Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Just joined . . . don't see a New Member thread and don't know if it's customary to announce oneself on joining, but in case, heah ah iz. Retired curmudgeon in Penscola, Fl, recently bought a "rode hard and put up wet" 2005 LT and getting used to it. Also have a 1998 Valkyrie Tourer I'm trying to part with and a 1998 Moto Guzzi EV11 that's more fun than a barrel of monkeys around town.

Patting myself on the back at the moment. Just got through successfully removing the trunk box, taking out the charcoal cannister, and blowing a teacup of raw gasoline out of it. That oughta stop the suction forming in the tank and the irregular stalling out at idle.

I hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Newbie

Welcome aboard Bernard. Congrats on the new ride. Most post right into the K1200LT forum at the top. Lots of good info here and support if you have a problem (which many never do).

Newcomer advice on the LT is never come to a stop with the front wheel turned or she will dirt nap on you. If parking on the side stand, leave it in gear and use the stand to kill the engine. Hold her up right for a few seconds to let oil drain from the cylinders, roll forward taking up slack in the drive train (you were in first right?) then lay her into the stand. They have a bad habit of rolling forward off the stand if you don't.

Explore the world above 6,000 rpm in the twisties after you used to her and she will be like new bike to you. First gear is good to about 62 mph (then you hit the rev limiter).

Enjoy the ride!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: Newbie

Welcome.........this is the place to get educaded about your LT. Best site on the net, in my opinion. Read, Read, Read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 6:10 am

Re: Newbie

A buddy of mine had a F6 Valkyre, you don't see many on the road these days.

Welcome to the site and post a pic of your scoot.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in