South Florida service- 441 Cycle vs. Miami - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 4th, 2011, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

South Florida service- 441 Cycle vs. Miami

Hello BMW community! I am a new BMW owner in South Florida. I see that there are only 2 local dealers, 441 Cycle Shop and BMW Motorcycles of Miami. Who do you all suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:23 am

Re: South Florida service- 441 Cycle vs. Miami

Welcome to the forum... I'm up in Tampa and haven't heard about the two dealers that you mentioned. Might suggest reposting in the SE area for a more specific audience.

I've had good experiences with the Tampa dealer, if you are ever up this way..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFloRida
Hello BMW community! I am a new BMW owner in South Florida. I see that there are only 2 local dealers, 441 Cycle Shop and BMW Motorcycles of Miami. Who do you all suggest?
Unfortunately I cannot give you a direct answer to your question as I have no experience with either dealer. I will however make a suggestion; purchase the service manual and perform the majority of the routine service yourself. If your still under warranty document all the service and save the receipts. It's really not that difficult and you'll save a ton of money and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that things were done completely and correctly. If your apprehensive at first you can probably get some help by sponsoring a TECH Day. You can also find many helpful articles and answeres to your questions in the TECHNICAL section of this FORUM. Welcome aboard and good luck with your new ride.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 5:09 pm

I use 441 cycle. Kinda difficult to find the first time. They are ok for a shop. Their part girls are very nice and efficient. The shop is small but always seems to be busy. Cant say about the work, i do all my own work, but i have not heard complaints. The service manager does not impress me but again they dont work on my bike. I just use them for parts.
The one in Miami I have not been to. But the area is BAD. But I hear the shop is nice, with a big showroom for clothing and stuff. I know a few that have been there and say, on a bike you are on your own, go there and back.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 10 Old May 9th, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Welcome to the forum... I'm up in Tampa and haven't heard about the two dealers that you mentioned. Might suggest reposting in the SE area for a more specific audience.

I've had good experiences with the Tampa dealer, if you are ever up this way..

Thanks for moving my post the correct place. Hopefully someone who gets their bike serviced will get back with me before I have to set up an appointment.
post #6 of 10 Old May 20th, 2011, 9:47 am

I dropped my '00 LT off at 441 Cycle Shop on Friday, April 29, 2011 for a routine 36K mile service and to have my brakes repaired. The right front caliper was not releasing and the brake was dragging.

They had the bike until Tuesday, May 10. I picked it up on Friday, May 13. When I was picking it up I asked the mechanic how the service went, if he had any problems and if everything was okay. He said the bike was fine and he found nothing wrong with it. The brake lines had been replaced, so that in conjunction with his statement that everything was fine, I started to ride home.

As I left the shop I noticed daylight shining through the space around the gas filler door, something I had never seen before. Stopped at a red light, I tried to open the gas filler door and found the rubber piece around the filler neck was not reinstalled properly and was preventing the door from opening fully. I also found the source of the daylight was a piece of the door broken and missing. I also saw a 'chunk' of the black plastic trim around the filler door broken and missing, and a piece on the left side broken, but sitting in place. I also found several 'new' scratches in the paint, adjacent to the damaged trim pieces.

I immediately went back to the dealer and showed the service manager. His response was, "I have no way of knowing if it was like that when you brought it in". He went inside and sent the mechanic out to talk to me. The mechanic apologized for the damage and explained that the plastic 'gets brittle and breaks easily". He then reached into his shirt pocket and gave me about half a dozen pieces of broken plastic, which happened to fit the damaged area perfectly.

He re-installed the rubber piece around the gas filler and sent me on my way.

On my ride home I noticed the trip computer showed my mileage was still about 8-10 m.p.g. lower than before I developed the brake problem. When I got home I checked the front wheel and found I had to use both hands and considerable force to move it. Apparently the brakes had not been repaired. I also found the wiring from the front ABS sensor hanging down in front of the fairing. There were greasy hand prints all over the bike and the rubber cap on the left brake bleeder was off and the caliper and bleeder were wet with fluid.

I e-mailed the owner of 441 Cycle and expressed my concern and dissatisfaction. He was very nice and asked me to bring the bike back so he could look at it himself and see exactly what my concerns were. I told him I would bring it back on Friday, May 20, to show him. I went to the dealer this morning to meet with the owner and found that he won't be back until next week sometime. The girl at the counter told me the owner had scheduled me for service this morning and told me there was no reason for me to talk to the owner because the mechanic was more knowledgeable than the owner anyway.

Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend anyone take their bike for service to 441 Cycle Shop, in Plantation, Florida!

Gregg Oldberg
'81 R100RT
'00 K1200LT
post #7 of 10 Old May 20th, 2011, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your messages and detailed reply.

However, I had already gone to 441 Cycle bases on some very strong recommendations that I got from local riders that I ran into while on a ride. On-line I was only able to find bad things written about any of the dealers. So I desided not to base my decision on that, because if I did I would be working on my bike myself lol. Luckily I ran into some BMW riders on a ride last weekend who happened to be 441 regulars. They spoke very highly of the shop, apparently they have been in business for around 50 years or so.

I gave them a shot for a 12,000 mile service and general check-up of my bike (R1200GS). Everyone was super friendly and the service staff seemed very knowledgeable in in my opinion. They didn't try to up-sell me on items I don't need. They noticed a slight oil seepage from the oil fill plug and brought it to my attention so I could o.k. the repair. I spent several hours at the dealership since I was waiting with the bike while they worked on it. They have a comfortable customer waiting area and the girls up front were nice to chat with. As it turns out the shop is family owned and opperated, which I think is pretty cool.

Of couse everyone's experiences are different and every situation is unique. Based on the experience I had and those of people who I've spoken with in person, I am very pleased with the service department at 441 Cycle Shop. I would definately recommend them in the future. They offer a very personal service experience.

I cannot speak about the Miami shop based on personal experience, only by what the sames guys who recommended 441 told me. And that was: don't even bother. I've heard that they are a multi line dealer and do not cater to BMW riders the way we like to be catered to .

Thank you all again for your input on my inquiry. I got my answer out in the real word, but do value the time you all took to share your personal experiences. See you out there!
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 7:04 am

I used them once and never again. I have a 2012 RT. Took it in for the 600 mile service. They sent me a coupon for $30 off a service. After all is said and done my bill came to $251.99 coupon included. Here is what I did not like about their service. They charged me for 2 hours of labor. Another guy here on this forum had the same service done on his 2012RT just before I did. They charged him 1.5 hours of labor. I saw his invoice. He had no coupon.
So I actually paid more in the long run with a coupon that they sent me. It was an invitation to get ripped off. Next thing was when I took the bike home I decided to give it a go over. The bike had oil dripping all over the bottom of the engine. First I thought I had a leak then after I cleaned it all up it ended up being from a messy job from a factory trained technician. About 3,000 miles later I decided to change the Final Drive oil again. I performed this task myself. When I removed the fill port gear oil started oozing out the fill port. This only meant that the Factory trained BMW technician filled my Final Drive to the top of the fill port. The correct amount is 180ml. It use to be 220ml until BMW realized it was creating a problem of Final Drive failures. Well I decided to see how much oil was actually in the Final Drive. I drained the oil in a measuring cup and 260 ml drained out. Well above the old limit and well above the new limit. I immediately contacted BMW consumer complaint and reported this screwup. I have it on record so in case I ever have problems with my Final Drive. 441 BMW of Fort Lauderdale are a bunch of rip off artists. They can not even perform the simplistic servicing on my RT.

BTW: They charged me $24.59 for the gear oil. 160ml or full to the top that is a RIP OFF!!

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFloRida
MIAMI BMW hands down.

441 shop has lousy service. Read my other post on my one experience with them.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I use 441 cycle. Kinda difficult to find the first time. They are ok for a shop. Their part girls are very nice and efficient. The shop is small but always seems to be busy. Cant say about the work, i do all my own work, but i have not heard complaints. The service manager does not impress me but again they dont work on my bike. I just use them for parts.
The one in Miami I have not been to. But the area is BAD. But I hear the shop is nice, with a big showroom for clothing and stuff. I know a few that have been there and say, on a bike you are on your own, go there and back.

Zeke
The one in Miami is better hands down. What is your definition of Bad?
It is right off a major highway in a busy section of town. Lots of traffic but far from a bad area.
These guys are good. The parts guys are knowledgeable and very friendly. They have experienced techs. This is my primary dealership even though 441 in Plantation is closer.
I would not let 441 shop change the oil in my car or even change a light bulb in my house.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in