? about renting and riding GrandCanyon area in Aug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

? about renting and riding GrandCanyon area in Aug

We have reason to be in Phoenix, AZ in late August.
I'm thinking about renting a HD and spending a few days riding a loop around the Grand Canyon. We rode the area many years ago (we were younger) on a BMW R90/6 in July. Hot!

Found these folks on the net:
http://www.buddystubbshd.com/customp...=rentals_rates

Any opinions or experience with them? I've never ridden a HD so I thought this might be a chance.

Probably go for an Electra Glide, we'll be two up and she's used to the LT.
Rent a bike in Phoenix, and spend about three days riding around the Canyon.

Any comments or suggestions? Roads to take, places to stay, places to see, places to eat?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: ? about renting and riding GrandCanyon area in Aug

I have not rented nor purchased an HD from Buddy Stubbs, but he has been in Phoenix for about 40 yrs and has a good reputation. During that time of year you will most likely run into daily scattered thunderstorms in the mountains, Flagstaff and on both sides of the Canyon. The Mogollon Rim and mountains are the place to be as the temps should be in the 70's and 80's but can be as high as 97 in some areas, like Prescott. You can ride up (early) from Phx to Wickenburg and take 89 to Prescott, lots of twisties and Prescott is about 5500 ft. Then over 89 Alternate to Jerome, again lots of twisties and sight seeing in Jerome, an old mining town with lots of old style buildings. That drops down to Sedona and you can take 89A up out of Oak creek to Flagstaff. You can also go N. on 87 to Payson and then to Happy Jack then N. on Lake Mary Rd. where the altitude is near 9000 ft. This will get you started looking at the map, if you have any questions ping me and I can extrapolate more routes and information.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Hi Rob,
Thanks for this. I'm going to put your suggestions to mapping software and see what the time line looks like.
I appreciate your reply.
Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I have not rented nor purchased an HD from Buddy Stubbs, but he has been in Phoenix for about 40 yrs and has a good reputation. During that time of year you will most likely run into daily scattered thunderstorms in the mountains, Flagstaff and on both sides of the Canyon. The Mogollon Rim and mountains are the place to be as the temps should be in the 70's and 80's but can be as high as 97 in some areas, like Prescott. You can ride up (early) from Phx to Wickenburg and take 89 to Prescott, lots of twisties and Prescott is about 5500 ft. Then over 89 Alternate to Jerome, again lots of twisties and sight seeing in Jerome, an old mining town with lots of old style buildings. That drops down to Sedona and you can take 89A up out of Oak creek to Flagstaff. You can also go N. on 87 to Payson and then to Happy Jack then N. on Lake Mary Rd. where the altitude is near 9000 ft. This will get you started looking at the map, if you have any questions ping me and I can extrapolate more routes and information.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 8:29 am

If you aren't set on a HD, try AZ Ride http://www.azride.com/ in Scottsdale for BMWs Gold Wings, etc. Nice, competent people. Also, while in Arizona, ride the White MTs in eastern AZ (Rt 191 is one of the best extended twistie rides is USA - Clifton to Alpine). Also, absolutely visit Monument Valley and take the guided tour which goes way beyond the public roads, and Canyon de Chelly in NE AZ. Prescott>Jerome>Sedona area is interesting too.

We went in October 100 degrees + in Phoenix area 75-80 elsewhere.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
We have reason to be in Phoenix, AZ in late August.
I'm thinking about renting a HD and spending a few days riding a loop around the Grand Canyon. We rode the area many years ago (we were younger) on a BMW R90/6 in July. Hot!

Found these folks on the net:
http://www.buddystubbshd.com/customp...=rentals_rates

Any opinions or experience with them? I've never ridden a HD so I thought this might be a chance.

Probably go for an Electra Glide, we'll be two up and she's used to the LT.
Rent a bike in Phoenix, and spend about three days riding around the Canyon.

Any comments or suggestions? Roads to take, places to stay, places to see, places to eat?

Thanks!
For the canyon visit, I prefer to enter from the east from Cameron on 89. The Cameron Trading Post is a nice place to stay if you that area fits your agenda. From there you are on the way to Monument Valley, as well as Glenn Canyon Dam. The entrance is usually less crowded. I have a love/hate relationship with the Desert View Tower, near that entrance. I hiked up Tanner Trail and the tower is in view the entire hike from the river, staring down at you like something from the Lord of the Rings, looking oh so close, yet so far away.

Dale White

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied to my query.
We have a GL1800 reserved from AZride. com (MCTours LLC).

Based on your suggestions and a couple of websites suggesting MC roads, I have put together the attached MS Streets n' Trips route.

We'll pick up the bike Sat PM and have Sunday, Monday, and Tues with the bike due back on Tues at 5PM.

It'll be my first time on a GL1800, seemed like a good chance to try one out, but it's gonna slow us down I know. I'll cut something out of the planned route if we can't keep the time line.

Now thinking about handling the heat..... I'm thinking about picking up a CamelBack. I have vented summer riding gear, but nothing like the mesh gear I've seen the southern riders wear. So with our AGATT philosophy, we'll be challanged to mange the heat. I figure lots of cold fluids, and keep the zippers open as much as possible. (close the strategic ones when we stop at diners. )

I am second guessing my choice of the Honda GL, thinking a little more wind exposure might have made sense, but we'll stick with it and see how it goes.

Any suggestions, (other than buying a whole new Joe Rocket mesh outfit?)

Thanks to all, looking forward to the trip.

(We did ride through the area in July, 1982 on a R90/6, visited the north rim, etc. I remember being on US95 between Tonopah, Nevada and Las Vegas with Death Valley on our right, and it was hot; we endured, but we were younger then. )
Attached Files
File Type: est GrandCanyon.est (200.0 KB, 45 views)
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 4:56 am

Best way to manage AZ heat is to get out of it. From Scottsdale head east to White Mts. Or north to Prescott,Falagstaff, sedona. Gain altitude. I rode in Cycleport jacket and pant (not mesh) and it was reasonably comfortable up to about 90. Those cooling gizmos (I hear) are helpful too

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #8 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 7:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks Gents,

Some thoughtful posts and private messages have given me good info and ideas. Yes, we'll be spending most of our time in the higher altitudes. Lots of water, a CamelBack, wet shirt under the riding gear.

Thanks
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:52 am

A Camelbak was one of my best investments. The low humidity out here, especially in the heat, means you're losing fluid faster than you really realize. With a Camelbak you can be sipping the entire trip and stay hydrated.

Have fun while you're out here!

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The BMW dealer in Scottsdale is offering a rent one day get two days free through EagleRider of Scottsdale BMW.

http://www.goaz.com/rentals.php

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 6:00 pm

While late to the discussion - just to confirm what has been said. Before I moved to AZ from MN 3 years ago, I rented an RT from the folks at AZRide.com - nice people, small shop, personalized service, and the bike was in perfect condition. Good choice.

I bought my '09 LT from the guys at GoAZ. This dealership (along with another) is owned by the same guy who owns GoDaddy.com. They have been good to deal with.

I also agree with what Rob Asay said with regard to the routes and the weather.

It will be a great ride/trip for you!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #12 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, Gents.

Departing the Deep South of Vermont at Zero Dark Thirty.
Picking up a GL1800 from AZride.com and riding Sun, Mon, Tues.
Staying at least one night at the Cameron Trading Post, thanks for that suggestion.

Now..... would you guys turn down the Arizona heat a little?
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:25 pm

A lot has been mentioned about the heat during your late August visit and I don't know if you are camping or not, but when I camped at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid September one year our water was frozen when we woke up. You might want to pack some warm clothes too.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:45 am

Lightbulb Re: ? about renting and riding GrandCanyon area in Aug

I typically ride Dallas-L.A. several times a year and stop in and around Phoenix, where my sister lives. H O T !

Camelbak for sure. Also be sure to drink a litre of water or sports drink in the morning so you stay ahead of the dehydration curve. I take a few gulps every fifteen minutes to stay hydrated.

Mesh gear is great. I wear a long sleeve tee and jeans under. It slows down the sweat evaporation a bit and keeps the cooling even. Also cuts down on sunburn through the mesh.

As uncomfortable as it can be, remember that sweat is your friend. If it is HOT outside and you stop sweating, it is time to seek shelter from the heat and to drink cool fluids.

I have an LT and a Harley, plus I have spent time on Gold Wings. Even if you try to rent a model as close to your own bike as possible (LT-UltraClassic/ElectroGlide-GoldWing) you are still likely to have quite an adjustment period as you transition between models, no matter your riding experience.

Of course, I may be wrong... I often am.

Safe travels... Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Good ride - Thanks!

We're still in PHX, heading for the airport soon....

The biike: Good ride last three days. The folks at AZRide.com were great. We rented a 2008 GL1800, never having ridden one before I wanted to try it. Liked it better than I thought I would but I'm not selling the LT I could do a comparison, but that's been done many times before and I'd have little to add. I like some things on the Wing better than the LT but overall the LT is a better bike for me. The LT just handles better, hands down; but the Wing was better than I expected. I expected that with the reports of the Wing motor and the extra 500ccs that the Wing would be a hands down out performer climbing hills and two-up passing; now I don't think there's that big a difference.

The route: we had a route all planned out based on suggestions from you folks here on the board. Monica at AZRide said that if we weren't committed to seeing the big canyon we'd excape the heat better by heading up to the Greer/Springerville area. So we took rte 60 out of PHX up to Carrizo, detoured over to Ft. Apache, and the continued on up to the Petrifed Forest NP. Then back to Springerville for the first night. Second day we rode down to Alpine, then took 180 over to NM and then 78 back to AZ. North up 191 (old 666) to Alpine. When we got to Alpine we gassed up, got a drink and a snack, and turned around and did that loop in the opposite direction. Quite a motorcycle road! Back to Springerville for the second night on the road. Day three was the return to PHX via rte 260 west and then south on 87. We got back to PHX around noon, with the temps just hitting 100, arriving before the afternoon heat really got started.

Thanks again for all the suggestions on dealing with the heat and route suggestions, in the end we had a great ride.
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:34 am

I've done that route! (Although as a couple different rides.) Really a good overview of that part of the state. Glad you had a good time and a good visit. Come back and see us again.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in