboys, horsemen, and lawmen.

Five different stations make up the old western town called Greasewood Flats. Each station has three unique action shoots with 5 rounds each for the Colt 45, double barrel shotgun and the Winchester. That's over 75 shots per shooter! You can compete for fastest time or most accurate. Barge through the bar doors with guns barreling, relive the iconic outhouse scene in Clint Eastwoods' Unforgiven and shoot from the steps of a hangman's noose.

Complete your Cowboy Action Shoot with a picnic, snack or dinner customized by our catering staff. Picnic site available for private rental. Bathroom facilities available at Five Stand course.

Price includes ammo, gun rental, ear plugs and one-on-one lesson with instructor that is with you at all times.

- and the ride there can be even *somewhat* interesting by going through New Mexico, spending a night at a cheapo hotel, then dropping south.Coming home I'll super slab it on I-10.

Who's in??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lajitas king.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	33558  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 14th, 2011 at 7:31 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in