Fort Bragg via the Long Way - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2009, 3:15 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Fort Bragg via the Long Way

I decided to combine a business trip to the Northwest with the annual ride to Ft. Bragg. Rain, Snow, High Winds, & more rain and I'm not there yet. Left So CAL Tuesday morning via USA 395, with the intention of making it to Reno for the night. The rain got progressively worse and within minutes turned to snow. I found myself in 6 inches of snow near Mammoth and I returned to Bishop to find a hotel room for the night. The following morning all was right with the world or so I thought - sun was out and 395 was open all the way to the border. Within a few minutes I was in heavy crosswinds with gust to 50mph which stayed with me all the way to Susanville. From there I took routes 44 and 89 over the mountains and back into heavy rains, but no snow. After getting on the Interstate, I proceeded to ride onto Eugene, OR in more rain and at night. After a 770 mile day, I finally made to my hotel - wet & tired. Today was an easy one - a 350 mile ride to Oak Harbor WA. I took US101 from Olympia to the ferry at Pt Townsend to avoid traffic around Seattle. A great ride despite a light drizzle and slow moving tourist. I fished my business here and will leave for Tacoma in the morning for a meeting there. Hopefully, I can get out of there by early afternoon for the slog down the Interstate to Grants Pass for the night and then on to Ft Brag Saturday morning. Weather forecast is for more rain. The good news is the LT has delivered my safely and efficiently as possible in these conditions, which are unique for this So Cal desert dweller. My only regret is I should not try and combine work with pleasure - too many time constraints. See you guys in Ft. Brag.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2009, 11:08 am

Re: Fort Bragg via the Long Way

Well Doug, it looks like you had a rough ride all the way.We'll see you in Ft. Bragg safe and sound on Saturday afternoon!
Be safe and stay away from that white stuff on the road...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Re: Fort Bragg via the Long Way

Wow Doug, I know see the adventurous side of you! Snow sucks on a bike.That is a really long ride.

Ron Tate and I are gonna head to Yosemite and back for a long day ride ourlselves on Monday the week of Thanksgiving, I think the 20th. Gonna keep an eye on the forecast to avoid inclement weather for sure though.

See you soon Doug!

Piernologo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in