MOA National - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

MOA National

Anybody plan on attending the MOA National Rally in Sedalia, MO July 19th-22nd?
Ron

Ron Kimble
13 F800GT
99 K1200LT
98 ST1100
06 KLR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 7:43 am

Re: MOA National

Sedalia, MO in August. Got my fill of heat stroke in Bloomsburg last year. Pass!

Ultra LT
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 10:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Sedalia, MO in August. Got my fill of heat stroke in Bloomsburg last year. Pass!

Ultra LT
+1
Took the Bimmer Z3 with A/C and still nearly had heat stroke.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 3:46 pm

BMW MOA folks don't seem to get that we're in an increasing temp cycle. Whether or not you believe in man made global warming, the data about increasing temps and rising sea levels is very real. I've been an outdoors guy most of my life and everything from when bird migrations arrive to when ice fishing is possible has changed by a couple weeks compared to the timing of 40 years ago. Spring flowers like azaleas are 2-3 weeks ahead of average this year so it looks like we're in for a hot, dry summer.

So its very likely that Sedalia will be another roaster in August this year but I suppose there's a slim chance of a cool spell. Hope so for the safety of the folks who plan to go.

Extreme hot weather is dangerous if you're not used to riding distances in it. Heat induced fatigue sneaks up on the unwary. I've got the tools to ride in those conditions but certainly won't do a few days of it by choice. When you live S of the Mason-Dixon line, August is the very worst riding month of the year by a large margin. For most of us in NC, Aug might be a time to ride in the higher elevations of the NC mountains which are 15 degrees cooler than the lowlands. Its also a good time to ride in New England, the Northwest, the Great Lakes region and assorted other cooler places- any place you can use latitude or altitude to improve conditions.
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I've been to several MOA national rallies. I'll not go to another one, until I hear that they "fixed" the closing ceremony. Way, way, way too long.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 6:46 am

It's been a few years since my last MOA rally. The one in Charleston WV was nice because of all the mountain riding. This year's rally does look hot - weather.com is projecting an average of almost 90 degrees, and I wouldn't be surprised if just about every day is well into the 90s.

One thing to watch out for is heat rash on your scalp. I got this on a July 4th trip to Austin Tx. The first day out I got caught in construction traffic on the interstate with intense heat. And unbeknownst to me that was the start of the heat rash. By the second day I couldn't hardly keep my helmet on, the itching was so bad. When I felt my scalp I could feel little bumps. At one point I pulled into a rest area and damn near threw my helmet to the ground. Finally got relief by stuffing my helmet with crushed ice.

For everyone who's going please keep hydrated.

Greg

PS - The picture below was taken outside an Austin BBQ spot, with my bike parked in the shade for about an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010106.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	34831  

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:37 am

We are headed out next Tuesday and hopefully going to enjoy this years rally. We are staying at a hotel just because in years past when I pitched my tent there is always a severe storm that has everyone scrambling and loosing tents. It will be hot but with the proper precautions, fun can be had.

Ride safe my friends
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I have tickets but the forecast from wunderground.com is calling for 102F. I'm gonna pass on that. I like to ride between 50-85F. I don't do 100's. Be safe for all who brave the heat.

2012 BMW R1200 RT Midnight Blue
1983 BMW R100 RT Magenta Red
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpc
I have tickets but the forecast from wunderground.com is calling for 102F. I'm gonna pass on that. I like to ride between 50-85F. I don't do 100's. Be safe for all who brave the heat.
Yes, triple digits!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weather Forecast.pdf (130.5 KB, 43 views)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Those are not forecast triple digit temps, but record temps for those days. The latest forecast temp is 94 on Monday, July 16.
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Well, we rode to the rally. Had a few mishaps. By the way a HUGE THANK YOU to the boys there at Gateway BMW who after my "Suprise" visit had me going within a few hours. Bad front brake hose. 106 is what is said on the temp gauge on the bike going across Missouri. Sucessfully entered into the relm of Heat Stroke on arrival day of thursday. The grounds were fantastic! Indoor vendors as well as outdoor vendors. To all who ride out that way, DO NOT STAY AT THE ECONO LODGE in Knob Noster Missouri. I will be contacting Choice Hotels and asking them to do a suprise visit. Lets just say, the lady, well,,, let me put it this way,, our luck of the trip came to screeching halt upon check in. All in All, I enjoyed the time on my bike and the traveling with my father-in-law. I do wish they would put these things either earlier or later in the year. I believe I am going to the Georgia rally next year.

Ride Safe folks
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
I do wish they would put these things either earlier or later in the year. ...
If they keep it at this time of the year, how about Maine? or Vermont?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 9:34 pm

CCR was in Vermont in 2010. Hotter there than it was in NC that week.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in