Los Angeles -Mesa AZ - Washington UT Ride in December 2010 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 26th, 2010, 9:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Los Angeles -Mesa AZ - Washington UT Ride in December 2010

My friend Bill (judgebill) who moved to Uruguay, is visiting LA in Dec and wants to do this trip like over 3-4 days in the weekend of Dec 10-13/14 2010. He will be riding his brand new R1200 GSA. I estimate the round trip will be approximately 1300 miles give or take a few with overnight stay in Mesa and Washington. I will be riding my LT and another friend will be on his HD Ultra Classic. Here is the route proposed..
http://goo.gl/maps/Q7rb

If any of you guys are interested to join in or have suggestions or want to join in on the way please let me know by email asap. The more the merrier.

Navin

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LosAngelesMan; Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:16 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Re: Los Angeles -Mesa AZ - Washington UT Ride in December 2010

a question. i'll admit to being paranoid. when the snow falls on you, what are you going to do? i have aerostitch 2-piece, but i never wore it yet because it looks funny. if i was cold, looking funny won't bother me. i think if it snows on me i will fall down, maybe break some bones. never rode in ice/snow. i really enjoy riding in the rain in heavy traffic. the total commitment turns me on. is ice/snow different? i'm serious. jp
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 26th, 2010, 11:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

You have a good valid point there but I forgot to mention that incase of snow/heavy rain we will not be riding and the same goes for other unsafe conditions. I would rather have a nice beverage/hot meal and watch a good movie nice and warm indoors.The weather forecast looks good so far but we will watch and see. Safety is first and foremost.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 12:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMan
My friend Bill (judgebill) who moved to Uruguay, is visiting LA in Dec and wants to do this trip like over 3-4 days in the weekend of Dec 10-13/14 2010. He will be riding his brand new R1200 GSA. I estimate the round trip will be approximately 1300 miles give or take a few with overnight stay in Mesa and Washington. I will be riding my LT and another friend will be on his HD Ultra Classic. Here is the route proposed..
http://goo.gl/maps/Q7rb

If any of you guys are interested to join in or have suggestions or want to join in on the way please let me know by email asap. The more the merrier.

Navin
Even if you ignore ice and snow issues, are you prepared for extreme cold at altitude?

That second leg from Mesa to Washington looks to be extremely cold. Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet, the average high in December is barely above 40 degrees F, and the average low is 15 F. Your map says that it will take over seven hours in the saddle plus stops. Temps could very well be below freezing at the start and end of the ride, and (if you're lucky) may get into the 40s during mid-day.

Do you truly understand the kind of gear you need to ride safely in those temperatures at an average speed of 55 mph for long periods of time? Do you have that gear? What about your friends?

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't attempt it without electrically heated gear, plus backup clothing sufficient to survive in temperatures well below freezing, in case something breaks (either the motorcycle or the gear). I would also carry a SPOT for emergencies.

Read up on hypothermia, and be sure you know how to recognize the symptoms.
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 6:32 am

Mesa to Kanab leg is not a winter ride. If you aren't riding in snow you will certainly be sliding on ice.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 8:47 am

+1 on the heated gear. It is a absolute must for the time of year and the area you are going through. If the weather permitted, going through Zion in SW Utah would be a nice detour, and not too far out of your way. Flagstaff is your biggest challenge at 7000' (they just had snow last week). The rule of thumb in Utah is if you stay south/below Cedar City you will stay out of the snow, but watch the weather reports like a hawk.

Hope it works out for you, and have a safe ride!
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:49 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you all of you guys for your comments and suggestions. These will be conveyed to Bill when I meet him next week. Ice and sleet certainly scares the hell out of me

We are fortunate that we have so many fellow riders here who are living close or in the areas we intend to visit or have done some part of the areas themselves. Please keep up the various comments and suggestions.

Safety is first so based on all your suggestions we may cancel this idea and plan a different route. The final decision is on Bill but I am not in a mood to risk anything. I just had a major motorcycle accident (hit by SUV on freeway) in July with a lot of damage and painful recovery..

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

So far I have stayed away from electric gear in the winter because I feel I need to carry back up gear in case I break down & have to walk a long distance. I figure if I need to carry it I might as well wear it. Also if you go down & get knocked out at least you won't freeze. Another thing is the other vehicles don't see you in the warm weather they don't even expect to see you at all in the winter. I look at all the extra bundling up as extra protection. When I ride up north in the winter it is daytime riding only if there is any snow on the side of the roads that is melting onto the roads during the day. Look for frost in the morning & wait at least for one hour after sunrise to ride if you see frost. Be extra careful of the shady spot's in the road they can have ice or frost even on warm days. If you do come across a potential slick spot ride straight clutch in & use no brakes. You need to coast across with no power,no steering & no brakes.

I have rode year round in Michigan on ice & snow and never went down. But I was on a much lighter bike than my LT. I plan on riding to Michigan for Christmas next month & it will depend on the daylight riding conditions if I go or not. I can't muscle a heavy bike around on slick roads.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:30 pm

I grew up in Mesa and moved to Utah 28 years ago. I have taken the Kanab-Jacobs Lake-Flagstaff-Mesa route many times at different times of the year. The whole section can be quite nasty in the winter, even in a four wheel drive. You will not have cell service for the majority of the ride between Flagstaff and Kanab and the whole section by Marble Canyon will have very little traffic in December if you have a problem. Take the trip in the summer and visit the Navajo bridge and watch the condors, North rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zions and the rest of the Parks in southern Utah. Gorgeous country in the summer, unforgiving in the winter. Flagstaff is 7000 ft and Jacobs Lake is 7900 ft.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 9:36 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

You might forward the link to this thread to your friend so that he can make an informed decision and hopefully come up with an alternate route ahead of time. This might allow you guys to make the most of the limited time available for this ride.

Have fun and stay safe.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
You might forward the link to this thread to your friend so that he can make an informed decision and hopefully come up with an alternate route ahead of time. This might allow you guys to make the most of the limited time available for this ride.

Have fun and stay safe.

Thank you Jim, Bill is following this thread since it has been posted. You don't live very far from me. Drop me a line or message if in the area and we can share a cup of coffee. It's a beautiful nice sunny day here today.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 9:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re:Mesa AZ - Washington UT Ride in December'10 Cancelled

Bill (Judgebill) has cancelled this ride.

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Mesa AZ - Washington UT Ride in December'10 Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMan
Bill (Judgebill) has cancelled this ride.
Sad news, but a sensible decision, IMHO. I guess when you have your heart set on a certain ride, it's hard to find an interesting one to replace it.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 10:43 am

There are many more destinations that are suitable with the Southwest weather...
Pretty much all of SOCAL, Central California Coast, and maybe NORCAL (just watch the weather report). Just stay at lower elevations.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in