SoCal Riding?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

SoCal Riding??

Yeah its been a while since I posted on the site. I broke my ankle in February and just started riding again about 3 weeks ago. (Man, its great to be back in the saddle...)

Thought I'd get re-engaged here on the site and noticed there has been very little riding activity posted here. What's up with that? We're in prime riding season - anyone up for rolling around the mountains?

Also, anyone doing any wrenching sessions? I've never done the clutch slave weep hole thing... and frankly, I'm getting nervous about it. No, I don't have any symptoms - I might have a tiny drop in fluid level - hardly perceptible. Nevertheless, I think that I've got to get that weep hole thing done. I'd really like to work on that with people who have been down this road before.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:17 pm

Re: SoCal Riding??

Hi Tom, welcome back!
I think Doug is getting new Ohlins and we'll have a tech session to do the install.
I haven't done the weep hole thing yet, although I have the special tools and instructions.
I am in Woodland Hills and you are in Rancho Mirage but we can figure something out.
Do you have a garage, and a lift?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Gilles,

Boy I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has procrastinated on the weep hole thing. Yes, I've got a garage where we could work. I can host a tech session but the group would have to be limited. I live in a gated community with the HOA nazis. I could probably accomodate no more than 3 other bikes for a tech session.

I don't have a lift, which I know can be a real handy thing to have. I have a pretty expansive set of tools though. I know Elton has done the weep hole thing - maybe we can get him to walk us through the process.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF

post #4 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: SoCal Riding??

Tom - great to hear from you and looking forward to a ride - just give me a shout. Gilles is correct I need shocks and would never attempt the job of replacing without adult leadership. I'm check out prices for Ohlins now and should be able to convince my wife to break loose of the piggy bank as I only have one payment left on the 05.

As with you, I live in gated community which makes it difficult for more then a couple of bikes. I think Gilles' lift will make it advantageous for us to ride over to Woodland Hills. Maybe we can bribe him and Kathy with a nice dinner when we are done. We need to round up Elton as I have not seen him in a while either.

I'm tied up this weekend but maybe we can get together for ride next weekend to Julian/Borrego Springs or anywhere. We can probably scare up Elton and or a few other guys.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #5 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Hi Doug,

Alfred sent me a text and he is planning a ride to Solvang or Santa Barbara a week from this Sunday. Let me know if you want to join us. Anyone else is more than welcome to join us.

George

PS I would be interested in that weep hole tech session.
post #6 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Hi Tom. There's a lot of riding going on, not all of it gets posted. As to the weep hole I have done several. I've been fairly busy but if I'm available on the day you pick I'd be happy to help out.
post #7 of 28 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

It is good to hear from everyone. Doug I'm in the market for Ohlins also. So, if you find someone offering them at a decent price, I'll buy them. My wife has agreed to get them as a Xmas present for me. We can set up a Tech Session to install them. For some reason this job doesn't seem that daunting to me as the weep hole install.

George your ride to Solvang/Santa Barbara sounds tempting. Let me think about it. Don't know if the wife is up for that long a day. Sure is a pretty time of year in that area. I used to live in Santa Barbara so I'm familiar with it.

MIke, you would be a great resource for a tech session on the weep hole. I generally follow instructions well. I need to get that special socket, etc. I am willing to host the tech session at my place but I don't have a lift. And, all of the bikes we work on would have to be completely in the garage. My guess is that we could work on no more than 3 bikes. If I work on something in the driveway all hell will break loose.

Nice to know there are others out there.....

Ride Safe.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #8 of 28 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Cool. Just send me a PM if you are interested. Anyone else is welcome to join us.

George
post #9 of 28 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 1:28 am

I may be able to help. I did a weep hole a while back. It's good to purge the clutch fluid at the same time. I also drilled a hole at the bottom of the clutch housing to detect a rear main seal leak.

I'm also in the market for shocks....I know that Gilles is good at replacing them... ;-)

Let me know when and I'll try to stop by.

Mark

K1200LT 02
K1100LT 93
post #10 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
Hi Doug,

Alfred sent me a text and he is planning a ride to Solvang or Santa Barbara a week from this Sunday. Let me know if you want to join us. Anyone else is more than welcome to join us.
Can't make the Solvang/Santa Barbara ride this weekend. I don't have enough time for the hike over to the coast from here. Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional

Last edited by meese; Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:18 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #11 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Just letting you know that I'm watching this forum too. I hope you are all well and happy.

I have been busy - mostly with the IBA. I did that Border to Border ride in July; helped out at the Iron Butt Rally checkpoint in Santa Ana in August; took a long ride through Nevada, Oregon, and Washington to a two-day meeting in Seattle last month; and turned the return trip into another SS1000. What fun!

I won't be available next Sunday either, but I was hoping to plan an RTE to Solvang, coupled with a visit to the motorcycle museum there. Any interest?

Cheers,

XMR
post #12 of 28 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Can't make the Solvang/Santa Barbara ride this weekend. I don't have enough time for the hike over to the coast from here. Thanks for keeping me in mind.
Doug, you can always crash at our place if this will help. I won't be able to ride this weekend as I have my daughters, but don't let that stop you.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
It is good to hear from everyone. Doug I'm in the market for Ohlins also. So, if you find someone offering them at a decent price, I'll buy them. My wife has agreed to get them as a Xmas present for me. We can set up a Tech Session to install them. For some reason this job doesn't seem that daunting to me as the weep hole install.

MIke, you would be a great resource for a tech session on the weep hole. I generally follow instructions well. I need to get that special socket, etc. I am willing to host the tech session at my place but I don't have a lift. And, all of the bikes we work on would have to be completely in the garage. My guess is that we could work on no more than 3 bikes. If I work on something in the driveway all hell will break loose.

Nice to know there are others out there.....

Ride Safe.
Tom, I have the socket and cut allen wrench, along with the long drill bit for drilling the weep hole.
If you go through the trouble of taking everything apart to drill the weep hole you might as well replace the slave cylinder while you are there. What is the mileage on your bike?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #14 of 28 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Talking Re: SoCal Riding??

Gilles,

Frankly, I have to agree regarding the clutch slave. I've got about 45,000 miles on her.

Nice to know the tools are available.

Also, I absolutely must change the shocks - I'm still riding with the oem's on there - They Suck!

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #15 of 28 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Thumbs up Re: SoCal Riding??

Hi Guys!

I too am in the pool of those needing to replace my shocks. Got 41,000+ on the originals and the suck beyond measure. I have never been much of a mnechanic, mainly by choice and was planning on having them installed at David Grahams place in Chino, Ca. He owns Fast Lane Motorcycle service and has done a lot of stuff fo me on both my bikes.

But man, the price for labor and shocks put me into shock. Many of us have learned to penny pinch nowadays. And he is reasonable compared to the dealers, that is why I go there. But I may warm up to doing it when some of the guys here get together for the shock change out.

As for the riding, lets get out there and enjoy riding when a majority of the country is getting ready to store their bikes for the winter!!!!!!!

Anyone want to join us for the Solvang ride just let me know here or send a PM.

Thanks guys and see you soon.

Alfred Liceaga aka PIERNOLOGO.

Piernologo
post #16 of 28 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Hey Piernologo,

Welcome aboard. If we get a tech session scheduled we'll keep ya in mind.

When are you going to Solvang?

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #17 of 28 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Man, y'all keep complaining about 40K shocks. I ran my LT past 80K on the stock shocks, and my GT past 114K. And yes, both times they were shot, bad. So I guess I do know how y'all feel.

Speaking of tech sessions, I just picked up a pair of brand-new take-off ESA shocks for my GT. So I'll be watching for that tech session, or maybe holding one of my own soon . . .

Enjoy Solvang. The bike museum is impressive. I'd join y'all, but I have to head down into L.A. on Sunday.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 28 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:07 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
When are you going to Solvang?
Hi Tom -

Alfred is going this Sunday - he is organizing the ride!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 28 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:49 am

Smile Re: SoCal Riding??

Solvang it is guys, this Sunday the 15th of Nov. I live in Ontario, so If anyone lives here over yonder we can meet at Brown Motor Works in Pomona at 7am leaving at 7:15.

Anyone else out north or down the 405 or 5 corridors can meet up on the 126 just off the 5 round about........8:30ish anywhere on the side of the road is good, done it many times, you can wave at all the folks passing by 'til we all git there. Then we can head off to Solvang for a late B'fast or stop at the Airport Cafe in Santa Paula at the 150 and 126, pork chops are great at the Airpot Cafe and the Pacakes are from heaven at Paulas Kitchen in Solvang,..........will decide roadside before heading out.

Let me know if you guys can make it, otherwise we will meet up soon on another great ride!!! Suggestions are always welcome.

Alfred aka PIERNOLOGO.

Piernologo
post #20 of 28 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 2:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Man, y'all keep complaining about 40K shocks. I ran my LT past 80K on the stock shocks, and my GT past 114K. And yes, both times they were shot, bad. So I guess I do know how y'all feel.

Speaking of tech sessions, I just picked up a pair of brand-new take-off ESA shocks for my GT. So I'll be watching for that tech session, or maybe holding one of my own soon . . .

Enjoy Solvang. The bike museum is impressive. I'd join y'all, but I have to head down into L.A. on Sunday.
Brave man you are! I have been told by lesser men they only last 20k miles.

Piernologo
post #21 of 28 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by piernologo
Let me know if you guys can make it, otherwise we will meet up soon on another great ride!!!
I have a prior commitment that will keep me in the SFV until about 10:30, otherwise I'd meet you early. If I get all my honeydo's done Saturday maybe I'll try to catch up w/ you all in Solvang in the afternoon. Shouldn't be too hard to find a pack of LT's and/or other assorted BMW's.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 28 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 8:42 am

I'll see you out there Alfred. I haven't decided if I want to meet you at Brown's or the 126. I'll call you and set that meet point up. So far it looks like it's just the two of us heading out? If anyone in the south OC area wants to meet with me send me a message.

George
post #23 of 28 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Talking Re: SoCal Riding??

I'm already committed to a ride with Doug (Sorchilla) on Sunday. Doug you interested in going that far and that early to Solvang?

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #24 of 28 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
I'll see you out there Alfred. I haven't decided if I want to meet you at Brown's or the 126. I'll call you and set that meet point up. So far it looks like it's just the two of us heading out? If anyone in the south OC area wants to meet with me send me a message.

George
Ok, George. If in fact it will just be you and me I can meet you in the East L.A. area. If any one else wants to meet let me know, otherwise I will skip the stop at Browns of course.

Okay guys be safe out there.

My cell # is 626-705-9991. Alfred Liceaga.

Piernologo
post #25 of 28 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Alfred,

I'll call you tomorrow and we'll set the meet point. I doubt anyone else from down south is headed that way. See ya.

George
post #26 of 28 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:48 am
IBR# 366

Garage

So, how was the riding?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 28 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Red face Re: SoCal Riding??

Doug Sorchilla and I went out Sunday to Borrego Springs and back up through Julian, circled back through Anza and down the Palms to Pines highway. It was great day for riding but the temp in mountains above Palm Desert dipped into the 40s, which was a unexpected and chilly.

Damn, we both need shocks.... can't wait to get a set of Ohlins on the bike. We're planning on riding to the Long Beach show since a number of vendors will be there, including Ohlin.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #28 of 28 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
So, how was the riding?
Riding was great! But I was the Lone Ranger!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I told my wife I was gonna be solo, she figured I'd be back relatively early compared to most rides. Had a good ride to Pasadena and back. wow what mileage, but came home and finished an electrical project long over due.

Let's get out and have some fun, I am always looking forward to a great ride!

Piernologo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in