GMR is over - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

GMR is over

Had a good time, Karen won the 50/50 drawing, I won a Shuberth C2 helmet at auction (I'm giving it to Karen though since her concept is right at 4 years old, and my concept is under a year old) we ate a big ol steak saw some good folks had a great Time with joe and my friends SherrilT & Vicki, Bob and Linda - We had it made when it rained!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmr_1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	3717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherrilvickilindabobjoe.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3718  

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 7:58 pm

My only complaint with the Georgia Mountain Rally (GMR) is that they didn't follow the printed schedule for when the closing ceremonies would take place on Saturday. The handout said 8 pm; as Sharon and I approached the pavilion at that time, a fellow said to me, "Hey Bob, you won two awards at the vintage bike display". I said, "That's great, but I thought they were going to be announced at the closing ceremonies". He said, "They were - they started the ceremonies early - they're almost over now". Bummer.

At any rate - my 1983 R80S airhead Beemer won two awards: Best Classic BMW (1977-1985) and Peoples Choice Award. Wow! The Peoples Choice Award was a surprise - I would have voted for a beautifully restored R69 rather than my one-off, non-standard, very pretty, custom R80S (BMW never made an R80S!).

This is the 2nd year in a row that someone from Greenville, SC won those awards at GMR. Fred Zust won them last year with his L'il Red Bike, a red Beemer airhead set up in the cafe racer style of London's Ace Cafe. Some of you may have seen Fred's bike at the Cycle World booth at the bike show in Atlanta a few months ago.

Good rally. Some rain - typical for GMR. Said hello to Tom Gallo. Low point of the rally: ran into Joe Cool. Ya wins some and ya loses some.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
My only complaint with the Georgia Mountain Rally (GMR) is that they didn't follow the printed schedule for when the closing ceremonies would take place on Saturday. The handout said 8 pm; as Sharon and I approached the pavilion at that time, a fellow said to me, "Hey Bob, you won two awards at the vintage bike display". I said, "That's great, but I thought they were going to be announced at the closing ceremonies". He said, "They were - they started the ceremonies early - they're almost over now". Bummer.
cool on the award, I missed that as well, maybe they need a loud speaker out front to tell all what is going on.

They have some bugs to work out with this new system, they tried making it faster during the awards and door prize drawings, which cost some folks thier door prizes (the ones you must put a ticket in the item you want to win) that's how I ended up winning the auction for the C2 Helmet, no one claimed it by the end of the giveaway so they auctioned every left off, same with the 50/50 whoevers first ticket won wasn't there to get thier half - thier half was 590 bucks (Karen donated it back to the pediatric cancer thing they raise money for though) Heck we were almost late for that, Karen has won that 50/50 twice now and a GMR Kermit Chair two years ago, Me I just win the auction stuff <grin>

We had a good time though and good seeing ya'll

At any rate - my 1983 R80S airhead Beemer won two awards: Best Classic BMW (1977-1985) and Peoples Choice Award. Wow! The Peoples Choice Award was a surprise - I would have voted for a beautifully restored R69 rather than my one-off, non-standard, very pretty, custom R80S (BMW never made an R80S!).

This is the 2nd year in a row that someone from Greenville, SC won those awards at GMR. Fred Zust won them last year with his L'il Red Bike, a red Beemer airhead set up in the cafe racer style of London's Ace Cafe. Some of you may have seen Fred's bike at the Cycle World booth at the bike show in Atlanta a few months ago.

Good rally. Some rain - typical for GMR. Said hello to Tom Gallo. Low point of the rally: ran into Joe Cool. Ya wins some and ya loses some.

- Bob[/QUOTE]

Tom

post #4 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Thanks again Tom for all the hospitality...and congrats again Bob. A fine machine!

See ya both there again next year!
post #5 of 5 Old May 9th, 2006, 6:59 am Thread Starter

no problem,

so a GS going to replace that ninja thingy?,

it wouldn't do burnouts so easy<evil grin>

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in