BMW Navigation IV - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2010, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Question BMW Navigation IV

I just bought a new 2009 K1200LT and had the dealer install the BMW Navigation IV. Should the audible voice commands from the GPS unit such as "turn left ahead" interupt the stereo where I can hear them over the bike's speakers?

I am thinking they should and checked the settings on the GPS but can't get it to announce the directions. I haven't had a chance to get back to the dealer to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 6:03 am

Garage
Re: BMW Navigation IV

Unfortunately when the BMW Navigator IV is in the Motorcycle mount, it is designed to play it's directions, or MP3 music via Bluetooth!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:31 am

Hmm. I wonder how jkdaws is listening to the Nav IV on an LT?

Not that any of the BMW Navigators have been very good at Bluetooth, but there are Bluetooth protocols for priority. They are designed to allow phones and things like GPS turn by turn to Override music and lower level traffic.

I am not saying that the Nav IV supports them, but they exist and other Garmin's do.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

That's just it, I'm not listening to the NAV IV. I was wondering if it was supposed to be interupting my stereo and giving directions because it is not.

So, I've been looking at bluetooth helmets and am considering the Vemar Jiano becuase it's a modular. Does anyone have any info on this helmet or any other brand that works well with the NAV IV? I prefer the modular design.

Thanks.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:15 am

I have a Nav III and a Nolan N103 with bluetooth. The N103 Bluetooth is pretty good - works with a number of phones, ipod with Sony's bluetooth headphone connector for the iPod, The Nav III sort of works, but I had some paring diffuculties. + for the N103 is that they have a cable to connect the LT's Intercom to the helmet. - is the NOISE. The helmet is always quieter with the faceplate open. Close it and its loud. Lower the windshield and you petter have earplugs.

When it is quiet enough, the helmet spearkers work great.

Good luck checking out the Velmar. I really like the N103 except for the wind noise.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 1:56 am

Garage

I currently use a Cardo Scala Rider G4 set which connects to my Shoei Raid II helmet. My wife has the other unit which is attached to her Schuberth C2 Modular Helmet. In January I am planning to buy a Shoei Multi-Tech helmet, and attache the G4 there.

It was a pita to attach the G4 to the Schuberth, but in terms of working it is very good. We can hear each other (I can also hear the Nav IV as well) up to speeds of about 60-70 mph, 100-120 kmph. This of course depends on the wind noise, the lower the wind noise the easier it is to hear the Music, directions or wife.

Most of the time we do not have any problems, but as with all new & emerging technologies there are the occasional annoyances.

Perhaps rather than buy a designated b/t helmet try this option, if you favourite and comfortable helmet fits the mount.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 6:24 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: BMW Navigation IV

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Fellow riders who are already using bluetooth with their helmets/systems.

Keep 'em coming because I can search the internet and find numerous possibilities but this is where the rubber meets the road and will be how I ultimately make a decision.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in