Florida Insurance & Helmet Law - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Florida Insurance & Helmet Law

I recently moved to Melbourne, FL., from Denver, CO. What are the minimum requirements for motorcycle insurance (I understand FL Statute does not really "mandate" insurance for motorcycle, nonetheless...)? Additionally, I hear that you must a helmet if you don't meet the minimum insurance requirement. What is it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King
I recently moved to Melbourne, FL., from Denver, CO. What are the minimum requirements for motorcycle insurance (I understand FL Statute does not really "mandate" insurance for motorcycle, nonetheless...)? Additionally, I hear that you must a helmet if you don't meet the minimum insurance requirement. What is it?

Thanks!
10k in med payment coverage (your health ins will work untill they change that) to ride without a helmet, you can not get PIP in forida for the rider or spouse on a mc, there is no requirement for insurance to get your tags, HOWEVER if you get in a accident and it is your fault you will get charged for failure to comply with the florida financial responsibility law !!

it sucks, I am from Melbourne FLorida best advice I will give you is go talk to Brad Sinclair from sinclair law offices about insurance 321-255-1974 Tell him Tom sent ya he is a friend of mine, he will fill you in on the best place to get ins and all the current law's tell him to get a real panhead!

in the mean time here take a l look at this about fl mc insurance information
GET UM!!!! NOW
www.bikershut.net/mc_ins.htm

I should be in Melbourne this week for a bit.

Tom (your going to love melbourne!)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Apr 24th, 2006 at 9:22 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 5:01 am

The law isn't clear on whether you can get pulled or not, so our supervisor told us if we think the person is under 21 pull them and check for insurance. I stopped a guy no helmet, he was in his 30s, oooppps, but he did not have an endorsement, a criminal ciation and did not have insurance, he got both. Good advice above.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
The law isn't clear on whether you can get pulled or not, so our supervisor told us if we think the person is under 21 pull them and check for insurance. I stopped a guy no helmet, he was in his 30s, oooppps, but he did not have an endorsement, a criminal ciation and did not have insurance, he got both. Good advice above.

yea they sure screwed up with that law in fl, particularly making it more difficult for ya'll.

what kills me is that abate went along with that crap.

sure let them add a med payment binder so you can ride without a helmet in a state that has no ins requirement to get tags on a bike, what a mess, instead they should have fought for us to be able to buy insurance to cover the driver and or spouse period!

then to top it off, medicare any HMO/ppo health insurnace, will keep you from getting ticketed for riding without a helmet, It's no wonder the health insurance world wants to be able to exclude motorcycle accidents........

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 9:23 am

Welcome to Melbourne.

The Spacecoast BMW Riders meet every Wednesday evening at Jason's Deli across from the Melbourne Square Mall on 192. We are generally there about 6:30. Stop on by.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in