evap vests - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

evap vests

I am riding to Vegas this Friday and have ordered two of the evap vests. I am wondering if anyone has used these before and how well they work/ how often to re wet the vest. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Re: evap vests

I have not used the evap vests BUT..........
Last summer on a ride from Arkansas to Oregon and back I did use an evap neck wrap.
Was a big help.......I carried an extra water bottle and put the wrap in the bottle every morning, then took it out and put it on when the heat rose.....................................
Not like air conditioning but a very subtle cooling effect...a great relief.
I've heard some say that some manufacturers vests start to feel slimey after a while.....
I'll be interested in your evaluation.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 5:19 pm

They work great in low humidiity. Not so much when it's high. Be prepared to be wet. But. they cool you down pretty well. Worn under a vented jacket they last about 4 hours. We would just re-soak when we stopped for fuel.

post #4 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I've used two styles of evap vests.

The standard blue, zippered style dries out in a couple of hours at highway speeds.
The Miracool poncho style stays wet for a few days.

Stay safe.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #5 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I use Silver Eagle evap vest, and love it. Need to rewet about every 60-90 minutes. I also use a wet silk scarf around the neck - works well, and doubles as a handsome ascot in the evening, when I'm with the ladies...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Tried an evaporative vest and it did not work any better than poring cold water on my LD Comfort Wear top, LD Comfort Wear helmet liner and pre-soaking a Cooltie to go around my neck.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #7 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 6:23 pm

I have one, use it when it's over 100.

Keep a garbage bag with ice and water in your saddlebag, whenever it starts to feel dry, stop and dip it in the icewater (45 mins to an hour if it's REALLY hot).

Yeah, they feel a little "slimey" when they are wet, and don't worry if the first time or two that you hydrate it little "balls" pop out of it, those are the cooling elements and it's normal.

Wear it over a polyester shirt (cool-dry, under armor, etc.) or you'll have a wet t-shirt when you stop.

then again, you might want your female passenger to wear white cotton, never know.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Tried an evaporative vest and it did not work any better than poring cold water on my LD Comfort Wear top, LD Comfort Wear helmet liner and pre-soaking a Cooltie to go around my neck.
+1 for soaking an LDComfort shirt.

Well soaked, it lasts a couple hours underneath my "standard" RevIt Dragon jacket, which works the best and keeps me very comfortable in 100+ temperatures. Underneath my BMW "Venting Machine" jacket, it will last about an hour before needing a re-soak, due to the large volume of air flowing through it.

LDComfort tops and bottoms are great for all kinds of riding and all kinds of climates. They aren't cheap, but they are so worth the cost. The set I have now (long and short sleeve shirts, long and short underpants) have lasted four years with many Iron Butt Association rides, and still look new. Really.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Instructions for hot weather cooling: http://www.ldcomfort.com/productuse.htm
post #9 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Thumbs up Re: evap vests

We just rode to Phoenix from the North Rim and boy did our vests work great in 105 temps and 30+ mph side wind coming across the Marble Canyon area. They kept us alive and cool until we rolled in to Flagstaff. By that time the temperatures were down to 85 and the vests were almost dry. They get my vote as long as the humidity is low. In humid areas, they don't work as well.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #10 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

its supposed to be 111 here(Phoenix) and in Vegas and both places have very low humidity so I am thinking we should be good. I have a mesh jacket so sounds like I may need to wet mine a couple of times. Thank you for all of the input
post #11 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I use Silver Eagle evap vest, and love it. Need to rewet about every 60-90 minutes. I also use a wet silk scarf around the neck - works well, and doubles as a handsome ascot in the evening, when I'm with the ladies...
Now sir, you get my vote for most creative answer--when you need to step up your game you just go for the ascot! Brilliant!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #12 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 2:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Now sir, you get my vote for most creative answer--when you need to step up your game you just go for the ascot! Brilliant!
Haha! I liked Hallzee's answer too.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
its supposed to be 111 here(Phoenix) and in Vegas and both places have very low humidity so I am thinking we should be good. I have a mesh jacket so sounds like I may need to wet mine a couple of times. Thank you for all of the input
Mesh jackets are not a good choice on a long ride because you will dehydrate quicker which also leads to fatigue. Also keep in mind, mesh jackets are relatively ineffective when the ambient temperture exceeds body temp. You will be better served to wear a regular riding jacket and the cooling vest you have.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #14 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:51 am

Being from Minnesota, I've got my aerostich electric vest and cold weather gear, but not familiar with the evaporative vests. I get the concept, but curious as to where to research and buy? Silver, Blue, whatever... are you guys getting the stuff online, or is there someplace here in the valley that carries them?

Thanks!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #15 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

I ordered from here
http://www.allclimategear.com/
but the have some at Cyclee gear on cave creek road.
post #16 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

They have already arrived and boy do these things hold some water! I cant believe how much they weigh when wet. Going to give them a short test tomorrow after work.
post #17 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:17 am

Miracool poncho vest can be ordered
http://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_Po...t_p/hs1054.htm
or
http://www.amazon.com/MIRACOOL-COOLI...9407363&sr=8-1

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #18 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

soaked the vests last night and left em sit out overnight (85 when i got up this morning) and they will still damp! Cant wait to give these items a good test.
post #19 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

what a HUGE difference! I just wore a plain cotton t shirt so it is wet but I was definately A LOT cooler! cant wait to get out on the road!!
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2011, 4:58 pm

Looking forward to your review - Did you go with the standard or the deluxe?

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #21 of 24 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

well i have to say i love the vests. we went with the deluxe. I soaked them before we left, then again in Wickenburg and i wet mine again in Kingman (the wifes jacket is not mesh so it held longer). I absolutely SOAKED mine so my shirt and the top of my pants got wet but i was very comfortable all the way to Vegas. My wife was actually cold as it was dark when we rolled into town. I dont think we could have made it without these vests. My legs and my head were warm but i did not sweat at all the entire ride. It got so hot on the ride there that my disc player said "CD TEMP" and shut off and part of my dashboard warped from the heat, but i was ready to ride on!
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:48 am

I have one, and find them not so useful. I recently got a phase change vest and absolutely love the thing. It's not wet, it just stays at exactly 58 degrees for 3-4 hours. Recharge in anything that's colder than that, like fridge or freezer.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Just returned at 2am from a 3,000 mile week long ride through California, and while I don't have anything to compare the evap vest to (besides using nothing) I'm glad I picked one up prior to the trip. Yesterday was a 850 mile ride from Yosemite down through the hot (100) and boring central california (Fresno, Bakersfield) with a bit of cooler temps (80's) near LA, but then back up to the low 100's to high 90's from Palm Springs to the valley - the vest made it tolerable. I wore it under a perforated leather vanson jacket - not as much air passes through the jacket than a mesh jacket - so it seemed to last about 45 minutes.

Ran in temps from the low 40's along the northern calif coast and high elevations, to 105 across the desert. Mostly in the 60's through the twisties - gawd there are a lot of great roads out there!

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #24 of 24 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I'm calling BS on this one. I know you're married. Touche.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in