Military museum tours - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Military museum tours

We've been to the Mighty 8th and other military museums. Below is a link to some images of one of their counterparts in Gatow. Germany's national Luftwaffe Museum. There were many highlights for me, but the one I haven't seen before that was mesmerizing, was the famed "88" all around artillery/anti aircraft weapon.

http://john-njudy.smugmug.com/Recrea...422658_QfZTRHb

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 9:16 am

Re: Military museum tours

Bugatti - Ooooh Aaaah

Great pictures, was this a motorcycle tour?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Bugatti - Ooooh Aaaah

Great pictures, was this a motorcycle tour?

No, not a motorcycle tour. Just a day away from work in Leipzig.

Thought these shots would go well with some of the museum rides the south east guys have been doing, and I've been missing since the Mighty 8th a couple years ago.

Thanks

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Good pictures, John. I'm not sure we can get this museum in for a RTE, so thanks for posting. There were a few descriptions of the scenes, but they were written in some foreign language! What's up with that?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 9:29 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Good pictures, John. I'm not sure we can get this museum in for a RTE, so thanks for posting. There were a few descriptions of the scenes, but they were written in some foreign language! What's up with that?

Hey Lee,

I'm surprised no one commented about the 2 BMW powerplants. The inline 6, which the K's brick very closely resembles , is from a WW1 Fokker bi plane. The 2 bank radial is from an early WW2 FW190, a very bad ass machine in it's own right.

See you around bud,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I went back through the pictures and I'm thinking you're referring to the Flugmotor BMW III a as the inline 6 and the Flugmotor BMW 801 D as the 2 bank radial. I saw the info boards, but couldn't read very much of them. By the time I'd gotten through the pics, I had forgotten about the engines. What does Flugmotor mean, anyway? How long will you be in Leipzig? Where to next?

Did you and your family have a good early holiday in Key West?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I went back through the pictures and I'm thinking you're referring to the Flugmotor BMW III a as the inline 6 and the Flugmotor BMW 801 D as the 2 bank radial. I saw the info boards, but couldn't read very much of them. By the time I'd gotten through the pics, I had forgotten about the engines. What does Flugmotor mean, anyway? How long will you be in Leipzig? Where to next?

Did you and your family have a good early holiday in Key West?
I believe flugmotor means aircraft motor. I can't read much of them either but the data section is basic stuff like max boost or max manifold pressure, bore, stroke, displacement, horsepower, torque, etc.

Heading home on Tuesday.

Our European contracts with DHL are complete for now, so I am scheduled for Miami later in January. Those routes are to Brazil and other South American cities. So maybe I'll get a chance to see more Nazi sites.

The trip to Key West was awesome. Only thing missing was the bike. Total relaxation.

Travel Tip: early December travel to Key West is excellent as far as no crowds. Even a lot of Floridians do not realize this. Things get crowded and crazy starting a couple days before Christmas until a week after New Years, but we are long gone by then.

Pics of that trip are in the same Smug Mug section as the German, Belgian, and Japan pics.

So, get on down there next time you head to Disney.

Edit - oh yes, one thing I forgot on the Luftwaffe museum. The pic of the BF109 rudder with the tally markings on it was interesting. On this the side of the rudder shown, this pilot had at least 80 kills. most are marked with the British insignia. Near the bottom he started seeing US aircraft that are marked with stars. The ones with the plane image are for 4 engined US bombers downed, most likely 8th Air Force B-17's.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:35 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in