Garage
IBR Talk in San Diego

Saturday, March 13th, 2010
7:30 p.m.

San Diego BMW Motorcycles
5673 Kearny Villa Road
San Diego, California 92123
858-560-BIKE (2453)

The Iron Butt Association is a group of loose-knit riders dedicated to safe long-distance motorcycling. Entry into the club is obtained by documenting long-distance riding challenges, such as 1,000 miles in under 24 hours, or Coast-to-Coast in under 50 hours. Every two years the IBA hosts their premier event, the Iron Butt Rally. Billed as "11,000 miles in 11 days," this Rally tests the mettle of selected riders by sending them all over the US and Canada on a giant two-wheeled scavenger hunt. Although the Iron Butt Association has over 40,000 members, barely 400 riders have successfully finished an Iron Butt Rally. In fact, more people have gone into space than have completed an IBR.

Ken Meese has been riding ever since he snuck his parents' 125cc bike out of the garage as a teenager. He has logged several hundred thousand miles on BMWs and has ridden in Asia, Europe, and North America. Ken has ridden numerous Long Distance Rallies and Iron Butt certificate rides that have covered nearly every US state and most Canadian Provinces. 2009 was his first Iron Butt Rally, but definitely not his last.

This evening will be full of road tales, travails, and triumphs as Ken shares his experiences of competing in the ultimate motorcycle endurance Rally. In addition, Ken's Rally-prepped bike will be on hand so you can see just what it takes to survive on a BMW for 11 days and 11,000 miles.

Please RSVP to [email protected] and join us at San Diego BMW Motorcycles for true tales of a great American motorcycle adventure!!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 1:03 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: IBR Talk in San Diego

An Introduction to Rallying
Friday, March 12, 2010
7:00 p.m.

San Diego BMW Motorcycles
5673 Kearny Villa Road
San Diego, California 92123
858-560-BIKE (2453)

Routing 101 – An introduction to basic routing for motorcycle rallying. No prerequisites or prior rally experience is required. Intended for the motorcyclist pursuing a half-day bonus-hunting rallies such as the LowCal 250, or any similar event offering multiple solutions. There will be an emphasis on safety in this course.

The theme of the course is "Constraints, Efficiencies & Contingencies"

Some highlights:

• The Rally Packet
• Basic Concepts
• Routing Tools
• Route Strategies (Rule of Thirds/Splitting the Day/Zig-zag Return)
• Stop Management (how to lose a rally at 0-5MPH)
• Implementing Contingencies

A detailed outline will be supplied. No special equipment is required and no specific GPS’s or mapping software will be covered in the course, but you may bring whatever tools you like to complete the practical exercise.

Craig Chaddock, the primary instructor, is the rallymaster for the LowCal 250 Rally in San Diego County.

Please RVSP to [email protected]. There is no cost but we need a headcount for materials and would like to have your email to send out a reminder for the date.

More info on the LowCal 250: http://www.thumbwave.com/lowcal250/

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 6:46 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Awesome Ken. Great that you can share the wisdom gained from all the miles on the road and the preparation it takes to do the IBR.

Nice hat! You make the HDDC folks proud.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 7:22 am

Too bad I no longer live in San Diego!

Way to go Ken, wish I could be there.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Way to go Ken!
Wish I could be there...Hell...I wish I could be anywhere...but here in Minnesota!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Now I can say I know someone famous besides Mel Gibson

(We bumped into him in Santa Monica last saturday).

Good job Ken!! Circlin' the world a mile at a time...
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Just found out I won't be able to attend on Saturday to hear Ken. Disappointed, but it will be great presentation I'm sure. I am able to attend the Intro to Rallying tonight. Just RSVP'd. Hope to meet some of you there.

Thanks,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 7:57 pm

It was a great talk. About 40 or 50 people showed up and were held at rapt attention by Ken's stories and photos. They asked many good questions, and the event didn't end until after 9:30. If it hadn't been so late, I think people would have been delighted to stay longer and hear more from Ken...

They announced that Ken is going to be the Rallymaster for the LowCal 250. http://www.thumbwave.com/lowcal250/index.htm
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 9:43 am

Wish I could make it to the Rallymaster but 7am is too early

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in