BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   South West (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/south-west/)
-   -   CHP motorcycles now (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/south-west/54690-chp-motorcycles-now.html)

dshealey May 28th, 2010 7:39 am

CHP motorcycles now

Since I moved out of SoCal to TN 3 years ago, I have not been able to find out how the CHP motorcycle contract negotiations went after the problems in 2005.

Searched the Web, but cannot find out what they are riding now. I know HD was trying, and Honda was in the mix, but there seems to be nothing on the web regarding the current bike contract.

Did BMW fall out?

zippy_gg May 28th, 2010 10:22 am

Re: CHP motorcycles now

David, not sure a bout the contract outcome but all we see now on the freeway are RT-Ps.

Ted May 28th, 2010 11:18 am

Hi David - I have recently seen LAPD on new Harleys, at the Hollywood Bowl for traffic control, and on the 10 Fwy near downtown LA. They don't look as happy at the officers on RTs! Not sure if they are still buying RTs.

Ted Shred May 28th, 2010 11:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshealey
Since I moved out of SoCal to TN 3 years ago, I have not been able to find out how the CHP motorcycle contract negotiations went after the problems in 2005.

Searched the Web, but cannot find out what they are riding now. I know HD was trying, and Honda was in the mix, but there seems to be nothing on the web regarding the current bike contract.

Did BMW fall out?

CHP is riding 1200RTP's. They have a few 1150's but they're almost gone. The contract just got re-bid again so the political BS will start all over again. Last I heard an out of state dealer was trying to bid Kawi's. It will be a mess for sure.

glenn May 28th, 2010 12:08 pm

this is what a friend sent me about kawasaki

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Veh...lice-Bike.aspx

Chipper May 28th, 2010 12:11 pm

Ted, I heard that Kawa did win the bid, I will email you what I have. I couldn't attach it here for some unknown reason.
Bill

Ted Shred May 28th, 2010 1:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper
Ted, I heard that Kawa did win the bid, I will email you what I have. I couldn't attach it here for some unknown reason.
Bill

I've seen it. They may have won the bid with DGS but they'll never get past the review and the CHP Academy.

billd987 May 28th, 2010 10:07 pm

A good friend of mine who is a CHP officer says that the officers swear by the Beemers. So much so that many of them buy them as their personal bikes. He said that Harley got all bent out shape because the Chippers passed on them on a past bid even though Harley's price was competitive. It's third hand info so it may not be totally accurate, but interesting nonetheless. If the CHP wanted a bike that felt like you were riding a farm implement, no doubt the Harley would be the perfect bike for them.

dshealey Jul 30th, 2010 9:30 pm

Don't know where this person got his information, but according to this web site California issued the contract for Kawasaki C14's in June.
Scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/CHPcycle.htm

gary3150 Apr 9th, 2013 1:13 pm

Kawasaki quit building "Police" motorcycles again in 2012 because of mechanical problems.
Harley Davidson won the new bid in 2013 for 350 motors.

shoswell Apr 9th, 2013 3:22 pm

My two cents now...

Kaw got the nod, and last I saw (testing at the CHP academy in West SAC) they were all the glow with anticipation. I've seen a few here and there, but nothing "on mass"...

Word was the maintenance on the BMW was the issue. (Tell us something we don't know). In addition the Stealer in ID (?) won the bid (BMW) but could not produce the goods and they re-bid the contract

meese Apr 9th, 2013 3:28 pm

The local LEOs I've talked to said the issue was that so much of the maintenance had to be done at the dealer. It was less of a cost issue, and more of the hassle to constantly transport the bikes back and forth for service.

There were also some issues with the single-pltae dry clutches . . .

They were looking at the Honda ST13 as a reasonable alternative, mostly because the regular maintenance could be done in the standard LEO garage.

I have seen a few Kawasaki C14 Patrol bikes, but not too many.