Deals Gap Camping - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Deals Gap Camping

I am about to take my first 2500 mile tour on my LT to the Blueridge PKY and Deals Gap. Can anyone recommend camp grounds, resturants and sites to see in these areas? I want to set up camp close to the Dragon and the Skyway so I can drop the trailer and ride the twisties.

Thanks Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 7:10 am

A good reference for that part of the country and the area in between there and your starting point is "Riding the Appalachians" by Dale Coyner. It is good reading, lots of pictures and information about camping and good places to eat and things to see.
Tim Halpin

Tim Halpin - Northern, VA
01 - K1200LT
02 - Bushtec Quantum
79 - R100RS
BMWMOA - 30+ Yrs
AMA
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 7:28 am

Rodger,
Might want to check out this place - http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

It is where they hold the "Spring Training Camp" that some of the folks go to.

Owned & operated by m/c folks...

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 8:33 am

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 8:38 am

The Dragon

Check this out
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
I stay at J+J motorcycle cabin myself, they have always been very good to us. (We been known to get a little rowdy)
If you have time, Ride Wabaugh rd and the most twisting rd in GA. Make a right at end (gas station) get ready for another 7 miles of no blink rd.
Careful on the skyway it can lull you to sleep, your looking over very long views and don't reliase your speed, then the next bend is upon you.
The area is absolutly breathtaking, we try to make a spring and fall trip (early week is better on the Dragon, less people) the place is very motorcycle friendly.
Have a nice trip.
Rock
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 8:52 am

Camping

Ironhorse MC Resort is my first choice (see link in previous response by others).

The "Bistro" at west end of the Cherohala skyway is very good. It will be the big log cabin on stilts beside river!

In the Tellico Plains (small) business area is a cafe that has a great breakfast.

If you can come to the "Spring Training Camp for Riders" at Ironhorse next week. see Links on this board!
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgtc
I am about to take my first 2500 mile tour on my LT to the Blueridge PKY and Deals Gap. Can anyone recommend camp grounds, resturants and sites to see in these areas? I want to set up camp close to the Dragon and the Skyway so I can drop the trailer and ride the twisties.

Thanks Rodger
Rodger, when are you coming down South to the Parkways?

There will be about 90 other LT owners and friends at STC II at Ironhorse Lodge and Campground next week from 20 -23.. come join us.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:58 am

Cool

Roger -

A possible extension for your Deals Gap ride is the Foothills Parkway that rings part of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It spills out on the Deals Gap highway and connects to Highway 321 between Maryville and Townsend, TN. There was a wonderful campground along that stretch of the Foothills Parkway called Lookrock - don't know if it's still open, but you could find out by going to www.nps.gov and linking to Great Smoky Mountains NP. While you're in that part of the country you should consider going into the park and riding the Cades Cove loop road. If you do, plan on 2-3 hours to stop and see the remaining examples of pioneer farmsteads, grist mill and other attractions. Good riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in