Brick and Mortor Helmet Store - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 28th, 2014, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Brick and Mortor Helmet Store

Anyone know of a good place that has a great selection of helmets to shop and try on? Tried Cycle Gear with their own selection of Bilt brand :-(. I really don't mind paying a little extra for service and selection. Just can't step up to the prices at my local dealer. So LA or Ventura county is my preference. Mail order is just not the same as trying it on and feeling the comfort of the lining. I spend way to much time with one on to settle for something less than perfect for my mellon and budget.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:09 am

Re: Brick and Mortor Helmet Store

Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino is a Walmart-sized motorcycle store. The inside area is huge, and they stock a large number of motorcycle helmets. I like to stop in there every once in a while just to wander around. They used to cater more to "budget" customers, but I noticed that they are adding more upscale products to their inventory, such as Klim gear.

I bought several Shoei helmets from Chaparral over the years, and the price was the best I could find locally. Currently, I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro, which I bought from JC Motors in Irvine. Chaparral shows Schuberth helmets on their website, but I don't know if they stock them in the retail store.

I highly recommend JC Motors. They are not as large as Chaparral, but their service, warranty, and support are the best. If you bought your gear from them and have an accident, they will give you a substantial discount on the replacement. JC Motors is open 7AM to 7PM Pacific, but closed on weekends.

If you are looking for a specific brand of helmet, call first to see if they stock the color you want and a variety of sizes to try on. If you see an advertised price from an authorized dealer somewhere else, bring a printout with you. Chaparral or JC Motors or another store of your choice may match it.
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Hi Craig, I know it is still far out on the calendar but the MC show in Long Beach in early December should have what you need and at salon discounted prices.
So if you are not in a hurry you could score nice gear along with some new BT technology to boot.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I bought my Shoei from Motorhelmets in Fullerton. They were pretty good to deal with. They are on Commonwealth.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I can vouch for MotorHelmets in Fullerton, too. I have bought many things from them over the years, but not a helmet. They have great prices on tires when they go on sale there.
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 8:43 pm
Gold Supporter

I went to Cycle Gear and tried on about a dozen helmets, and then went online and bought my Shoei Quest at about a 40% lower price.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 8:55 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRACER View Post
I went to Cycle Gear and tried on about a dozen helmets, and then went online and bought my Shoei Quest at about a 40% lower price.
I did the same but I went to the local Honda dealer instead of Cycle Gear as they have a better selection.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 9:48 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
I have to weigh in here. I see many posts like this. Cycle Gear has a lot of expenses that the internet guys don't have. Rent, employees, insurance, a large investment in inventory, that kind of thing. They need to make a profit to keep the doors open.

I feel that if you are going to take advantage of the low prices offered by an internet based company, you should also be willing to go through the trouble of returning something that doesn't fit or you don't like.

If enough people just use a brick an mortar store as a fitting room with no intention of buying, eventually they won't be there.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 9:57 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I have to weigh in here. I see many posts like this. Cycle Gear has a lot of expenses that the internet guys don't have. Rent, employees, insurance, a large investment in inventory, that kind of thing. They need to make a profit to keep the doors open.

I feel that if you are going to take advantage of the low prices offered by an internet based company, you should also be willing to go through the trouble of returning something that doesn't fit or you don't like.

If enough people just use a brick an mortar store as a fitting room with no intention of buying, eventually they won't be there.
I agree.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:00 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Jim, you do somewhat have a point, I did actually buy some tie down loops from them, that day, just to not leave empty handed. But, do I feel bad, no, actually, saving over $100, made me feel pretty good.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

post #11 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 11:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I returned to riding after my 25 year lapse, I bought two Shoei Neotecs from Cycle Gear, using their 15% off offer to people showing their new Motorcycle Safety Foundation certificate. I also bought a pair of boots from an on-line vendor and was unhappy with them - making a purchase decision from a picture is a lot different than actually touching and feeling something you wear. I got good deals on my Scala Cardo G9 and con Rimfire gloves from Wheels in Motion on Canoga near Nordhoff. Everywhere else, the gloves were $90, but I got them for $65 at WIM. They also offered Ohlins at a substantial discount from on-line vendors.
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
When I returned to riding after my 25 year lapse, I bought two Shoei Neotecs from Cycle Gear, using their 15% off offer to people showing their new Motorcycle Safety Foundation certificate. I also bought a pair of boots from an on-line vendor and was unhappy with them - making a purchase decision from a picture is a lot different than actually touching and feeling something you wear. I got good deals on my Scala Cardo G9 and con Rimfire gloves from Wheels in Motion on Canoga near Nordhoff. Everywhere else, the gloves were $90, but I got them for $65 at WIM. They also offered Ohlins at a substantial discount from on-line vendors.
Good to know; they are in my neighborhood since I live in Winnetka.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 9:06 am

Quote:
Jim, you do somewhat have a point, I did actually buy some tie down loops from them, that day, just to not leave empty handed. But, do I feel bad, no, actually, saving over $100, made me feel pretty good.
Congratulations on saving $100! What a deal! It's a good thing that Jim and I (and others) are stupid enough to pay a premium so that you could have a store where you could go to try on that helmet for fitting and size. I wonder how many different customers can try on a helmet before nobody wants to buy it? Thank goodness you bought those tie down loops. The margin on the tie downs must have covered their costs on the helmet.

Did you bother to ask Cycle Gear if they would match (or discount) their price? Probably not, because you didn't want them to think you are a cheapskate.
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 10:49 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
Congratulations on saving $100! What a deal! It's a good thing that Jim and I (and others) are stupid enough to pay a premium so that you could have a store where you could go to try on that helmet for fitting and size. I wonder how many different customers can try on a helmet before nobody wants to buy it? Thank goodness you bought those tie down loops. The margin on the tie downs must have covered their costs on the helmet.

Did you bother to ask Cycle Gear if they would match (or discount) their price? Probably not, because you didn't want them to think you are a cheapskate.
As a matter of fact, i sure did, no match, no discount. Secondly, they offer a military discount, but it did not apply to the higher end items, such as Shoei, only the cheap stuff. Thirdly, I shop at Cycle Gear, pretty often, but online as they are in the AAFES network (Army Air Force Exchange). Also, I did go, with the intention of buying a helmet if i could find a deal, but at the prices they had, no way.
If it makes you feel better to pay more than you need to for a product, knock yourself out. I suppose when you shop for a new car, you test drive and buy from the first dealer without price shopping? If you don't, then you're talking out of both sides of your face.
Thought this was a more refined group here, but lately, seeing a lot of name calling and insults. Continue flamming if you must.
As far as being a cheapskate, I consider myself money wise.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280

Last edited by GHOSTRACER; Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:58 am.
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:55 am

Quote:
As a matter of fact, i sure did, no match, no discount. Secondly, they offer a military discount, but it did not apply to the higher end items, such as Shoei, only the cheap stuff. Thirdly, I shop at Cycle Gear, pretty often, but online as they are in the AAFES network (Army Air Force Exchange). Also, I did go, with the intention of buying a helmet if i could find a deal, but at the prices they had, no way.
If it makes you feel better to pay more than you need to for a product, knock yourself out. I suppose when you shop for a new car, you test drive and buy from the first dealer without price shopping? If you don't, then you're talking out of both sides of your face.
Thought this was a more refined group here, but lately, seeing a lot of name calling and insults. Continue flamming if you must.
As far as being a cheapskate, I consider myself money wise.
Those are reasonable responses, especially since you did ask for a price match. Please accept my apology.

Yes, I do shop around. If I look at an item, and try it on, and get substantial advice, then I may buy it from a different local shop, but generally speaking, I won't buy it from the Internet, once I have received some value of advice or customer service that helped me decide exactly what to buy. It is my way of paying for services rendered, and my "donation" to ensure that my favorite shops stay in business for when I need their services. I still buy plumbing supplies from our two local plumbing shops, one of which is across the street from a large Home Depot. Their advice is priceless, the quality of their products is so much higher than Home Depot or Lowes. I have witnessed customers come into their store to get advice, then walk across the street and buy the parts from Home Depot, and then come back later to the plumbing shop when they need additional advice to help install the item or fix their problems.

The same is true for the few small hardware stores in my area. I dread the day when the old guys who own them decide to retire, because they will take a wealth of irreplaceable knowledge with them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If the local shops don't carry what I want, or it is a commodity item where shopping and fitting are not required, then I won't hesitate to buy it from the Internet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in