Chaarlstun, SC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:59 am Thread Starter

Chaarlstun, SC

Looking for "must see" places in Charleston. Favorites restaurants, haunts, touristy things! Is Hilton Head worth a side trip? Need ideas.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:16 am

David Major (drmajor) will set ya straight...that's where he lives.
post #3 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:19 am

I'd recommend the aquarium but I understand that your new Georgia aquarium is bigger! Might be worth a look, though.

We went to see the CS Hunley a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. It's located at the former Naval Base but not too far away.

Our favorite Charleston restaurant is Magnolia's on East Bay Street. There are lots of other good choices, though.

We enjoy the carriage rides; the only caveat is that the city is divided into zones (otherwise all of the carriages would be around the Battery all day) and you don't know your destination until you are in the carriage. Not a big problem because there's something interesting in every part of the city.

post #4 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 8:25 am

My wife kidnapped me for my 50th and took me to Charleston. There are tons of guided walking tours which are great. At Patriot's Point there are several things, primary is the USS Yorktown, CVN-10, but there are a couple of other ships too. As far as places to eat, there is Poogan's Porch. The place is supposedly haunted. We stayed a a B&B in the Battery area and left the truck parked. We walked every where.

Have fun.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; May 30th, 2006 at 8:57 am.
post #5 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 9:07 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
My wife kidnapped me for my 50th and took me to Charleston. There are tons of guided walking tours which are great. At Patriot's Point there are several things, primary is the USS Yorktown, CVN-10, but there are a couple of other ships too. As far as places to eat, there is Poogan's Porch. The place is supposedly haunted. We stayed a a B&B in the Battery area and left the truck parked. We walked every where.

Have fun.

Hey! What wuz the name of the B&B? We're goin in the Fall....
post #6 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 9:53 am

Try this one http://www.batterycarriagehouse.com/ . We have stayed there many times and it has been an adventure each time. Places to eat? - suggestions mentioned are good. Magnolias is my wifes favorite. A chef friend of hers here suggested it many years ago and we always go back and have never been disappointed. The first time there we had chicken brest with Vidallia Onion chutney and some killer desert. It was so good we went back the next night and got the same exact thing again - a first for both of us.

Parking is awful in downtown so you might plan on walking.
Almost everything is easy to get to. Magnolia has one of the few free private parking lots. We did not enjoy the Aquarium - thought is was lacking given the hype and cost of admission. The ride over the bridge is free and a lot more fun but not if the winds are up.

If you stay at the Battery Carriage House, don't let them make any reservations for you except for Magnolias. They tried to suggest a couple of places that we knew we did not want to go.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Will keep the Magnolia in mind. We will actually be staying in an apartment for next to nothing; Doctor is away and is subletting the apartment!

We are going to do Patriot Park (point-whatever), take a self-guided walking tour and take one of the carriage rides, not sure which one to take (if there is a difference), would like to take a Plantation Tour but we have researched that some of the fees do not include the house as part of the tour. Will also probable take the boat to Ft Sumter.

Other places we would like to see is to go bother Jeff in Myrtle Beach for a day and bum around and maybe go to Savanah and Tybee Island. Is there anything worth seeing at Hilton Head?

Anyway, please keep those thoughts and places to see a coming!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #8 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
----------Other places we would like to see is to go bother Jeff in Myrtle Beach for a day and bum around and maybe go to Savanah and Tybee Island. --------------!
If you go to Savanna, try to get a reservation at "The Lady and Sons" restaurant. My wife watches the Food Network a lot, and Paula Deen is one of the more popular people on it. My brother and his wife have been there a few times, and absolutely love it. It is very popular, so call way ahead!

http://www.ladyandsons.com/

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
If you go to Savanna, try to get a reservation at "The Lady and Sons" restaurant. My wife watches the Food Network a lot, and Paula Deen is one of the more popular people on it. My brother and his wife have been there a few times, and absolutely love it. It is very popular, so call way ahead!

http://www.ladyandsons.com/
OOPS! Checked the website, and they do not take reservations, just "priority seating" for parties of 10 or more if called in.

My brother said the line can be LONG, so get there early.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 22 Old May 30th, 2006, 8:37 pm

If you go to Savanah, you might want to try the Elegant Pelican. They have some of the best Low Country Boil I've ever wrapped my lips around.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #11 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 6:01 am

Quote:
Looking for "must see" places in Charleston. Favorites restaurants, haunts, touristy things! Is Hilton Head worth a side trip? Need ideas.
As several others have mentioned, try Magnolias for dinner. If they're still serving them, I recommend the pork chops & have the dinner grits. Don't know if you're southern enough to enjoy/appreciate grits, but last time I was there Magnolias took 'em from breakfast food to upscale dinner entree. An impressive feat.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #12 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 6:39 am

TRUST me, he's Southern enough.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #13 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 9:25 am

If you want the best meal in Charleston, you need to go to Jestines Kitchen, 251 Meeting St. Don't waste your time on the "tours" of the "new" hotel or any of that either. Dang Time Share presentations... 3 HOURS I wasted there only to come out and find I got a parking ticket... Grrrrrrr... And really, I thought I knew better
Also, if you get the chance you may want to go over to the Mount Pleasant area for a sit down dinner right along the water front, really cool to be able to just sit back and watch the boats come in and out.
I love it there, first place I've been where there is actually a restaurant with an area for people with their DOGS!! And most outdoor eating accepts them too. It felt like home the minute I got there. Too bad my SO doesn't like it. After a day or two you don't notice the smell downtown unless you go past an especially pungent area. I will say though, those people with their homes on the barrier islands are a hell of a lot braver than I am... NO WAY would I live in a house (or spend the 1.5mil to build it for that matter!) sitting on piers on the beach front in hurricane alley!

My .02 worth.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #14 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 11:10 am

If you plan to make it to Savannah, try the Lady and Sons new seafood place "Uncle Bubbas" on Whitemarsh Island (HW 80 & Bryan Woods Rd) N32 02.222 W80 59.431 Apx.
Service was not good but the food was for our groups day trip to Savannah a short time back. If you take HW 17 from Charleston to Savannah, take a short side trip up SC HW 21 toward Yemassee (Old Sheldon Church Rd) and take a look at the old church on the right hand side of the road - historical marker and cars will show you the way.
Take your camera. After you see the church, turn around and go back to 17 and continue to Savannah.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #15 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 12:13 pm

You I trust, him weeeeeelllllll................

Luv ya Brett.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
TRUST me, he's Southern enough.
Hey I am as Suthrn as they come! I love grits; and GRITS (Girls Raised in The South); even though I married the best gal in the world and she's from TEXAS! Yahooooooooooooo!

I am writing all of these restaurant names down. I am still looking for ideas of places to see and things to do that are a must in Charleston and close-by areas.

I did hit the website for Lady & Sons Restaurant in Savanah, looks tempting.

Steve, I luv u 2!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 22 Old May 31st, 2006, 5:48 pm

Smile Charleston, SC

Brett, Sticky Fingers RibHouse 235 Meeting St. Great food, Great Service, Large portions.
post #18 of 22 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 7:22 am

I used to be in CHS at least once a month for years. I can say I don't think I ever found a bad place to eat. As for something to do you can spend a lot of time just walking around and rubber-necking at all the homes and gardens in the battery. Or out on the beach in Point Pleasant. Or watching the ladies make sawgrass baskets by the church steps. Or the boats coming in and out of the intercoastal. Just plan on slowing down and taking it easy for a couple of days. Some of my best trips have been when we didn't plan anything other than to just see what happens each day. No schedules, no problem.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #19 of 22 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Exclamation Middleton Place Plantation

Quote:
Make SURE that you go just north of Charleston and visit the Middleton Place Plantation.

http://www.middletonplace.org/default.asp?catID=4511

I just love their restaurant!
post #20 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Food- what type?
Seafood:
-Sulivan's on Sulivan's Island
-Giligan's- Main Rd. off Hwy 17 south- John's Island.
There are a bunch of seafood eateries on the water, but most aren't as good as above. View is better.

Really fancey- Roberts- Long reservation list wait. Chef sings opera while you eat.

Good prime rib- California Dreaming. Overlooking the harbor. Wonderful view. GReat salad!!!

BBQ
- SE Style- Bessingers, Hwy 17 just S. of town
- Memphis style- Sticky Fingers- Hwy 17 N. in Mnt Pleasent, Downtown on Meeting st. & Next to Northwoods Mall in N. Charleston. Really good dry and wet rub Q.

Magnolias is good and so is Justines. Agree with David that Lady & Sons in Savannah is really good- get there early- Long lines, but great southern food. Cheese biscuits to die for. 1.5 hr south of Charleston.

To See-
Aquarium is nice
Enjoy the Yorktown carrier
Hunley sub- very historic
Middleton Gardens- historic southern plantation
Draton hall- same- not as nice a garden.
Lots of great old 200 yr houses downtown. Russell House is impressive. Churches pre- Civil War. The school I went to had classes in pre- Civil War buildings.

If you do a walking tour of downtown, be sure to be nosey and look through the iron gates into the side/back yard gardens. really wonderfull.

Some wonderfull 200yr old churches all over downtown.

Try to get into see #2 Meeting st. Absolute beautiful antebellum house. It sits next to the Battery where the Civil War started. The stained glass windows are real Tiffeny!!! Given to the bride and groom who parents gave them the house as a wedding present!!!!!

Hills= Bridges over harbor
Curves = exit ramps.
Temp- today 95+
Beaches= Folly, Sullivans Island, Isle of Palms.
Golf coarses-= Municiple, Patriots Point (next to Yorktown Carrier and on harbor), Wild Dunes (primo), Seabrook and Kiawa. Wild Dunes is considered a Primo course. Built into sand dunes over looking the Atlantic Ocean.

None of the bike shops are worth the gas to get to them. Local BMW shop does have a K1200GT(new one), but they are typically not friendly. Used to have signs that said not to sit on bikes.!

We like it here. Love being close to water. Pace of life is medium.

Hope this helps.

David & Rahnda
2003 LT.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #21 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Dave, I forgot that you lived in Charleston!

Anyway will print this for our vacation for things to do! If any of these places aren't what you say they are I will slip you a mickey at the next STC?

Thanks Dave. It's hot here too!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #22 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 5:57 pm

I lived in Charleston for a couple years also, but I was in fifth grade at the time. My dad worked in the Navy yards at the time.

I do remember going crabbing and using cast nets for shrimping. I was too short to get much of a cast on the nets, but I could pull a crab trap pretty well.

Last time I was in Charleston was over 25 years ago, when I was living in Myrtle Beach. Gotta go back down there if I ever get moved back to the southeast just to see how much it has changed.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in