Heads Up for Folks headed to STC: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Heads Up for Folks headed to STC:

From www.tailofthedragon.com:

LEO UPDATE NEW FOR 2006 We will be posting the latest info on enforcement for the Dragon and other area roads here. There will be increased enforcement on western North Carolina roads this summer by NCHP. They will be concentrating on the major 4-lanes such as US74/19 and NC28. Watch for radar here. Also expect to see NC Motorcycle Troopers in the area on a limited basis. We have seen Blount Co Sheriff cars on the Dragon recently. Be aware that they will issue tickets for unreasonable speeds and unsafe riding.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
From www.tailofthedragon.com:

LEO UPDATE NEW FOR 2006 We will be posting the latest info on enforcement for the Dragon and other area roads here. There will be increased enforcement on western North Carolina roads this summer by NCHP. They will be concentrating on the major 4-lanes such as US74/19 and NC28. Watch for radar here. Also expect to see NC Motorcycle Troopers in the area on a limited basis. We have seen Blount Co Sheriff cars on the Dragon recently. Be aware that they will issue tickets for unreasonable speeds and unsafe riding.
Also,this week... kid on Ninja clocked at 160 mph, trooper turned to start to chase but kid crashed, so since the LEO was "somewhat" involved you can expect more "involvement" in that area...

The locals say that the State and County LEO policy of limited chasing of these bikes, because of number of crashes in the past and they usually out-ran the unit...therefore more units patrol the area. Therefore if see a patrol unit, don't be surprised to see a few more up the road.. and if you are ever in the area when they do the "drag net" units everywhere on the road and in the air...

Have a good ride, use caution and watch out for the other guy

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Also,this week... kid on Ninja clocked at 160 mph, trooper turned to start to chase but kid crashed, so since the LEO was "somewhat" involved you can expect more "involvement" in that area...

The locals say that the State and County LEO policy of limited chasing of these bikes, because of number of crashes in the past and they usually out-ran the unit...therefore more units patrol the area. Therefore if see a patrol unit, don't be surprised to see a few more up the road.. and if you are ever in the area when they do the "drag net" units everywhere on the road and in the air...

Have a good ride, use caution and watch out for the other guy
Nothing can out run a Motorola.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Nothing can out run a Motorola.
and the eye in the sky..

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Ticket

I got my ticket for the week.

The friendly NCHP. clocked an Ol man on a Rocket III, 92 in a 55 zone. I only hit it in 1st, second and 3 rd. gear no more than 8 seconds. Then back to 55

I guess I will have to behave for a while..

Joey

PS... bring the Rocket to STC...
Ride safe everyone

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC
2001 LT name Dolly because she is so dang Top Heavy
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Access to 2005 SE V-Rod
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2006, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
I got my ticket for the week.

The friendly NCHP. clocked an Ol man on a Rocket III, 92 in a 55 zone. I only hit it in 1st, second and 3 rd. gear no more than 8 seconds. Then back to 55

I guess I will have to behave for a while..

Joey

PS... bring the Rocket to STC...
Ride safe everyone

DAMN PROFESSIONALS!

<grin>

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:09 am

Me too!

Don't feel bad Joey. SCHP got me for 61 in a 45 on Monday at o'dark thirty headed towards Charleston. First performance award in almost 25 years.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:30 am

Also: there is a large bike race going on in Ga that will include the mountain area. There are bikes, chase motorcycles, photographers, police, spectators and support vans for each team spread out along the route. They departed Augusta 11:30 AM Tuesday for a six day race.

And: a LT rider from the Augusta area was stopped once in NC for passing 'more than two' vehicles at one time on a two lane road while never exceeding the speed limit and passing in a passing zone. He was given a warning from a Co. Deputy - but was told that a State officer would have ticketed him. Go figure.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in