Riders Cup Challenge - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Riders Cup Challenge

The AZBeemers are doing the RCC again this year. You do NOT have to be a member to participate.
Riders Cup Challenge II

We are almost ready to launch the second Riders Cup Challenge. I hope those of you who enjoyed last yearsí RCC will participate again this year, and hopefully we can get a few new riders too!

For this year, Iíve made a few changes based on rider input and lessons learned last year.
First, Iíve split the RCC into two classes. One class for street rides and one for dual sport rides. The two classes will have separate prizes, so the points earned in one class donít count toward an overall score. Riders can still participate in both classes, just the scoring will be separate.

Second, we will spread the prizes around more. Last year we had a few big winners, this year we will have several prize winners from each class.

Last year we tried to start off by emphasizing that this was not an all out points chase. The idea was to keep it fun and non-competitive. However, it soon became apparent that many riders liked the point chase, so we kind of let things develop as we went. In the end, we awarded a special award to our overall point champion, Back Road Bob, for his riding achievement. All other prizes were awarded to participants by drawing, as was the plan.

So, for this year we WILL have individual point champions for each class. And yes, that means a TROPHY for each class winner! (Dual sport and Street)

Now, to keep the non-competitive riders interested, we will still have the 3 tier prize level for the street class and 2 or 3 tier for the dual sport class, depending on participation. The prizes donated by our sponsors will be divided up within each class and awarded by drawing, just like last year. The only difference here will be more winners rather than just one big winner at each level.

More good newsÖ

If you participated last year, there will be a reduced entry fee, and you may use your same T-shirt from last year for your marker. (If you need a new shirt, they are available for purchase.)

Since we have about 20 shirts left from last year, we have decided to use those for new participants.

Riders Cup Challenge II entry fees:

Returning participants who plan to use last yearsí shirt as their marker:
To participate in either the street or dual sport class, entry fee is $10.
To participate in both classes, the entry fee is $15.

If you are new to the club and/or this event this year, the entry fee, including a T-shirt, is
$20 for either the street or dual sport class or
$25 for both classes
There is an additional $6 fee for mailing the shirt to you. Sorry, no local pickup.

Note: Fees collected go toward prizes. Any additional money collected will be donated to the AZBeemers club.

The Rides

The destinations to visit for RCC II are all new. There are no repeats from last year other than some sponsor stops.

The street rides are all accessible to any type of street legal motorcycle. Iíve tried to pick places with all paved access, but there may be some places that have some gravel to deal with. It is your responsibility to research each ride to make sure it is within your comfort zone. This year we have a few out of state destinations, but nothing too far from the AZ border. There are over 100 possible places to visit, and if you hit them all, a second list will be released to you. (You must hit all destinations and post your proof pictures before the second list will be available to you.) I anticipate things may get hot since there is a trophy to be won!

The dual sport rides cover a variety of terrain. Some will be easy gravel roads, some will not be so easy. Again, it is your responsibility to research each ride to make sure it is within your skill set to attempt. Due to natural forces, some roads that may have been in good shape a year ago may be in bad shape now. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO! I encourage you to chat with other members and participants about these rides. I have not been on most of them, which is why they are on the list!

Please note the classes are divided by ride type, not motorcycle type! If you own a dual sport bike and wish to participate only in the street class, no problem. If you own a street bike and wish to participate in the dual sport class, (Mudslide Miller and Flyguy405 for instance,) that is ok! If you own multiple bikes you can ride any bike to any destination as long as you are registered in that class!

Whether doing street or dual sport rides, please follow common safety practices! When taking your proof photos, be sure to park only in a safe spot away from traffic. If a particular destination presents difficulty for a photo stop, do the best you can while remaining safe and explain the situation in your posting. The judges will always be lenient in these situations!

One of our big controversies last year involved hauling bikes on a trailer part way. Some of us have bikes that are more dirt oriented, and would like to avoid long pavement stretches for various reasons. The decision was made to disallow hauling your bike part way. Some participants didnít like this decision, but I felt it was important for this to remain a riding event. This year we will keep the NO TRAILERING/HAULING rule in place. This challenge is meant for riding our bikes, so letís ride them. (One exception to the no trailer rule is if you ride your bike to a destination, but have a breakdown on the way back, you can get credit for the points earned before the breakdown.)

I have updated the RCC guidelines posting, so check that before you get started.

We will be updating the registration page very soon. Myself or Brian B will post up when it is ready to go. Upon registration your list will be sent via email, so be sure we have your current email address.

Please use the next couple of weeks to get your riding friends involved. They do not have to join AZBeemers to participate in the RCC. All bikes and riders are welcomed.

It was a lot of fun last year, and should be even better this time! I hope you will join the fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Re: Riders Cup Challenge

Registration for RCC II is now open!

You can register at the AZBeemer store here
http://www.freewebs.com/azairheads/azbstore.html
or by clicking the "STORE" button near the top of the AZBeemers forum pages
or choose the store link along the left column from the home page.

When you register, you will decide if you wish to participate in the "Street" rides, the "Dual Sport" rides, or both.

If you are new to the RCC this year, you will also need to buy a T-shirt on the registration page.

If you participated in the RCC last year, you may use your Tshirt from last year, or buy another one from the store page.

Online registration payment is via paypal, but you do not need a paypal acct to use that service.
I'll asked Rick to post up details for anyone wishing to pay by check or MO on this thread also.

The destination lists will be ready for emailing late this week. Be sure to check your email address used in paypal because that's the one I'll send the list(s) to.

You can start the rides as soon as you get your list. I'll have the proof photo thread ready this weekend for you fast starters!

Everyone ride safe and remember it is all about having fun!
Steve
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

This is a great excuse to get out of the house, log some miles, and go to some places here in AZ that you may not have been to yet. I really hope to see some of you on the score cards! I will definately be doing this and if anyone wants to do any of the rides together please let me know

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Yeah Foiler, I plan to do some rides with you on this years RCC.

We have over 110 possible locations in and around the state of AZ to visit and get your photo for points.

New this year will be TROPHIES for each class winner (street and dual sport). For those not so competitive (like me) we will have several motorcycle related prizes to give away such as free oil changes from Josiah at Dirtball Customs, gift cards from Victory BMW and some other prizes as well!

This is a great way to meet other riders and enjoy our state at your own pace.

I also want to stress that you do not need to be a member of azbeemers to participate, nor will there be any pressure to join the club. Just come out and ride!

We had a blast last year and I'm looking forward to getting started!
Cheers,
Steve

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Just to give you an idea of the kinds of places you can visit doing the Riders Cup Challenge, here are the places I hit on sunday, in no particular order. (450 mi loop.)

Strawberry Schoolhouse

Montezuma Castle

Dead Horse Ranch State Park

Watson Lake Park

Kirkland Junction Bar and Steakhouse

Peeples Valley Pioneer Cemetary

Wickenburg Massacre Marker

Vulture Mine

Even if you don't participate, you can watch where we are going here (No need to be a member to view or play!)
http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3406.0

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in