Virginia Travel help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 15th, 2014, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Virginia Travel help

Heading out from Wisconsin/IL next week through the Smoky Mt park and up the Blue Ridge Pkwy to about Roanoke. We are heading north and east to wind up at West Point Military Academy. We have about three days so not in a real hurry. Are there any suggestions that would keep us off the highway and some 'must ride' roads that you who live there will share with us visitors?

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 15th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Re: Virginia Travel help

Wow, if you are going to jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway at one of it's end points just outside the SMNP, and ride it all the way to Roanoke....why not continue on up to at least Waynesboro, VA and put a big ole' check mark next to that bucket list item? Once you hit Waynesboro, it turns into Skyline Drive. Also, at that point, you can make a left on I-64 and go only a few miles to see Mt. Vernon.

If you've never been to Washington, DC, I always suggest that people visit the city at evening/night. The monuments and buildings are all lit and tourist traffic is minimal. If you get within 50 miles of DC on a weekday between 6:30am and 8:00pm you will encounter the "Filibuster". It's the only way I can accurately convey the traffic situation to anyone who hasn't experienced it on their own.

I also wanted to mention that West Point is only 20 miles south of Orange County Choppers (as seen on TV). It's a fun visit and I once ran into Mikey, but I was never there during a filming session....

Have a great time!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #3 of 3 Old May 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Re: Virginia Travel help

I live 15 minutes from the Parkway in NC. Some suggestions for food and a room are the Pisgah Inn just after you pass Hwy 276. The food is always good, might want to check ahead on rooms. 45 min. past there is Asheville and you don't have to go far from the Parkway to get gas,food,rooms,take exit for hwy 25 N or S, doesn't really matter. 2 hours or so past there is Little Switzerland, only a few places and then the town of Blowing Rock which has everything. It is just past the Linville viaduct, the last part of the Parkway to be completed. Most of the Parkway is 45 mph and some 35 mph. Keep an eye on the gas gauge, not many places just off the parkway from Cherokee to Asheville.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in