North Central/NE GA. Lodging Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:23 am Thread Starter

North Central/NE GA. Lodging Suggestions

Will be traveling from Western Tn and am looking for a nice area to spend one night in Northern Ga before heading North the next day to the Smokies. Any suggestions for an area or specific place appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Camping or moteling it and when? Unfortunately right now most of the campgrounds haven't opened for the season just yet, but the motel situation is great. He'll probably see this, but PM Tom Gallo (tmgs) about this, and he can put you onto what you need. He lives in Dahlonega, GA in the mountains and knows the area pretty well.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Trip to North Ga

I to will be traveling from Nebraska through Knoxville, TN to North GA second & third week of June and planning to ride the Dragon & other roads in the western NC & Eastern TN area. Will be riding two up for the most part. Concerned about lodging and wondering what to expect for weather that time of the year. We will be spending two days in Hiawassee for the Triumph Tiger rally & the British in the Blue Ridge Rally. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:35 am Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to mention traveling first week in May, and doing motels/hotels/cabins etc. Will be going up to Deals Gap area after spending one day riding Northern Ga. Thanks.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 5:57 am

If you are staying in the North Georgia mountains Tom (tmgs) would know more about where to stay.
Dou you have a specific area (town) that you are looking at staying?

I'm in North Georgia but I am about 50 miles west of the North Georgia mountains.

You will have lots of choices.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:33 am

It's not in North Georgia, but if you want to feel right at home with great food and friendly hosts, and be smack in the middle of great riding stay here: www.ironhorsenc.com

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:11 am
kip

places we like to stay

Hey....

I live in NE Ga and love to travel all around the hills of north GA. Some places we enjoy staying are these:

Lake Winfield Scott - Federal Campground....has some cabins.....some camp sites....probably the most beautiful place in north Ga.....located off of Wolf Pen Gap Rd between Hwy 60 and Hwy 129......

Vogel State Park - not far from Winfield Scott, located off of Hwy 129 between Cleveland and Blairsville.....

Clarkesville - Burns Sutton Inn.....its a cool bed and breakfast in a cool old fashioned town....antiques ......cool stores....etc.....if you go there make sure and ride up 196 (i think) that goes from Clarkesville to Lake Burton along the Soquee river......probably one of the best roads for motorcycles in GA

Anywhere around Helen is cool.....but also very crowded ......some commercial hotels there but also alot of off the path cabins you can rent pretty reasonably.....

Those are a few.....that you can't go wrong with......If you stay in the Clarkesville area u are right on your way to Deal's gap and or Ironhorse which is basically due north on Hwy 441

If you stay along the 129 area you can get on up to Deals Gap pretty easy from there too.....

Kip
99 LT
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Am familiar with Deals Gap area, and have reservations for some nights at Tapoco Lodge. Nothing available much anywhere on the Sat I am traveling though as it is Mini Cooper week at the Gap. Thanks.
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 5:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Thanks for the suggestions. Am familiar with Deals Gap area, and have reservations for some nights at Tapoco Lodge. Nothing available much anywhere on the Sat I am traveling though as it is Mini Cooper week at the Gap. Thanks.
Tapoco Lodge is the best, stayed there several times.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 12 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Thumbs up GA Camping

Also check out Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort in Suches, GA. Their website is:

http://www.twowheelsonly.com/

Beady
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Made reservations at Best Western Alpine in Helen. Am sure it is touristy, but location is about where I want to be. Thanks all.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Sorry, forgot to mention traveling first week in May, and doing motels/hotels/cabins etc. Will be going up to Deals Gap area after spending one day riding Northern Ga. Thanks.
TWO will be open
twowheelsonly.com MC campground, they have rooms as well very reasonable. they also have or had some maps of some not so well known roads in the area

be prepared for any type of weather that time of year, I have had ICE on the tent the end of april up there

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in