Yet more Blue Ridge Pkwy questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Yet more Blue Ridge Pkwy questions

Planning on taking the Sky Line and Blue Ridge around the first or second week of Nov, while riding from ME back to Tucson AZ.

The last time I took this route I was lucky, no rain while I was on that route. If it starts raining or just is fogged in, are there other nice rides following a southern route that wouldn't be in the fog?

Or, other routes that offer scenery and twisties?

I plan on a riding the PKWY just to enjoy the ride (2-3 days), and would like to take side trips for lunch, and sight seeing. Are there any must see places, like museums?

Also looking for suggestions on where to stay?

Maybe there should be a separate sight just for BRP?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Re: Yet more Blue Ridge Pkwy questions

The only place to stay right on the BuRP that I know of is the Pisgah Inn. Really good for lunch. There are lots of other places on the roads that connect to the parkway and lead to a town. One place our group has been to for breakfast a few times is called Freeborne's Eatery and Lodge near Laurel Springs, NC. I've never stayed there, but I think Saddleman has. You might want to check the parkway's website for info on what to do and see. Some sections of the parkway close during the winter due to being remote and snow-covered. Not sure when that might happen. Website will probably tell that too.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:44 pm

There are a couple places right on Skyline one with a full service restaurant. Also in VA on the BRP there is the Peaks of Otter lodge. You will need to check their web site to make sure they are open.

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Another nice stop for food is Chateau Morrisette Winery. Great Restaurant. It is roughly 1/2 mile off parkway. (very close to Mabry Mill, 3 miles or so north of mill)

There are a bunch of great roads off the parkway around that area. Route 8 is worth a bolt down and back

Squirrels spur is a great road too.

Personally I would skip skyline drive (Toll, slow speed limit and lots of traffic) and go through Lydia to 642 667 211 522. Lots of fun roads in the area
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 9:40 am

Here's a direct link to the NPS page for closures: http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

They DO NOT remove snow or ice from the BRP, they merely close the section until it clears. The page also links to the main BRP page.

I had gotten the free book from the BRP Association & NPS. It may not get to you in time but they have an online and downloadable version too. The best part was the map they included.

We just stayed at the Peaks of Otter two weeks ago and it is a really nice place. Be warned though; no tv in rooms, no phones and no cell phone coverage. Quite peaceful.

There are also several nice places in Little Switzerland, NC. We happened to pick the Big Lynn Lodge and were not dissappointed. We had a parkway view room (about 75' from the the BRP but still quiet) and they have mountain view rooms and cabins too. At Big Lynn your room includes breakfast and dinner for two.

2, 3, or even 4 days is a nice pace to enjoy the scenery along the way. Maximum posted speed limit on the BRP is 45 mph. In November though you'll probably find the fall colors gone at the higher elevations, especially in NC. They were already changing good two weeks ago. I posted a link to a YouTube slide show of our trip in another thread on here about "BRP End-to-Enders" if you want an idea about the scenery you'd see. The video is also in one of our blog posts here.

Most importantly, take your time and enjoy the ride.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Oct 8th, 2011 at 9:50 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in