Long Beach Motorcycle show & Brakfast - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 6:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down Long Beach Motorcycle show & Brakfast

I'm thinking of going to the Long Beach Motorcycle show this weekend. Anyone interested in meeting somewhere in Long Beach Saturday morning for breakfast? A group of us got together last year and enjoyed a meal and fellowship before the show. Unlike the other regional boards we don't get together as much as we should. Work and SoCal traffic patterns tend to get in the way.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm

Re: Long Beach Motorcycle show & Brakfast

..sound great. I'm in
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 8:04 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Since I live close, I am going Friday nite. Anyone else planning on the early show?

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I'd thought about going on Friday (gotta love being self-employed ), but wouldn't mind meeting folks for breakfast and being social about it all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:01 am

I was at last year's breakfast and a good time was had by all. We had some nice guests from Germany join us, too.

I would prefer it if we could meet at an earlier time so that we can arrive at the show just before it opens at 9:30.

BTW, I thought about heading out to Brown BMW for their weekly breakfast at 7:00 AM in Pomona. I called yesterday morning to ask whether the show might change their usual plans, but they didn't know. They said that they would post it on their website. This morning, I found a Sunday breakfast ride on their calendar, but they don't say whether the usual Saturday breakfast is on or off.
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:28 am

P.S. Here are some photos I took at last year's breakfast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060019.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	25478   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060020.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	25479   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060021.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	25480   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060022.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	25481  
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

I just got a reply from Dave Brown. The Brown Motor Works people will be having their usual breakfast in Pomona at 7:00 AM.

Problems:
1. It means getting up very early, especially if you live in Oxnard or La Quinta
2. Pomona is not near Long Beach. (Ken would treat it as a two bonus rally.)
3. It means that breakfast will be over with time to kill before the motorcycle show opens. (Google says 45-50 minutes between Brown and Long Beach.

I still would like an earlier breakfast than last year, but a Long Beach area location is fine with me.

Is 8:30 okay?

Cheers,

XMR
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 4:26 pm

Hey Doug, is your bride going?
Ken, I could bring your award from CCR.
Where is breakfast in Long Beach?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 6:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Open to suggestions on where to meet for breakfast. Does anybody recall the name of the place we ate at last year? Meeting before 9:00AM will a little tough for me. Can make by 9 at the earliest. 5:00AM wake up calls are tough @ my age and my good friend Giles doesn't like to get up too early.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #10 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Open to suggestions on where to meet for breakfast. Does anybody recall the name of the place we ate at last year? Meeting before 9:00AM will a little tough for me. Can make by 9 at the earliest. 5:00AM wake up calls are tough @ my age and my good friend Giles doesn't like to get up too early.
We met at Schooner or Later.

9:00 works for me.

This morning, I looked for other potential locations for breakfast and found:
La Creperie Cafe (too fancy?)
Omelette Inn (too small?)

I have not been to either one. Suggestions, Jim?
post #11 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:34 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
We met at Schooner or Later.

9:00 works for me.

This morning, I looked for other potential locations for breakfast and found:
La Creperie Cafe (too fancy?)
Omelette Inn (too small?)

I have not been to either one. Suggestions, Jim?
I haven't been to either of those places. If you don't want to go back to Schooner or Later there is another place just down the road a bit from there.

http://riversendcafe.com/

Seating inside or out in the patio and plenty of room for a group. My wife and I have ate there a number of times.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #12 of 28 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm

It was a lot of fun last year, I don't often get out to meet folks as much as I'd like to. I'm the guy in the 3rd of 4 pics provided by XMR, in the blue t-shirt on the left facing the camera for reference.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving for phoenix this weekend to do all my followup doc's appts since the wife and I totaled my 02 LT coming back from MI on Oct 20th, about a mile east of pietown, NM. Doing about 70, hit an oil spot i think, just over a hill, wet, on top of a 30' repair patch..doh! Well, there goes 265k accident free miles, over 200k on the two beemers, the 02 LT had 135k miles when totaled. I blame the wife, her end slid out first. She de-biked on the first fishtail, I think that is why she only had (bad) bruises. I rode that horse to the end and it rodeo'ed me into the pavement hard.

I got a shoulder fracture, Type 3 ac separation, 3 broken ribs in back, left thumb screwed up a bit, took about an hour to get my sense back completely after being knocked out for a few min's. Lots of fun, never broke a bone in my life! That was one violent get off. I still can't tie my shoes with my right hand but it is getting better each day. Looks like another couple months before I'm on my 06 K1200S, the one I rode to see ya'll last year.

So I'll have to skip the show this year but I would highly recommend anyone in the area make it there. I work in HB and we go to that restaurant all the time and you can't beat the company (now that I won't be there, arharh). Its a nice show too and I've been to a few.

Note, DO NOT sit under the tall palm trees!!! We witnessed the most horrible, the most gruesome, the most...awe never mind, just suffice it to say that was the biggest heron I've ever seen fly out of that palm tree afterwords Those poor souls sitting at the 3 tables there...
post #13 of 28 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:08 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Hi George,

I am glad you are healing up nicely. Might I ask what happened to the '02 LT. Did the insurance company take it away.

There are a lot of folk riding into LB for the show from Las Vegas. It would be fun to meet up with your group for breakfast. Please let me know were you decide to eat.
We will be in LB Friday night and will need food on Saturday before the show open at 10:00

Thanks
Jeff

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Last edited by tvguy; Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:15 am.
post #14 of 28 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:55 am
IBR# 366

Garage

George, sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. Sucks about the bike, too.

Gilles, yeah, I suppose you're tired of carrying that thing around since CCR.

One thought for those coming from out-of-town (or out-of-state), maybe we could do a lunch thing afterwards as well? That's a little harder to schedule based on how much time different folks spend wandering around and taking pics of bikes (and bike models ), but it might save y'all from getting on the road at 6 a.m. (or 3 a.m. ).

Thoughts?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 28 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:02 am

Thanks Ken, no worries, I'm alive!

I still have the k12s so i'm not out of bikes yet at least.

Jeff, the bike was totaled. I think Liberty really wanted me to take it instead of doing the total thingy, which I would under different circumstances but, ya, they have it. I'm doing the paperwork now. Really, there wasn't much left of it, what a mess. I have a couple pics if interested. I think it took a couple tumbles when we zipped off the pavement into the shoulder/dirt/bush, i'm glad it didn't land on me.

ya'll have fun!
post #16 of 28 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Ken makes a good point about riders who live further away. How about this? Those interested can meet for breakfast at the Schooner or Later around 10 - 10:30 for breakfast. Some can eat and run and get to the show while others can hang around for the lunch guys to show around 11:30. This way Giles won't have to get up too early and we all know he hates that.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #17 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 9:19 am

Quote:
Ken makes a good point about riders who live further away. How about this? Those interested can meet for breakfast at the Schooner or Later around 10 - 10:30 for breakfast. Some can eat and run and get to the show while others can hang around for the lunch guys to show around 11:30. This way Giles won't have to get up too early and we all know he hates that.
Doug, you have no idea how much I appreciate your concerns for my beauty slep!
We'll see you at Schooner at the crack of dawn, which in my book is around 10:00am on the weekend!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #18 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 11:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
We'll see you at Schooner at the crack of dawn, which in my book is around 10:00am on the weekend!
I don't have any trouble with morning, it's just the single-digit hours that bother me.

See y'all there.

Schooner or Later
241 N Marina Drive
Long Beach CA 90803
(562) 430-3495

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like we almost got a forum @ Schooner or Later around 10:00AM Saturday Tom Becker, his bride and I (with my bride if she is feeling better) will ride in from the desert. Giles & the lovely Kathy will be there as well. Who else? If you are not there then you won't be able to help with the decision making process on solving our countries economic problems. Hopefully, Yair is still coming and we need Ken Meese to provide us with adult leadership.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #20 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Looks like we almost got a forum @ Schooner or Later around 10:00AM Saturday Tom Becker, his bride and I (with my bride if she is feeling better) will ride in from the desert. Giles & the lovely Kathy will be there as well. Who else? If you are not there then you won't be able to help with the decision making process on solving our countries economic problems. Hopefully, Yair is still coming and we need Ken Meese to provide us with adult leadership.
With sincere regrets, I have decided to opt out this year. I would like to get an earlier start at the show. Have a great time and look for me at the show. Cheers, XMR

P.S. If you look carefully, you may notice that the last sentence in Doug's post has a couple of oxymorons. ( Ducking for cover ... ... ... ... now! )
post #21 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 7:49 pm

I already bought our tickets online se we'll be able to just waltz in without waiting in line at the box office.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #22 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 8:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

For anyone who hasn't gotten tickets yet, I have a few $3 discount postcards that can be used either online or at the box office. For online purchases, click here and in the Promotional Code box enter AlexHarper with no spaces. That brings your one-day ticket to $11.50 with fees and no waiting in the ticket line at the show. Or you could take one of the postcards to the main box office on Saturday and pay $12.00 total, plus however long the line is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

The online thing is the way to go. The ticket line was really long tonight, but the online folks got right in.

BTW, the 1200 Multistrada is there.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #24 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 4:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Sorry guys, family stuff that was scheduled for later has come forward.

Have fun, y'all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Sorry guys, family stuff that was scheduled for later has come forward.

Have fun, y'all.
It looks like I have an award for sale.. cheap!
Sorry Ken, we're gonna miss you.
So who is in charge of the adult supervision now???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #26 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 1:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage

So, how was the show?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
So, how was the show?
I had a great time at the show, but didn't see any riders that I know, and none of the group came up to me. I saw a lot of vendors that I knew, and it was good to reacquaint myself with them and their products.

I shared the 7:00 AM breakfast with the Bob and Dave Brown and Leighton Davis in Pomona, and got to the show just in time for the show to open. The crowds were light at first, but got thick fairly quickly. By the end of the day (5:00 PM) they were sparse. (My estimate: The crowd was thicker than last year at mid-day, but overall attendance is down slightly.)

The number of independent vendors was down. Many of the local dealers opted out this year, but they were replaced by more insurance companies and people selling various track day packages. Progressive Insurance was the big sponsor, and the images of their spokeswoman in the all white (lab coat?) were everywhere. I bet she has never put a hand on the handlebar.

I attended four seminars. (Bluetooth, Helmets, Advanced Riding, and Long Distance Touring). The talks were okay, but too short at 20 minutes each. The speakers were good. Bruce Porter of Arai and Lee Parks were especially good.

I didn't spend much time at the major manufacturer's booths, other than BMW. I looked at the Concours (not impressed) and the new Honda VFR 1200 F (impressed). The BMW SS1000 got a lot of the crowd's attention. All of my local dealers (Brown, Long Beach, and Irv Seaver had good representation in the BMW booth, mostly sales or marketing people, but some others, too.

I was happy for the people who found a place to show their restored antique motorcycles, but they don't interest me much, unless they have restored a model that I used to own. There were the usual custom bikes. Even though there were many custom cruisers, the trend seems away from them towards a custom sport/drag bike styling with low handlebars. I use the term "sport" bike loosely, because the extremely wide tires would prevent any reasonable cornering. Art, yes, rideable, no.

There was a stage with modern dancing and music (hip-hop). I ignored it as much as I could, even though it reverberated through the hall. There were two retailers with huge cages selling apparel and other merchandise. They also had loud heavy metal music blaring. They were very crowded, their displays quickly devolved into heaps of stuff, and it was not a fun shopping experience. In each case, I walked through the labyrinths and exited as quickly as I could.

My goals were to find gloves for my wife and earplugs/microphone that would fit under my helmet for use with the Zumo. I failed at both, but I had a great time looking around.
post #28 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:45 am

Doug, Kathy and I met at Schooner a bit after 10:00 and enjoyed breakfast before going to the show.
Free parking was nice, but I was a bit disappointed with the flea market ambiance, and the hip-hop crap going on.
I would have loved to see motorcycle celebrities, but there were none. Missing was the BMW concept with the new 6 cylinder engine, so... there was really nothing new to se that you haven't seen at the dealerships.
I did enjoy the Ducati stunt show though...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in