Home From STC II - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Home From STC II

Lisa and I arrived home after a ten-hour drive from Robbinsville. The trip probably should have been 8 hours, but with taking a long time to go across the Cherohala Skyway on the way home and a big traffic tie-up north of Knoxville (never did figure what that was all about) it turned into 10 hours.

We had a great time. Some highlights for me, personally:

1. Getting Jpegs and Mick-o-Pegs installed.
2. Riding lots of curvy roads.
3. Putting bmwlt.com faces with names: Dave Dragon, Don Norwood (great job, Don!), Lynn Keen (sans suit), David Major, and many other members.
4. Getting lost in a three-LT ride between the Cherohala and the Dragon, with ONE of us having a GPS! When the road turned to gravel and we heard banjo music we turned around and found someone to ask directions from.
5. Seeing lots of LTs: different models, different colors, different farkles, different mods. Getting tours of the same by their proud owners; all very educational and interesting.
6. Getting asked questions about the LT by young turks riding sport bikes.
7. Riding the Cherohala Skyway with FredR (Fred Rosenbaum) and Tarheel Rider (Joel), two LT riders and both good guys. It rained the whole way but we had a good time. Following them later in the day I found it easier to "pick up the pace", and although I couldn't keep up with Joel I think Fred and I had a nice ride from Deal's Gap back to the Iron Horse on route 28 after Joel left Deal's Gap for home.
8. Picking up lots of tips and and safety/performance/riding tips from Susan Galpin, LD rider extraordinaire. She spoke Thursday and Friday evenings after dinner.

I would say that riding the Dragon was not a highlight. It's nice to say I've done it, but IN MY OPINION it's highly overrated. Well-known? Of course. Popular? Without a doubt. Difficult? You bet, especially for me. I'll take route 28 and other nearby roads any day of the week over the Dragon. Lots more fun, I think, than dodging those @#$% Honda S2000s that were all over the Dragon yesterday.

Saw a few LTs on the way home: 2 or 3 went by the Microtel in Robbinsville as I was loading up, and 1 passed me on I75 near Knoxville. Don't know who that was, but I gave you a big wave, and saw you turn around and look at my LT on a trailer.

Glad I went to STC, and glad to be home!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Lisa and I arrived home after a ten-hour drive from Robbinsville. The trip probably should have been 8 hours, but with taking a long time to go across the Cherohala Skyway on the way home and a big traffic tie-up north of Knoxville (never did figure what that was all about) it turned into 10 hours.

We had a great time.

<Snip>

Hey, Howard - can sure tell you had a great time at STC II; now you gotta pretty good taste of what CCR '06 is gonna be like, 'cept 'bout 6 times huge'er. Sure wish you guyz woulda/coulda make it!!

Didn't sound like you had any trailer issues. You use the U-Haul POS, or another?? Just wonderin'.

BTW - anybody find a beeg enough cake to hold all of Dave Dragon's birthday candles??
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 6:01 am

Glad you made it home ok. Hope your wife enjoyed NC and sightseeing around. I'm with you on Deal's Gap, glad to have done it, but am going to avoid it on the weekends in the future. I was impressed how everyone that I came across made use of the pull-outs and let faster traffic by. I was glad the option was there when the S2000s came up behind me, I didn't need any help getting pushed down the hill.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 6:21 am

Hijack here:

I know that ONE can give the rest a bad name (S2000). As we were loading Doug's bike on the Ironhorse trailer, four S2000's came to a stop and the first car was some sissy boy making comments from his sissy-boy car that he couldn't get around the trailer! The rest of his friends in his little group didn't seem to mind to wait for a few minutes while we got the bike loaded and strapped.

Point that I am making here is that the S2000's (or at least some of them) think that when they are having their rally that all of the rest of us should yeild to them while they are on the roads.

Soapbox: OFF

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #5 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:45 am

Hi Harry & Joel. Made it to VA in 10 hours and will move on to CT in a day or so. Sure was nice of you guys to let me ride along with ya and sorry about that wrong turn. I am sure the banjo music was from my speakers as I did not see any canoes.
Glad to hear everyone is home safe.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
Hi Harry & Joel. Made it to VA in 10 hours and will move on to CT in a day or so. Sure was nice of you guys to let me ride along with ya and sorry about that wrong turn. I am sure the banjo music was from my speakers as I did not see any canoes.
Glad to hear everyone is home safe.
Fred, you had quite a long ride home; glad you're on the way.

It's "Howard", not "Harry". Don't worry, I'll keep reminding you!

And the GPS incident was kind of neat: reminds us all that these things aren't perfect. We did have a fun time riding some backwoods back roads through who-knows-where for awhile, didn't we!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Hijack here:

I know that ONE can give the rest a bad name (S2000). As we were loading Doug's bike on the Ironhorse trailer, four S2000's came to a stop and the first car was some sissy boy making comments from his sissy-boy car that he couldn't get around the trailer! The rest of his friends in his little group didn't seem to mind to wait for a few minutes while we got the bike loaded and strapped.

Point that I am making here is that the S2000's (or at least some of them) think that when they are having their rally that all of the rest of us should yeild to them while they are on the roads.

Soapbox: OFF
Brett, don't even get me started on those dag gone S2000s. I'll start another thread on that after I cool off a little. Their behavior on the Dragon was... OK, but their behavior on the way home? Whole 'nother story. I was in traffic with a mini-caravan of those bastages all the way home and never wanted more to be a LEO than yesterday during the drive home. I'll do that rant later. Glad someone else confirmed my experience on this topic.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Howard - can sure tell you had a great time at STC II; now you gotta pretty good taste of what CCR '06 is gonna be like, 'cept 'bout 6 times huge'er. Sure wish you guyz woulda/coulda make it!!

Didn't sound like you had any trailer issues. You use the U-Haul POS, or another?? Just wonderin'.

BTW - anybody find a beeg enough cake to hold all of Dave Dragon's birthday candles??
Hi Dick,

Nope, no trailer issues, other than having to use one! We did use the U-Haul, and it was a rusty, beat-up thing as I mentioned previously. Wouldn't use one again, as there are no tie-downs built in. You have to use the railing, the tongue, etc. to tie things down. It worked, guess I can say that.

Holy cow, Dick, STC now has me thinking "How can I do CCR?" Actually, I should be thinking "How can I afford CCR?", as in buying vendor stuff at CCR, not the cost of the trip itself. I got 2 kinds of pegs installed at STC, and if I were to attend CCR I would have to leave the credit card and check book at home! Dave Dragon showed me all kinds of stuff he had put on (reflective tape, etc.) at CCR. Heck, I need that, I need a tank bag, I need a trailer, I need...

Oh yeah -- trailer issues? Only one: wife and I came into STC via the Dragon, driving our car pulling the LT on a trailer. Let's just say I can't recommend doing that! Fortunately there were only 2 vehicles (no bikes) on Thursday morning that came up behind us when we were on the Dragon and we pulled over for both those guys. No real impact to those trying to enjoy that road.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
Sure was nice of you guys to let me ride along with ya and sorry about that wrong turn. I am sure the banjo music was from my speakers as I did not see any canoes.
No appology necessary - I think we all agreed when we made the turn that it was the way to go. Getting lost is half the fun. I could use a GPS, I'm the world's worst at getting lost, but then I'd miss all the extra riding I get to do When I'm in a cage, I fret about it, when I'm on a bike, it just means more smiles for more miles. I was a little late getting home, but no harm done. Julie and I went out Sunday for a little two hour ride and it ended up being four after I got turned around (and that was a local area).

I enjoy riding with others and appreciated you and Howard letting me tag along.

Howard is too kind to mention it, but he had reason to be concerned about my general ability when 2 minutes after meeting him I joined the DA group in the parking lot at the hotel

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

We had a great time. Some highlights for me, personally:

1. Getting Jpegs and Mick-o-Pegs installed.
2. Riding lots of curvy roads.
3. Putting bmwlt.com faces with names: Dave Dragon, Don Norwood (great job, Don!), Lynn Keen (sans suit), David Major, and many other members.
4. Getting lost in a three-LT ride between the Cherohala and the Dragon, with ONE of us having a GPS! When the road turned to gravel and we heard banjo music we turned around and found someone to ask directions from.
5. Seeing lots of LTs: different models, different colors, different farkles, different mods. Getting tours of the same by their proud owners; all very educational and interesting.
6. Getting asked questions about the LT by young turks riding sport bikes.
7. Riding the Cherohala Skyway with FredR (Fred Rosenbaum) and Tarheel Rider (Joel), two LT riders and both good guys. It rained the whole way but we had a good time. Following them later in the day I found it easier to "pick up the pace", and although I couldn't keep up with Joel I think Fred and I had a nice ride from Deal's Gap back to the Iron Horse on route 28 after Joel left Deal's Gap for home.
8. Picking up lots of tips and and safety/performance/riding tips from Susan Galpin, LD rider extraordinaire. She spoke Thursday and Friday evenings after dinner.

I would say that riding the Dragon was not a highlight. It's nice to say I've done it, but IN MY OPINION it's highly overrated. Well-known? Of course. Popular? Without a doubt. Difficult? You bet, especially for me. I'll take route 28 and other nearby roads any day of the week over the Dragon. Lots more fun, I think, than dodging those @#$% Honda S2000s that were all over the Dragon yesterday.

Saw a few LTs on the way home: 2 or 3 went by the Microtel in Robbinsville as I was loading up, and 1 passed me on I75 near Knoxville. Don't know who that was, but I gave you a big wave, and saw you turn around and look at my LT on a trailer.

Howard, I really enjoyed meeting ya'll...
but

9. CBS (chocolate brownie sundae)

I must agree with you about the Dragon.(Deal's Gap).. a lot of hipe..but that what brings folks to "them thar hills" .. now just keep it a secret about the "other roads" ...less traffic for us..

Ride safe my friend...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Howard, I really enjoyed meeting ya'll...
but

9. CBS (chocolate brownie sundae)

I must agree with you about the Dragon.(Deal's Gap).. a lot of hipe..but that what brings folks to "them thar hills" .. now just keep it a secret about the "other roads" ...less traffic for us..

Ride safe my friend...
Hey Don, would you believe I didn't get a chocolatge brownie sundae? What's up with that? But then, I didn't get the prime rib dinner on Saturday, either. Forgot to sign up. Doh!! Can't say you didn't warn us, though.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
...Howard is too kind to mention it, but he had reason to be concerned about my general ability when 2 minutes after meeting him I joined the DA group in the parking lot at the hotel
Joel, I'll give you a pass on that one. Did you notice the concrete at the Microtel parking lot there in Robbinsville, where you had the little "incident"? Several slabs of concrete are poured at very odd angles. You put your right foot down and... no parking lot was there. It was about 6" below where it should have been. I wouldn't count that one! I would have dropped a bicycle on that slab.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
-----------------------------------
Howard is too kind to mention it, but he had reason to be concerned about my general ability when 2 minutes after meeting him I joined the DA group in the parking lot at the hotel
SHHHHH! It is supposed to be DA, remember!

BTDT.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
SHHHHH! It is supposed to be DA, remember!

BTDT.
OK, since Joel's little secret is out, a couple of things regarding it:

1. I was on my bike and had just taken it off the center stand. I was facing away from Joel, who had just pulled away from the curb. I heard this faint "crash" sound and turned around to see Joel's LT laying down in the parking lot and Joel standing beside it with a surprised look on his face. Hopped off mine and we picked his up, with Joel doing the backup-and-lift-with-legs routine. A minor scratch on the bottom of the tipover wing cover. No biggie, but still amazing, isn't it?

2. After we got home, my wife said "What was up with your friend in the parking lot? What made him drop the bike?" I told her not to worry, I've done it twice...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in